Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUS will become a Delta Focus City

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AUS will become a Delta Focus City

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...city-mini-hub/

Delta listed a job for a sales associate on LinkedIn whose role would be to “develop relationships and ties in the Austin market with key community and industry organizations to support Delta’s Focus City initiative.”
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I guess this makes sense. AUS has been on a crazy expansion as both an airport and a city. Since UA and AA both have hubs that are nearby, DL would be more likely to jump on a potential opportunity. However, when I think AUS, I think of a city that is firmly believes the first place to find travel is southwest.com.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Looking forward to visiting the skyclub.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Not only do I think this is a good move, I think it will evolve into a hub. The AUS market is already huge and it is getting bigger and doing it quickly.

OK, let's start with an IND-AUS. Might as well connect two focus cities.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
That route is already served by Frontier, Allegient and southwest (on occasion).

I'd personally love a direct Austin to Dallas love and Houston hobby flight with regular frequency. I'd also love to see maybe Oklahoma City and other regional routes.

Overall, though, I want a war like Seattle had where American and southwest are forced to give away the farm to keep us loyal and delta does anything to entice us.

Originally Posted by indufan
Not only do I think this is a good move, I think it will evolve into a hub. The AUS market is already huge and it is getting bigger and doing it quickly.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Overall, though, I want a war like Seattle had where American and southwest are forced to give away the farm to keep us loyal and delta does anything to entice us.
This would make me lucky twice. I moved to SEA right around the time DL was expanding in SEA and got to take advantage of a few of the SEA promos as DL vied for market-share with AS. I’m now getting ready to move to the SAT area (will be living on the northeast side of the city) and may just have to put AUS as my preferred airport so I can get targeted for those promos if they start happening.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jun 20, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan

DL will need a bunch more gates to make it a true hub. I just don't see that happening. Will be a focus city along with BOS, CVG, and RDU (see recent investor day preso).
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
That route is already served by Frontier, Allegient and southwest (on occasion).

I'd personally love a direct Austin to Dallas love and Houston hobby flight with regular frequency. I'd also love to see maybe Oklahoma City and other regional routes.

WN flies it 1x weekly, F9 flies it 2x weekly, G4 flies it 2-3x weekly paltry service at best and plenty of room for DL to hop in
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
any new route announcements?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The writing was on the wall for this as soon as they started building the SkyClub. And the very SEA-like growth in AUS makes sense; doubly so if Amazon HQ2 ends up there, but even if not Whole Foods’ presence will still drive some future traffic.

Texas has been the one main weak spot in Delta’s network since they gave up on DFW. With a few regional intra-Texas routes and expansion of the spokes to the major Delta hubs, it will be a lot easier to dodge AA to the region...

indufan likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
I hope DL's fares to Austin drop. From BWI at least, they are quite high..
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dalewood
I would guess that has more to do with BWI. AUS in generally has really great fares.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
WN flies it 1x weekly, F9 flies it 2x weekly, G4 flies it 2-3x weekly paltry service at best and plenty of room for DL to hop in
"room" =/= "demand"
and if there ain't sufficient demand there ain't sufficient revenue, and if there ain't sufficient revenue the route ain't gonna happen
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dalewood
Just seem to be pricematching UA/AA/WN. Cheapest one-way fares are currently XAVVA0MB fares for $268. VAVSA5MB fares become available on Aug 13 for $186 one-way and are good for Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat travel. Both have a 21-day advance purchase requirement.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond

and then a BNA-AUS flight that could connect onward to DAL/DFW and HOU.....WN currently serves BNA-AUS 3x daily (4x on Sunday), but that would be ideal for me as I travel fairly regularly to the Dallas/Houston areas

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.