Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Entertainment System Out on 9 hour Flight - Delta Credits 5000 Bonus Miles?

Entertainment System Out on 9 hour Flight - Delta Credits 5000 Bonus Miles?

Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I am sure it is frustrating to expect IFE and not get it.

But: how about books? Paper or electronic. I cannot imagine stepping on a plane (or anywhere) without a Kindle.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ethernal
Are you implying that you don't have a phone, laptop, or tablet? I find that hard to believe.
I often enjoy watching something on IFE while I get work done on my computer, or use the tray table for a meal. It's not the most critical thing in world, but definitely a nice-to-have so that I can use my personal device for other things.
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Watergate
Are you implying that you don't have a phone, laptop, or tablet? I find that hard to believe.
You may be surprised at the amount of tech-illiterate 97 year olds who are posting on FT by dictating to their very bored nurse. Now insert that funny little smiley guy that makes me laugh.
hi55us and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
I often enjoy watching something on IFE while I get work done on my computer, or use the tray table for a meal. It's not the most critical thing in world, but definitely a nice-to-have so that I can use my personal device for other things.
Same here. On longer flights (such as PRG-JFK), I would've been using my laptop to edit pictures and the IFE to watch a movie or TV show. I also don't take my laptop on every trip, so if this had happened on one of those trips, I'd be pretty irritated. Using a phone to watch movies isn't the most enticing way to go about it.

Regardless, 5K miles is very low. I remember (granted this was a few years ago) my flight from DXB-ATL had the IFE system go out about 2 hours into the flight. They kept resetting it since a "row in coach" was having problems. Eventually one of the resets resulted in the whole system going down. When we landed in ATL, they were handing letters to everyone stating that we'd all be getting 20K.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I got 10,000 after submitting a complaint form for a broken IFE on DCA-LAX. FA didn't offer anything after resetting the system about 3 times. It was broken for everyone sitting on the right side of the aisle in D1.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum and Marriott Platinum Elite
Wife received 10k. IFE didn't work at her seat in D1 from JFK to LHR. Considering how expensive that ticket was I thought that was kinda low ball.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yogimax
Blame the victim, eh?

"5000 miles is "very generous" for nine hours of non-entertainment? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume your response was meant to be sarcastic.
LOL. I'm having a good chuckle at the idea of something named "non-entertainment."

"We had to have dinner at the Smiths. How dare they subject us to 4 hours of non-entertainment?"
"God, I saw the latest Adam Sander movie. Talk about non-entertainment."

Imagine what it was like in the days before IFE!!! Oh, the horror!!! Endless non-entertainment!!!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
I might fly 5 times a year where IFE is available, and if the flight is over 2 hours, I almost always use it. Particularly, I tend to watch movies that are not out on Netflix or some other streaming service (or HBO/Showtime) yet, or movies I missed or have not had time yet to see. I almost always find something worth watching. I carry an Ipad and I have several movies (or other downloaded video) loaded on it, but rarely watch them as the IFE options are fleeting and usually superior. This appears to be a YMMV situation in terms of valuing IFE, but I don't think that the fact that some don't value it means 5K in miles is generous.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
This plus I dont like traveling with a Laptop, Phone, and Tablet and would rather watch a movie on a larger screen since my work Laptop is locked out for movies.

Plus also some of the movies on DL are pretty new and not on Netflix or Amazon without paying for them.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I think 5,000 SM is an insult for a flight that is that long. I could use my computer to edit photos, which is what I usually do on my domestic flights. But if I'm not totally awake, I would rather watch some mindless entertainment on the screen as opposed to reading a book or doing anything that requires the use of multiple brain cells. So, yes, I would be angry.

I was unhappy when they reset the televisions on my ATL - SJC flight causing them to go down, so I couldn't see the State of the Union. I guess that might have been for the best since it kept my blood from boiling.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Couldn't remember the exact number but I think around 7,500 to 10,000 miles for a broken IFE flying NRT-LAX. Also without wifi.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Always assume that IFE will not work. If you are someone that needs mindless entertainment on a flight, load some movies on your laptop, phone, or tablet. This isn't 2004 where personal entertainment options were much more limited

5000 SkyMiles is very generous for a totally unnecessary feature.
Delta advertises IFE as a feature of a flight. Feature did not work.

Compensation doesn't depend on whether you feel that the feature is needed. It does depend on the seriousness of the violation. For a nine-hour flight, this was a relatively serious service violation, as those things go.

Hmm, let's see: 2,500 points for a 20-minute baggage delay would imply that one's time is worth 7,500 miles per hour. The other services were provided, as promised (as far as I know), so let's say 2,500 points per hour, not per 20-minute block.

I'm ruling in favor of the plaintiff for 22,500 miles. Court costs to be covered by Delta.

Mike
Keith2004 and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef

I'm ruling in favor of the plaintiff for 22,500 miles. Court costs to be covered by Delta.

Mike
Ha! I tend to agree that this would be fair. Didn't mention they actually ran out of beer and wine on the flight for the final service! Really?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
End of story - Delta called and said they would add a total of 15,000 miles. I tried to negotiate to 20,000 but their comment was, "we only offer 10,000 to 15,000 for this."
Seabilly likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Love all the people in this thread who are saying 5k is enough and to stop complaining since you had a laptop or phone nearby.

These are the same people who complain here when they don't get their PDB.

Well done OP for getting more miles. I'm with you - would have been a sucky experience.
yogimax and Seabilly like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.