AUS will become a Delta Focus City

Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
A pipe dream, but I'd love to see a LHR-AUS flight on VS or DL to compete with the direct BA flight.
I'd at least say that is feasible. BA upgauged to 747 due to demand. (Although I feel a downgrade in plane comfort) Norwegian flies to LGW now from AUS. At least more feasible than any of the intra-TX routes suggested.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I fly to Austin monthly for a few days at a time for work, and a focus city out of AUS would be fantastic. AUS-CVG-LGA and AUS-BNA-DCA as one-stops to skirt the perimeters have virtually no extra mileage, and you could do them with the 717 and focus on the thru traffic with very tight turns. AUS-IND-LGA and AUS-RDU-DCA as thru trips add in a little more distance, but could still work with CR9 and suddenly you have 4x/day 1-stops to both LGA and DCA.

Add in a second weekday frequency to BOS and SEA, and add 4-5 more business cities key to Austin corporate accounts, serve LAS/ORD/MCO weekdays only when there are important conventions.

And that doesn't even start to do battle with Southwest on Texas cities for lobbyists and the like. HOU/DFW may be too tough to crack, but some of the other Texas cities at 350+ miles may be worth it.
The intra-TX flights SW serves from AUS are DAL, ELP, HOU, HRL, and LBB. Only missing AMA, CRP, and MAF more or less. While the DAL and HOU flights are always packed for distribution to their hubs, have you flown on the other ones? I've been on ELP, have an upcoming to LBB, flown through DAL to MAF, only about half of the 733 (yes, -300) were full. It'd probably be a CR7 5x weekly from my admittedly untrained eye.

More broadly, I'd be interested to know what the top unserved (on DL) flights are from AUS. I've had to fly AUS-BOS a ton recently, so I've been taking full advantage of the nonstop, it's been great for upgrades as a PM, even when they use the 319. SEA absolutely could use a 2nd frequency, preferably late afternoon.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ProfRB
I'd love to see a flight from AUS to the Texas Valley. The Valley is significantly underserved, particularly in proportion to its population.
You mean the Rio Grande Valley? If so, the issue isn’t population but income, or lack thereof.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would guess that has more to do with BWI. AUS in generally has really great fares.
Perhaps on Southwest which I have no experience.

But flights out of NYC/ATL/MSP on Delta are always $400 plus rt even if off peak summer. I too would love to see delta compete for this market and reduce fares.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
Perhaps on Southwest which I have no experience.

But flights out of NYC/ATL/MSP on Delta are always $400 plus rt even if off peak summer. I too would love to see delta compete for this market and reduce fares.
What does three hub cities fares have to do with BWI? Trust me they are competing. One just need change AUS to SAT to see that. BTW Can easily find $250 RT JFK AUS in Y (not BE) and RT F for $650. OW F for $300-350.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ProfRB
I'd love to see a flight from AUS to the Texas Valley. The Valley is significantly underserved, particularly in proportion to its population.
It may indeed be under served but I highly, highly doubt Delta has any significant in interest in filling that particular void. That is not even remotely why they are interested in AUS as a focus city

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TakeMeToParis
I'm thrilled about Delta Sky Club opening in 2019!
Agreed, we are as well. Historically AA fliers, but Delta has an opportunity to make things interesting in AUS and we are watching closely.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:59 pm

It will be interesting to see if DL uses their new gates to have increase frequency to hubs and add few choice routes 4-6x daily and maybe a seasonal AMS, or if they're looking to really expand the map with IND, SJC, STL, MCI, MKE, PDX, LAS, MCO, CMH, DEN, OMA, OKC, and y/r AMS service but with only 1 or 2 flights per day.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
It will be interesting to see if DL uses their new gates to have increase frequency to hubs and add few choice routes 4-6x daily and maybe a seasonal AMS, or if they're looking to really expand the map with IND, SJC, STL, MCI, MKE, PDX, LAS, MCO, CMH, DEN, OMA, OKC, and y/r AMS service but with only 1 or 2 flights per day.
I'm actually pretty ok with their existing hub frequencies, especially as they have the morning and evening departures for all hubs. I really want as many destinations as possible, especially 1x daily international TATL.
Current peak daily route frequencies are as follows:
ATL 8x
BOS 1x
CVG 1x
DTW 3x
LAX 3x
MSP 3x
JFK 3x
RDU 1x
SLC 3x
SEA 1x

Gate utilization is as follows:
4 - 8 daily departures
5 - 8 daily departures
6 - 8 daily departures
3A - 1 daily departure

So if they were to get 5 dedicated gates as I've been hearing, they could add ~15 additional flights daily. Put another way, if they choose to serve a new destination with 3x service, morning, afternoon, evening, then they can add 5 additional routes, assuming the one international will be out of a shared gate.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by swuglife
The intra-TX flights SW serves from AUS are DAL, ELP, HOU, HRL, and LBB. Only missing AMA, CRP, and MAF more or less. While the DAL and HOU flights are always packed for distribution to their hubs, have you flown on the other ones? I've been on ELP, have an upcoming to LBB, flown through DAL to MAF, only about half of the 733 (yes, -300) were full. It'd probably be a CR7 5x weekly from my admittedly untrained eye.

More broadly, I'd be interested to know what the top unserved (on DL) flights are from AUS. I've had to fly AUS-BOS a ton recently, so I've been taking full advantage of the nonstop, it's been great for upgrades as a PM, even when they use the 319. SEA absolutely could use a 2nd frequency, preferably late afternoon.
Most of my flying to Austin is from either RDU/LAX/ORD, although I'm about to start a project where I'll be doing more intra-Texas flying for about a year.

But I've been studying their RDU approach since I'm moving there in 2019. CR9s mostly under 500 miles to spokes and focus cities, a few CR7/CR2, and mainline to hubs. So maybe 321 peak/CR9 offpeak to HOU/DAL, CR9 to ELP and MTY, CR7 to AMA/LBB/MAF and someplace for NE Texas. Send most of the CR9/CR7 off to leisure destinations on Saturday morning and bring them back Sunday afternoon.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:45 pm

Most of my flying to Austin is from either RDU/LAX/ORD, although I'm about to start a project where I'll be doing more intra-Texas flying for about a year.

But I've been studying their RDU approach since I'm moving there in 2019. CR9s mostly under 500 miles to spokes and focus cities, a few CR7/CR2, and mainline to hubs. So maybe 321 peak/CR9 offpeak to HOU/DAL, CR9 to ELP and MTY, CR7 to AMA/LBB/MAF and someplace for NE Texas. Send most of the CR9/CR7 off to leisure destinations on Saturday morning and bring them back Sunday afternoon.
I ask out of curiosity since you have been investigating RDU; do you see DL's lack of interest in RDU-CLT as similar or different to AUS-HOU/DAL? I want them just as much, but what would be the different motivations in wading into one/two markets that are double fortress hub covered with only pure O&D?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I ask out of curiosity since you have been investigating RDU; do you see DL's lack of interest in RDU-CLT as similar or different to AUS-HOU/DAL? I want them just as much, but what would be the different motivations in wading into one/two markets that are double fortress hub covered with only pure O&D?
I could see them going either way on HOU/DAL. I think the big difference is that in RDU, all the other destinations are out of state, thus there's no state government hub type of business going on - it's not like they're going to fly RDU-AVL. Intra-NC is a car business, and anybody RDU based who is doing mostly intra-NC isn't going to be flying most of the time and thus the lack of RDU-CLT (which also has a train, but I don't know if anybody actually takes it) isn't as big of a deal.

But intra-TX requires airplanes on so many routes for people who have higher value of time that HOU/DAL might end up being competitive necessities. So DL could omit HOU/DAL and still attract business people who do primarily Top 30 city business, but then I don't know if they could make any intra-TX route really work.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

While the CR7/CR9 have better CASMs than the 50 seat CRJs, DL would be throwing a higher CASM jet up against AA/UA/WN who would all be using lower CASM mainline jets and are already well-established in the market and thus DL would only be able to sell seats at trash yields. To fill a bigger jet, DL would have to stimulate a lot of demand, and again, would likely have to offer trash yields to get it. DL would also be competing against well-established carriers who have a strong schedule, not to mention that DAL is gate-constrained and DL already has gate issues there.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I think RDU isn't the best point to compare. It's a hub for GoJet. Thus it makes sense as to why a number of flights are going to RDU. As for RDU/CLT AA operates 9 daily flights on this 130 mile flight. Just no high dollar demand for DL. Same issue with AUS/TX multiple flights over very short distances with low $ coming in. AA/UA fly primarily to IAH/DFW from SAT/AUS to bring in passengers to pay for the longer flight onward . Yes there's O/D but connecting traffic is vast majority.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think RDU isn't the best point to compare. It's a hub for GoJet. Thus it makes sense as to why a number of flights are going to RDU. As for RDU/CLT AA operates 9 daily flights on this 130 mile flight. Just no high dollar demand for DL. Same issue with AUS/TX multiple flights over very short distances with low $ coming in. AA/UA fly primarily to IAH/DFW from SAT/AUS to bring in passengers to pay for the longer flight onward . Yes there's O/D but connecting traffic is vast majority.
Agreed I live in RDU and have been flying out of it my whole life (and as a business traveler extensively since 2016).

NC is by and large a driving state. From Raleigh in the middle it's 2 hours to CLT, 3 to AVL, and 3 to Wilmington.

There's not much point in flying O&D between RDU and CLT when you add in airport time and then having to get from CLT to downtown Charlotte. Wilmington - CLT makes sense but without feed and the smaller size of Wilmington, there's no way DL would start that route.

I think the majority of the RDU - CLT traffic on AA is likely connecting a la the 8-10 daily mainline flights DL has on RDU - ATL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.