Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ed Bastian heralds "a new and exciting chapter" with appointment of new Virgin CEO

Ed Bastian heralds "a new and exciting chapter" with appointment of new Virgin CEO

Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Virgin veteran (he was with Virgin Media and Virgin Green before joining the airline) Shai Weiss has been appointed CEO of the airline.

The appointment comes as Virgin is embarking on ďa new and exciting chapter: combining the existing joint ventures between Air France-KLM, Alitalia and Delta with the joint venture between Virgin Atlantic and Delta, into a single expanded joint venture partnership,Ē said Ed Bastian, the CEO of Delta....

<SNIP>
I wonder how this will impact how the JV works. The current CEO has been in that position since I believe 2013 and was at AA for 27 years prior to that.

Above from

Virgin Atlantic Appoints Shai Weiss as CEO

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That's odd.......wonder why Kreeger didn't work out. I'm sure AA would love to have him back with all that DL knowledge.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That's odd.......wonder why Kreeger didn't work out. I'm sure AA would love to have him back with all that DL knowledge.
Good point! Crossed my mind too.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
I wonder how this will impact how the JV works. The current CEO has been in that position since I believe 2013 and was at AA for 27 years prior to that.
I canít imagine it changes anything. Why would it?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette

I canít imagine it changes anything. Why would it?
Beyond the fact that a new broom sweeps clean, there's always a reason behind a change in CEOs. We just don't know what it is yet.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
Beyond the fact that a new broom sweeps clean, there's always a reason behind a change in CEOs. We just don't know what it is yet.
Cliches aside, the reality is that, given DLís equity investment and the JV, coupled with how positive it has been for VS, I simply donít see major changes coming that would do anything other than cement the relationship. Heck, Iíd be willing to wager that DL had significant input into the CEO choice.
cmx likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette

Cliches aside, the reality is that, given DLís equity investment and the JV, coupled with how positive it has been for VS, I simply donít see major changes coming that would do anything other than cement the relationship. Heck, Iíd be willing to wager that DL had significant input into the CEO choice.
I concur and I think that is what will cause additional change.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
He has retired. He's not been forced out - he's staying until early next year. if he wasn't 'working out' he'd have gone now.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the new CEO have any airline or related experience?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Beyond being the airlineís VP and chief commercial officer for the past few years as the article states ?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the new CEO have any airline or related experience?
try clicking on the link in the first article.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
He has retired. He's not been forced out - he's staying until early next year. if he wasn't 'working out' he'd have gone now.
"retirement" is often a euphemism for something else in the corporate world.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
He has retired.
His future was left somewhat ambiguous in what was said.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I really don't understand what Delta gets from the partnership with VS. VS has a pitiful network and offers nothing to Delta passengers. It isn't anywhere near the operation of AF, KLM, or even AZ. I can definitely see the benefit VS gets from having Delta. VS passengers can get to anywhere in the world on DL.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I really don't understand what Delta gets from the partnership with VS. VS has a pitiful network and offers nothing to Delta passengers. It isn't anywhere near the operation of AF, KLM, or even AZ. I can definitely see the benefit VS gets from having Delta. VS passengers can get to anywhere in the world on DL.
JV/Slots at LHR....one of the most important business markets/airports in the world.....granted you could say the same for HKG and we all know where that is going :/
jspira likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.