Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta bans pitbulls as ESA and proposed solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta bans pitbulls as ESA and proposed solution

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:36 pm

Did Delta ban pit bulls or is this a suggestion? I’m confused.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
A pit bull is not a breed. What most people consider pit bulls are actually 3 or 4 different breeds.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I’m not going to weigh in on this debate, but if you’re against dogs in the cabin, maybe support one group trying to give pets another option.

https://petairways.com/

I’m in no way affiliated with these folks. I just like the idea of a safe way to transport dogs that’s not a commercial passenger airline. They used to operate and are trying to get back up and running.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody
What do you all think of the pitbull ban? I personally am against it because I believe all dogs regardless of breed can be trained to be aggressive or docile. I think I have a great solution: ESA owners should be able to choose between one of the two options - getting their dogs actually certified by an accredited dog behaviorist. or two, enforcing a sort of bond on ESA travelers. Perhaps they hold $400 as a license to travel with an ESA ensuring if anything goes wrong, the traveler would be insured to cover all expenses. I also propose a large (say $2,000) deductible if there is ever an incident. If hotels and car rentals can charge large fees should they find evidence of smoke, airlines should be allowed to charge fees if ESA animals have incidents.
i completely disagree and applaud the action taken by Delta. Pit bulls are the hardest breed to train. How will we know that the one that comes onboard is trained. As someone who has rescued a pit bull in the past and made a huge effort to retrain it I know it is a crapshoot.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
We might not be having this problem if the airlines required animals in the cabin to be either in a carrier or muzzled.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Did Delta ban pit bulls or is this a suggestion? I’m confused.
I'm curious if you don't know about it, and AFAIK no announcement, if they actually have been.

Apparently it's national news article. They have.

Reading the policy leads me to think there will be a lawsuit. It bans bull type dogs. This is way to broad, leaves way to much discretion (meaning eventual discrimination) to an employee to make. Despite the mania, bulls are less likely then number of allowed breeds to attack. Any dog of any breed can be made mean. I do believe ESA are abused. However nothing in this change, helps with that.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 21, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Isn't Pitbull a rapper?
84fiero, gooselee and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Well apparently DL did publish this yesterday, surprised I missed the official announcement: https://news.delta.com/delta-updates...ective-july-10

And now the service/support animal page on delta.com bans "bull type dogs". I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this includes bulldogs too. Not because of their aggressiveness, but brachycephalic (short) skulls that cause respiratory issues, especially when under stress.

I would be super-angry if I had to sit next to someone on a plane with a pit bull. I'd be fine with the Pitbull tho
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Collierkr

i completely disagree and applaud the action taken by Delta. Pit bulls are the hardest breed to train. How will we know that the one that comes onboard is trained. As someone who has rescued a pit bull in the past and made a huge effort to retrain it I know it is a crapshoot.
How do you any ESA that boards is trained?

In fact, the entire reason people oppose ESAs altogether is because how poorly trained they are.

Banning pitbulls is mind bogglingly stupid. Banning all ESAs is not. DL screwed the pooch on this one.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I would be super-angry if I had to sit next to someone on a plane with a pit bull. I'd be fine with the Pitbull tho
I'm upset flying next to most humans, but then I realize I'm too poor for private jets, so I suck it up.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
Dogs are bred for various purposes. That is why bird dogs simply are attuned to birds even if you never took one hunting, rabbit dogs for rabbits, similar for even pigs that root out truffles. One may have to work with them to improve their skills, but you are not starting at ground zero. You finally breed a characteristic into the lineage.
As a bird-dog owner, I agree 100%. We have a saying that the way to get a good bird-dog is to "not screw it up", they are born to hunt birds. I listened to a "This American Life" radio episode about the Army recruiting dogs in WWII and they found only certain breeds were aggressive enough to make the cut. There is plenty of evidence that not all breeds are equal.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Reading the policy leads me to think there will be a lawsuit. It bans bull type dogs. This is way to broad, leaves way to much discretion (meaning eventual discrimination) to an employee to make. Despite the mania, bulls are less likely then number of allowed breeds to attack. Any dog of any breed can be made mean. I do believe ESA are abused. However nothing in this change, helps with that.
I agree sort of. ESA's are abused. Any breed can attack. And Delta will get sued on this.

But they still had to act. Delta is taking way too much grief on dogs-in-the-cabin -- both from their customers and from their employees. They judged it better to be out on a legal limb than waiting for the government to change the rules -- if that ever happens.
This is purely a business decision. Less risk from aggrieved dogs owners than continued claims from injured customers and employees. (There was that recent case of a "sweet" pit -- according to its owner -- that mauled a passenger's face, and Delta cites multiple employee bites by dogs.)

Dogs are not people. Private businesses can "discriminate" if that's what one calls it. I am sure Delta is ready with lots of pit bull incident reports when they get sued.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 21, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I agree sort of. ESA's are abused. Any breed can attack. And Delta will get sued on this.

But they still had to act. Delta is taking way too much grief on dogs-in-the-cabin -- both from their customers and from their employees. They judged it better to be out on a legal limb than waiting for the government to change the rules -- that ever happens.
This is purely a business decision. Less risk from aggrieved dogs owners than continued claims from injured customers and employees. (There was that recent case of a "sweet" pit - according to its owner -- that mauled a passenger's face, and Delta cites multiple dog bites to employees.)

Dogs are dogs; they are not people. Private businesses can "discriminate" if that's what one calls it. I am sure Delta is ready with lots of pit bull incident reports when they get sued.
The dog isn't the one that would be discriminated against, the ESA owner would be. Also businesses can discriminate unless there's a law preventing it. The ACA provides such protection. If they had said pit bulls instead of bull type dogs I think it'd have a better chance. Right or wrong, the public sees them as dangerous. As it is written it leaves way to much up to the front line employee. This is always a good way to get sued. Also worth stating again, that despite their stigma as dangerous, others such as Rots, and German Shepard are involved in many more incidents.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
... If they had said pit bulls instead of bull type dogs I think it'd have a better chance. Right or wrong, the public sees them as dangerous. As it is written it leaves way to much up to the front line employee. This is always a good way to get sued...
This may be semantics, but I thought "pit bulls" aren't a specific breed, but there are some breeds that people would commonly identify as a pit bull. I'm not sure it matters whether Delta listed a group of specific banned breeds instead of bull-type dogs. I don't think gate agents would be any better at identifying breeds.

Regardless, gate agents are going to make a few decisions that can be judged to be mistakes in hindsight. The payout on such mistakes is probably going to be less than the savings in worker's comp losses and similar claims as a result of fewer large-size in-cabin dogs. That is probably Delta's business case for their decision.

I predict that we will be seeing Flyer Talk posts saying, "Delta wronged me by denying my not-really-a-pit pit." And they will get the usual "It's your own darn fault" response from FT regulars...
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
[LEFT]I think Delta should just stop accepting animals all together.
So "you think" Delta should just start ignoring the law because... you don't like it?
jdrtravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.