Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta bans pitbulls as ESA and proposed solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta bans pitbulls as ESA and proposed solution

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by sdadept
Having said that, I think the whole ESA is a farce to begin with. Most people use the law to get their favorite pet on board and rarely ever get professional training for said pet. Emotional support miniature horse? come on man...
There's no legal requirement for ESAs to have professional training.

For that matter, there's no legal requirement for service animals to have professional training.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
Agree, no animals in the cabin! Except for true sightseeing dogs, of course.

Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Collierkr
[left]

i completely disagree and applaud the action taken by Delta. Pit bulls are the hardest breed to train.
please provide some evidence for this ludicrous claim
flyerCO and jdrtravel like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
We might not be having this problem if the airlines required animals in the cabin to be either in a carrier or muzzled.
I think this would be a great idea!

Yes there are super nice kind Pits Bulls out there, but Delta cant know how well trained/Behaved your particular dog is.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I had an uncle who owned various pits he always claimed they were his babies and would never hurt anyone. Hell I believed him and for the first time ever wasn't afraid of pits.

That was until one chomped on his jugular. RIP Uncle Mino
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I've heard lots of people say "my pit bull would never hurt anyone". I have NEVER heard anyone say "my pit bull would hurt someone".

In other words, pit bull owners are either 1) liars or 2) ignorant.

I applaud Delta on this move! ^

If attack dogs are going to be allowed on a plane, in all fairness, everyone else should be allowed to bring a gun on the plane as well. Then it's a fair fight.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM
I support Delta's move.

On a comparative note, we have guidelines for various things and people choose to interpret them their own way. My commentary is around settings where you may see "all dogs must be on leashes" yet I'm sure you have all seen cases where owners will determine that the rules don't apply to them... Let me clarify that I'm fine with dogs and other pets. My view, however, is that if there is such a rule for that setting, people should follow the rules. Otherwise, maybe it should say "leashes optional".
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by kb9522

How do you any ESA that boards is trained?

In fact, the entire reason people oppose ESAs altogether is because how poorly trained they are.

Banning pitbulls is mind bogglingly stupid. Banning all ESAs is not. DL screwed the pooch on this one.
I agree with your point. I would favor a ban on all animals in the cabin unless fully certified Service animals AND less than 50 pounds. My response previously was direct to the OP point.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by pvn
please provide some evidence for this ludicrous claim
Let me clarify... if a Pit bull has been trained to be aggressive or previously abused then it is EXTREMELY difficult to undo that. I have tried and expereinced this first hand. A rescue Pit bull i had and was working with literally woke up in the middle of the night and clamped down on my foot while I was sleeping. With that and several other bite incidents, I had no choice but to put it down. Two different trainers helped me try to convert this dog and their comments to me before we started were this- " we will give it a go, but be prepared to lose this battle".

Nonetheless, I am not the enemy here... I am just voicing some opinion and real experience.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I had an uncle who owned various pits he always claimed they were his babies and would never hurt anyone. Hell I believed him and for the first time ever wasn't afraid of pits.

That was until one chomped on his jugular. RIP Uncle Mino
My condolences. I couldn't just "like" this post but did want to respond to say I can believe it. Pit bulls are often on the edge and NO ONE knows when they will flip and freak out. Aggression is now in their "DNA".
The real point here is that ANY dog in a small loud space with lots of people can freak out and become a problem. This is EXACTLY why dogs should not be allowed in the cabin without confinement/muzzling. It is also why dogs shouldn't be off leash in other public spaces.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I can understand how Delta can ban them as an ESA but how can they legally ban them if they are an actual service animal that is certified? A guy in my building drives for Uber and said they are required to transport any service animal even if they have a pet allergy.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Can we PLEASE not have this argument again? There are like 50 threads on this that all have the same exact argument. I could basically recite it for you, including telling you who would say what.
Agree. Whenever a thread is started about kid or dogs the thread gets off topic from people saying pets should be banned or kids should be banned.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I can understand how Delta can ban them as an ESA but how can they legally ban them if they are an actual service animal that is certified? A guy in my building drives for Uber and said they are required to transport any service animal even if they have a pet allergy.
My hypothesis is that the number of incidents that involved 'pit bull type' bites and attacks on passengers, crew, and airport workers and required medical treatment is far more than the 1 that made the papers and has reached the point where they feel like there's enough documentation on incidents that they can survive legal challenges if they exclude the entire group of animals as hazards to other passengers.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
I think this is a reasonable ban. Read the stats on how the incredibly disproportionate rate of attacks requiring medical care given the percentage of domestic dogs that are pitbulls. Are we now going to extend our liberal attitudes to a dog - poor thing, it is just misunderstood?

A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two breeds.

Who cares about insurance and deductibles if you are permanently disfigured for life.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...uahuas/500558/

Chihuahuas and other smaller breeds are usually far more aggressive than a lot of larger breeds like pit bulls. The issue is that, when a chihuahua bites, it causes less damage due to the size of the dog.

https://einhorninsurance.com/califor...perament-test/
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
A pit bull is not a breed. What most people consider pit bulls are actually 3 or 4 different breeds.
- Can YOU Find the Pit Bull?
Originally Posted by pvn
Aww, so cute!
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I've heard lots of people say "my pit bull would never hurt anyone". I have NEVER heard anyone say "my pit bull would hurt someone".

In other words, pit bull owners are either 1) liars or 2) ignorant.

I applaud Delta on this move! ^

If attack dogs are going to be allowed on a plane, in all fairness, everyone else should be allowed to bring a gun on the plane as well. Then it's a fair fight.
I've heard people say, "My dog (either pit bull or not) doesn't like strangers. I'll keep them away from strangers." You just don't know truly responsible dog owners.
hockeystl and pvn like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
What do you all think of the pitbull ban? I personally am against it because I believe all dogs regardless of breed can be trained to be aggressive or docile. I think I have a great solution: ESA owners should be able to choose between one of the two options - getting their dogs actually certified by an accredited dog behaviorist. or two, enforcing a sort of bond on ESA travelers. Perhaps they hold $400 as a license to travel with an ESA ensuring if anything goes wrong, the traveler would be insured to cover all expenses. I also propose a large (say $2,000) deductible if there is ever an incident. If hotels and car rentals can charge large fees should they find evidence of smoke, airlines should be allowed to charge fees if ESA animals have incidents.
Delta needs to tread carefully, as to not violate any provisions of the ADA. While the airline does indeed have the right to kick a person and their service animal off of the premises (or plane in this case) for behavioral issues, Delta needs to adhere to the other requirements of the ADA.
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.