Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Photography equipment stolen on a Delta flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photography equipment stolen on a Delta flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Here is a picture to demonstrate. I might understand the topic considering I have a Masters in Aviation and Bachelor's in Airport MGMT,

Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
OP - If you truly don't know when the camera was stolen, you should also file a claim with the TSA. They may point you to DL for compensation (which others have suggested you won't get anymore), but you should still file a claim with them. At the very least it could help with your insurance claim, but will also alert the TSA to something one of the TSOs may have done.

In terms of getting made whole: what credit card did you use to purchase the plane flight? You won't get a lot from this, maybe a couple hundred dollars, but it's better than nothing. You/your son/whoever should also consider contacting the company that hired your son to see if they have insurance that would cover this. Of course, you'd then have to explain to the company why you left $20k circling around as you left the airport, but it's an avenue to consider. If this is a legit company, they almost certainly purchased some kind of travel insurance for your son on the flight, the question is whether this is covered. If you want, you could consider contacting an attorney. Maybe DL is not contractually liable for more, but maybe an attorney can find a cause of action which would allow for discovery of camera recordings or something like that. However, I'd be surprised if you'd be able to find one taking this on contingency, so you're probably paying out of pocket.

I disagree with all the talk about the baggage carousel and whether they have one in the back. We're all guessing, but I don't think it matters whether they exist in the back. The OP very likely wasn't referencing this baggage carousel in the back. Based on the actions taken, OP is not an airline employee and seems to have minimal knowledge of airline procedures. Myself having probably about the same knowledge of baggage transportation as OP, I would never refer to luggage stored with the airline as being on a carousel. So most likely OP was talking about the passenger-side carousels (of course we don't know whether that actually happened).

p.s. The situation of bags in the back going around in a circle until they're picked up described above sounds inefficient to me, but I'm not surprised about it.

ETA: Is what DL provided the maximum amount DL is allowed to provide under the Montreal Convention? Or is it the maximum amount DL can be held liable for? (I'm not saying I think DL should compensate OP more, it was just stated a couple different ways upthread and I'm curious).

Last edited by jetsfan92588; Jun 23, 2018 at 6:32 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Unless OP son caught very 1st flight in morning from BZN, he would need to overnight at ATL. If less than 12 hour connection bags would be checked all the way through. Thus OP comment makes more sense about bag being in back. Also the bags wouldve had to be rechecked in by OP son at ATL if deliver to baggage claim.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
So I own a digital media company and we travel almost every week with professional video equipment. A lot of professional video equipment transits through ATL with CNN and Weather Channel based there. I have lots of colleagues and friends in the business who reguarlly fly DL. After ten years of flying DL I’ve never had an issue.

With th that said we follow certain precautions:

1- Cameras themselves are never checked. Same goes for lenses and camera media. A client is paying us way too much to travel and we can normally source all other equipment if a bag gets delayed, but we can’t go on without the cameras, lenses and media. We purposely ensure our team is on aircraft that can accommodate the carry on bags and we fly C+ or F to ensure we can board and get the bags on the plane.

2- Other equipment is in Pelican cases to keep it safe. Sometimes we use TSA locks, but not always.

3- We never check with long connections. Even when I’ve done international connections it’s never more than a few hours. If this means buying two separate tickets, do it. We’ve also bought a bunch of one way tickets before and the cost really isn’t that much more.

4- Everything is insured. And check your policy because most coverage is for US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico and won’t cover other Caribbean islands. We’ve worked in the Caribbean and always get an additional policy to cover that.

5- Also when traveling internationally, have the proper customs paperwork. A carnet or for smaller gigs, customs has a form you can fill out and get stamped at a port before your trip. This saves headaches coming back into the US

I’d chalk this up to a lesson learned.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Regardless of reimbursement issues, isn't this something DL or Hartselle would like stopped? Surely there must be security cameras in the luggage transit area where the thief or thieves can be caught red-handed and arrested. This is a criminal matter, not just a case of "lessons learned". If I were the OP I'd be talking to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, not to make DL pay - as others have pointed out, they've done what is legally required - but to advertise to potential travelers that if you check in your luggage at or through ATL, thieves i.e., employees, at Hartselle airport may steal your stuff and the police hasn't to the OP's knowledge been involved.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Here is a picture to demonstrate. I might understand the topic considering I have a Masters in Aviation and Bachelor's in Airport MGMT,

There's a really good documentary about baggage conveyors I've seen a few times. Check out the first 20 minutes or so of Die Hard 2.
Loadmaster likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am locking this thread. Folks are just piling on now and I see little reason to continue this discussion
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.