Search

Passport emergency !!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:25 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TomMM
As others have pointed out, there are companies that offer this service so it is possible.
It's possible, but that doesn't mean it's possible for the OP to do it. 3rd party applications etc may require some sort of regulatory stuff that those companies comply with that the OP doesn't have.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
any UPS store or FedEx office will take instant passport photos for like $10 and amazingly, they have access to the super-secret list of photo requirements that you can download for free on the state department's website so you don't have to worry about the pictures not being proper.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Problems are much easier to handle if the applicant is present: passport photos not acceptable, forgot to sign form, missing information, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frogbone
I managed to get hem here Thursday night. Changed the appointment to 8am. They are getting the pictures needed and I am procuring the form so everything is ready for them to walk in.

Hopefully they can get this done or my 72hr cancellation with miles back in my account isn't going to work either.

I need a drink....
This happened with my son...a bit different as his passport was good for 3 months but we were told it needed to be 6 months. We had an 8:15am appt. in SEA. Got there at 7:00 am to line up. You must have all your documents including his old passport and a new passport photo. You also MUST have your printed travel itinerary. If you have everything inorder as we did....we got the new passport by 10:30am. Should go well.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Hey, you think that's bad--a co-worker of mine who flies frequently to Europe had his passport expire WHILE HE WAS THERE. Perhaps because he had both a U.S. and E.U. passport, he somehow convinced DL to allow him to board. When he returned, the Global Entry kiosk ACCEPTED HIS EXPIRED PASSPORT! (He's now had to pay some extra fees and do a lot of explaining to get it renewed.)

And this is a highly experience traveler. Sheesh.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Hey, you think that's bad--a co-worker of mine who flies frequently to Europe had his passport expire WHILE HE WAS THERE. Perhaps because he had both a U.S. and E.U. passport, he somehow convinced DL to allow him to board. When he returned, the Global Entry kiosk ACCEPTED HIS EXPIRED PASSPORT! (He's now had to pay some extra fees and do a lot of explaining to get it renewed.)

And this is a highly experience traveler. Sheesh.
Not to digress but CBP accepts (recently) expired passports all the time. The very hard part is getting the airline to board you with said expired document, but I digress.
The most common way to travel sans passport is with a military ID and NATO orders to Europe which you will not have this trip ;-) or a national ID card as a dual citizen which is tricky should CBP target the flight for exit control. But again I digress.

I suggest getting to the appointment slightly early. They book multiple people at each appointment slot and at most passport offices there is usually a line, which also includes place holders for the various companies that charge to expedite (they hold spots and appointments daily which is part of their M.O.).

I have used the passport offices in Houston (several times), Miami, Dallas, and Philadelphia and they have always come through so if all is in order I presume he should be fine Friday. Do remember there is an extra 'rush' fee to pay CBP. Make him buy drinks...Good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CBP accepts expired USA passports to enter the USA, but most/all foreign countries would not accept an expired USA passport to enter their country, although some countries will accept an expired passport with a valid visa or proof of payment for an entry permit in combination with a valid (renewed) passport.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:30 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So my rule is if I'm planning a trip with someone, once we confirm that it's happening, my next question is "is your passport valid?" Also making sure it's got that 6 month validity left on it. The last time I asked, my friend replied...hum....both are expired. He was a closet Canadian (and American too), which I had no clue about.

Good luck!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:27 am

And its the same everywhere... (well...there and here at least!) Was in a Post Office this morning and witnessed a very distressed lady being told that her passport application could not be sent on to the passport Office....because there were NUMEROUS things wrong with it... Printed double sided....not allowed. Sponsors signature missing...… Photos did not meet the required dimensions...… Felt really sorry for her... but also wondered WTH? Missing SIGNATURES?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by trooper
And its the same everywhere... (well...there and here at least!) Was in a Post Office this morning and witnessed a very distressed lady being told that her passport application could not be sent on to the passport Office....because there were NUMEROUS things wrong with it... Printed double sided....not allowed. Sponsors signature missing...… Photos did not meet the required dimensions...… Felt really sorry for her... but also wondered WTH? Missing SIGNATURES?
Sponsor's signature? AFAIK none are required.

The double sided issue seems to be a frequent issue. More and more printers, especially lasers print double sided by default to save paper. Not sure why US Government dislikes double sided printing so much. IRS, DOD, VA, all seem to have similar dislike.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Be happy that Europe lets you in with this kind of passport. We can get an express passport within hours and even at the airport in Germany, but the US would then require a Visa for a German citizen which would make the trip impossible.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sponsor's signature? AFAIK none are required.

The double sided issue seems to be a frequent issue. More and more printers, especially lasers print double sided by default to save paper. Not sure why US Government dislikes double sided printing so much. IRS, DOD, VA, all seem to have similar dislike.
Lack of double sided scanners?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by trooper
IIRC parent signatures are required for passport applications for minor children.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Be happy that Europe lets you in with this kind of passport. We can get an express passport within hours and even at the airport in Germany, but the US would then require a Visa for a German citizen which would make the trip impossible.
Expedited renewal passports issued by USA passport offices are regular ten year passports, exactly the same as one would receive in six weeks after applying by mail. The only difference is that they cost a little bit more.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I'm guessing they're not biometric passports Germany issues at the airport. It's the only reason I can think of that would mean needing a visa.

Google search shows it's only good in EEA countries, a few principalities, and if combined with a less than 1 year expired passport for Canada/ South Korea, and couple small nations. It's not a passport, it's a travel permit. Thus why limited use, unlike an actual passport that is issued at US passport office.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 25, 2018 at 5:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.