Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Photography equipment stolen on a Delta flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photography equipment stolen on a Delta flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Accurate title: Photography equipment stolen from Delta held baggage in ATL

Couple things...

First, the thread title is misleading: it purports that the bags were stolen while the aircraft was in flight, when in fact the gear was pilfered from bags that were being "held overnight." I came here expecting to read details about how the gear was stolen from an overhead bin while the owners was asleep or something.

Whats the story about bags being "held overnight"? Held by whom? Were they checked all the way through? If so, what was that bit about the "luggage carousel"? Bags checked through would not have been on a carousel. Was there a long layover in ATL, only checked as far as ATL, and were the bags effectively abandoned there? There are holes in this narrative.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I can see the OPs sons insurance company asking some very pointed questions such as why he didn't collect such valuable items at ATL on arrival and then recheck them the next day for the onward flight - yes I appreciate that not everyone wants to lug heavy items from pillar to post but these are valuable items of equipment, I have a photographer friend and he would never let that happen - he always collects his bags so they are out of his sight for the minimal amount of time. He always declares the value to the airline on checkin as well.

Were these camera cases locked? Were they easily identified as possibly conta8ning valuable items?

DL have paid out what is legally required of them. Complaing to the CEO won't change that.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
If this was held in an office or somewhere static only in DLs control and not publicly accessible then you have a SLIM argument at best. If he chose to leave them spinning around south baggage claim all night then that’s negligence on the equipment owner.

I NEVER check anything but clothes and if it is not being directly transferred from one plane to another and has any sort of overnight I pick up my bags and check them for the flight the next day when I return. Sometimes people think once it’s checked it’s the airlines responsibility to the final destination which it’s kot. If it was less spinning at south baggage claim then that’s the equivalent of leaving your bags on a curb for the day with no one around and hope they don’t get stolen....
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Next time, tell your professional son to either invest in a $10 TSA lock or carry on extremely expensive equipment.
A lock won't stop a real thief. The second suggestion is much better. Also, professionals often travel with one or more assistants, who can help guard the equipment.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Bowgie
...Also, professionals often travel with one or more assistants, who can help guard the equipment.
These days, there's no shortage of ne'er do wells (ie bloggers, YouTubers, social media addicts, reality TV wanna bes) and lots of other dreamers with expensive gear and little actual income (0r common sense) calling themselves "professionals".
jspira likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Couple things...

Whats the story about bags being "held overnight"? Held by whom? Were they checked all the way through? If so, what was that bit about the "luggage carousel"? Bags checked through would not have been on a carousel. Was there a long layover in ATL, only checked as far as ATL, and were the bags effectively abandoned there? There are holes in this narrative.
Come on. The bags were checked through and thus held by the airline overnight. Most likely sitting on the bag carousel in the back going round and round waiting to get picked up and put on a cart for the next flight. As I stated earlier, the bag carousels in bag claim are not the only ones.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
In the information on Baggage Value on delta.com is the following statement (the bolding is mine):

Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These types of items should be carried on — and kept in sight.

TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Come on. The bags were checked through and thus held by the airline overnight. Most likely sitting on the bag carousel in the back going round and round waiting to get picked up and put on a cart for the next flight. As I stated earlier, the bag carousels in bag claim are not the only ones.
What is this carousel "in the back" you speak of? I'm only asking as I thought I knew all of the belts in the ATL North and South bagrooms; I've never encountered a belt that fed "a carousel in the back" at the baggage claim level.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW it is very common when flying from the west coast to the Caribbean to go through ATL with an overnight stop. We have done it several times. BUT each and overtime we collect our bags and schlep them to a hotel. Yup a big ole PITA but then again arriving to our destination sans luggage is a bigger PITA.

As for the OP and as said the airline did what it was required to do. Filing a claim with one personal/professional insurance is next.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
What is this carousel "in the back" you speak of? I'm only asking as I thought I knew all of the belts in the ATL North and South bagrooms; I've never encountered a belt that fed "a carousel in the back" at the baggage claim level.
You would never see it. Just like there are multiple carousel in bag claim, there are multiple in back. Only difference is the ones in back are where the bag goes to be put on a cart instead of where the bag goes to be picked up by passenger after unloading from cart.

Example -

Checkin bag -> goes thru belts -> ends at bag carousel in back where all bags for flight go -> bag is picked up put on cart or loaded in container -> put on plane

Plane arrives -> bags put on cart/container unloaded -> bags put on belts -> either

1)for destination passengers, bags feed to bag carousel in bag claim for their flight or
2)connecting passengers bags sent to carousel in bag handling in back designated for their next flight -> bag is picked up and put on cart or in container for the flight -> bag/container loaded -> repeat Plane arrives untill passenger final destination

If there is no cart/container ready for the flight then bag goes round and round in back till one is ready. At this point the bag is picked up and put in cart/container.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:40 pm

You would never see it. Just like there are multiple carousel in bag claim, there are multiple in back. Only difference is the ones in back are where the bag goes to be put on a cart instead of where the bag goes to be picked up by passenger after unloading from cart.

Example -

Checkin bag -> goes thru belts -> ends at bag carousel in back where all bags for flight go -> bag is picked up put on cart or loaded in container -> put on plane

Plane arrives -> bags put on cart/container unloaded -> bags put on belts -> either

1)for destination passengers, bags feed to bag carousel in bag claim for their flight or
2)connecting passengers bags sent to carousel in bag handling in back designated for their next flight -> bag is picked up and put on cart or in container for the flight -> bag/container loaded -> repeat Plane arrives untill passenger final destination

If there is no cart/container ready for the flight then bag goes round and round in back till one is ready. At this point the bag is picked up and put in cart/container.
I'm not following you here, I've worked at the ATL airport for almost 20 years and I'm not aware of the "carousels in the back" that you keep mentioning.

There is no "back carousel", all outbound bags go down belts from check-in to the terminal bagroom that is located under North and South terminals; conversley, all inbound bags are loaded onto the belts under North and South and arrive upstairs on the carousels in baggage claim.

As for connection bags, they are not handled as you suggest.

May I ask where you are getting your ATL handling info from?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm not following you here, I've worked at the ATL airport for almost 20 years and I'm not aware of the "carousels in the back" that you keep mentioning.

There is no "back carousel", all outbound bags go down belts from check-in to the terminal bagroom that is located under North and South terminals; conversley, all inbound bags are loaded onto the belts under North and South and arrive upstairs on the carousels in baggage claim.

As for connection bags, they are not handled as you suggest.

May I ask where you are getting your ATL handling info from?
I'm not saying this is exactly how ATL does it. I'm speaking in generic terms. Go to 2:53 In this video to see what I'm talking about. You'll see the bag carousel that bags get dropped onto from the bag handling system. You'll also she numerous bags around said carousel, likely waiting for a cart/container and pulled off simply due to no room on the carousel.

ATL maybe different slightly. However in general this is layout used. Bags come off the bag moving system and onto a carousel in back

Some may have bag storage facilities built inline, and the bag is put on a tray and placed in a slot, and pulled out only when time is ready for the flight. (See Dubai bag handling for example) Some may like AMS not have a bag carousel and instead a machine places each bag into a container.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:36 am

I'm not saying this is exactly how ATL does it. I'm speaking in generic terms. Go to 2:53 In this video to see what I'm talking about. You'll see the bag carousel that bags get dropped onto from the bag handling system. You'll also she numerous bags around said carousel, likely waiting for a cart/container and pulled off simply due to no room on the carousel.

https://youtu.be/9wSNsTuXbfE

ATL maybe different slightly. However in general this is layout used. Bags come off the bag moving system and onto a carousel in back

Some may have bag storage facilities built inline, and the bag is put on a tray and placed in a slot, and pulled out only when time is ready for the flight. (See Dubai bag handling for example) Some may like AMS not have a bag carousel and instead a machine places each bag into a container.
Pardon my blunt assertion here, but you are wrong.

With all due respect, I don't think you know what you're talking about. The video you posted ref SeaTac is accurate for that airport, but holds little simalarity to ATL (I currently have Ops in SEA and know their baggage system just as well as I know ATL's - it's not the same).

Let me cut to the chase; you've posted inaccurate information, I'm simply trying to correct those inaccuracies.

Brgds,
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Pardon my blunt assertion here, but you are wrong.

With all due respect, I don't think you know what you're talking about. The video you posted ref SeaTac is accurate for that airport, but holds little simalarity to ATL (I currently have Ops in SEA and know their baggage system just as well as I know ATL's - it's not the same).

Let me cut to the chase; you've posted inaccurate information, I'm simply trying to correct those inaccuracies.

Brgds,
I've never said this is what ATL has for it's specific setup. Did you bother to even read that exact statement in the post you quoted? Where did I say this was the exact setup at ATL? Nowhere. Where did I say this in fact may not be the exact setup at ATL? In the very post you quoted.

Poster early didn't know why a person would expect a bag to go around on a bag carousel in the back. I've simply tried to explain what one is. Never did I say this is the setup at ATL. However it is the generic setup at many airport and thus what numerous people expect. Thus why the person who lost their equipment would suggest it was going round and round on a bag carousel in the back.

Try reading the whole post before posting about inaccuracies.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:28 am

I've never said this is what ATL has for it's specific setup. Did you bother to even read that exact statement in the post you quoted? Where did I say this was the exact setup at ATL? Nowhere. Where did I say this in fact may not be the exact setup at ATL? In the very post you quoted.

Poster early didn't know why a person would expect a bag to go around on a bag carousel in the back. I've simply tried to explain what one is. Never did I say this is the setup at ATL. However it is the generic setup at many airport and thus what numerous people expect. Thus why the person who lost their equipment would suggest it was going round and round on a bag carousel in the back.

Try reading the whole post before posting about inaccuracies.
Perhaps I misunderstood your multiple comments referencing a nonexistent "carousel in the back".

Please review your previous posts, especially those where you stated inaccurate info (in posts 12 and 21). Also, please note that your version of connecting bag handling (in post 25) is also incorrect for ATL.

If I may offer a suggestion; it might be beneficial to fully understand the processes and procedures of a certain topic before posting, especially when posting inaccurate info - this will reduce the likelyhood of other knowledgable posters offering corrections to your posts.

Brgds,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.