Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying for the “upgraded experience” in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for the “upgraded experience” in F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by MikenFla
My wish list for Paid FC:

1) First to board- before preboards
I think the law that requires a preboarding opportunity for people with disabilities also benefits premium cabin passengers.

I think it would be better if any passengers needing aisle chair assistance board before the premium cabin; if not, premium cabin passengers in aisle seats could be getting physically bumped by the aisle chair and the staff assisting the passenger.

There could also be complaints about all the [service and emotional support] animals being walked through the premium cabin while the seated passengers are trying to enjoy their PDB.

I agree with the guaranteed PDB and meal priority. I just don’t see how boarding before preboards is truly a benefit.
pvn likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I would pay extra if none of the employees ever addressed me by name
Do you know how much it is to pay for anonymity? Celebrities pay tens of thousands for a lunch with "cover service" (I couldn't find the article, but it is about this eatery in LA which specialties in serving celebrities; they have a waiter standing with a newspaper covering the table, for example, to keep passerbys from noticing who is there)
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Widgets
... I think it would be better if any passengers needing aisle chair assistance board before the premium cabin; if not, premium cabin passengers in aisle seats could be getting physically bumped by the aisle chair and the staff assisting the passenger.

There could also be complaints about all the [service and emotional support] animals being walked through the premium cabin while the seated passengers are trying to enjoy their PDB.

even on a reconfigured (20F) 757, boarding through 2L is still a welcome change from the norm
Widgets likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by pvn
So the manager became aware of the problem and you got a refund. That's ... comped. I guess if your expectation is that the manager knows about every problem before anyone tells him you're going to be mad a lot, good luck.
Comp'ed mean complementary as in given freely without being asked. Paying for a FC "experience", not getting it, and asking for and getting a refund would NOT make it complementary.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 20, 2018 at 2:04 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:18 am

I only fly paid FC, and I do it specifically to get more room.

With that being said, I would say its about a 50/50 split between whether I get amazing service or lazy FA service.

The food on the other hand, they can really do something about providing a better dining experience.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Do you know how much it is to pay for anonymity? Celebrities pay tens of thousands for a lunch with "cover service" (I couldn't find the article, but it is about this eatery in LA which specialties in serving celebrities; they have a waiter standing with a newspaper covering the table, for example, to keep passerbys from noticing who is there)
I'm not talking about anonymity. I just don't enjoy being addressed by name every time I scan my boarding pass. Reading my name off a screen doesn't mean they've actually "gotten to know me" or whatever. It's just butt-kissing. Some people like that, some don't.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by emcnj
I only fly paid FC, and I do it specifically to get more room.

With that being said, I would say its about a 50/50 split between whether I get amazing service or lazy FA service.

The food on the other hand, they can really do something about providing a better dining experience.
I pay for F specifically for the room as well. I don’t even find the seats all that comfortable but at least they’re wider and there’s enough leg room to cross and uncross my legs without annoying the passenger in the seat in front of me. Even better, in F I never have to feel the warmth of a stranger’s arm or thigh on me or endure a head in my lap. OTOH there definitely are some other benefits to F that I’ve grown accustomed to — or spoiled by? — such as: Boarding early so I know my carryon will find space near me and so I don’t have to shuffle ever-so-slowly waiting for people to figure out where their seat is and taking forever to sit down. Beverage refills are nice, even if I occasionally have to ask and the FA I’m asking isn’t struggling to serve hundreds of others. I like that F is usually not where the fights break out. I like that my frequently-flying seat mate almost never wants to talk. I like that there will be food. I don’t care if it’s not great, as long as it’s not awful and I don’t have to budget time at the airport to stand in line to buy it and then carry it on in a paper bag along with a bottle of water. I like the bottle of water waiting for me. I like that I can get more if I want it and not have to worry about having to pee again. I like that I can pop into the restroom and don’t have to wait in line at the back of the plane while the FAs are trying to do their jobs with me in the way. I like getting off the plane earlier rather than later not because I’m in a hurry but because, I’ll admit it, I’m impatient and dislike how inefficient and slow some folks can be and getting out before them spares me from having to go to my Zen space. For me, F turns air travel from a miserable ordeal into a benign experience. That’s all I ask. If I can get that, I feel I got my money’s worth. Anything more is bonus.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dalehill
... I like getting off the plane earlier rather than later not because I’m in a hurry but because, I’ll admit it, I’m impatient and dislike how inefficient and slow some folks can be ...
all the unquoted stuff above, but especially this
Originally Posted by dalehill
For me, F turns air travel from what can sometimes be a miserable ordeal into a benign experience. That’s all I ask. If I can get that, I feel I got my money’s worth. Anything more is bonus.
and this

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Comp'ed mean complementary as in given freely without being asked. Paying for a FC "experience", not getting it, and asking for and getting a refund would NOT make it complementary.
I'd be interested to hear your report of asking for a refund for your F ticket after you fly.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
As long as I can get that awful cup of coffee before departure I'm pretty happy. Most of my flights are early AM, shortly after my Venti Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew so I'm still looking for more caffeine. OT, mrs tvtd ordered me one with no ice the other day so I may not need that awful PDB anymore...at least not until in the air.

I wish DL would do away with the snack basket if all they can provide is salted unhealthiness, breakfast bars that are a full meal in themselves, bananas that have no place to start the peeling process. I would love the option of a yogurt/granola in the morning, but of course my normal flights are IAD-ATL/DTW and soon to be CMH-NYC/ATL/DTW/MSP so I guess it is what it is.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by tvtd
bananas that have no place to start the peeling process.
pinch the "bottom" end. they'll open right up. This is how monkeys open them in the wild.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not talking about anonymity. I just don't enjoy being addressed by name every time I scan my boarding pass. Reading my name off a screen doesn't mean they've actually "gotten to know me" or whatever. It's just butt-kissing. Some people like that, some don't.
This is a pet peeve of mine. My dad and I have the same first name, so he always went by his (our) first name, and I have always used my middle for informal stuff. My credit cards, and any legal stuff obviously use either my full name or First/Last.

So, my friends, and people who know me would say Hi, <middle name>!, but Delta insists on saying "Thank you for flying with us, <first name>. It's artificial, it's inappropriately familiar, it's lazy, and it actually *highlights* how well you DON'T know me.

Even worse, my first name is one that is commonly shortened to a nickname - like Benjamin is often shortened to Ben. So when they call me by the long version without considering that I might use the shorter version, it is further evidence that they are just not my best bud.

If they simply *must* address me individually, why not use Mr LastName?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Comp'ed means getting an item and not being charged for it. It has nothing to do with whether you make a request or not. For instance, if they oblige to a "can you comp this" request, it doesn't mean it wasn't comped. But you said you didn't get the soup and they took it off the bill. You would be correct in saying the soup wasn't comp'ed, but it's not because you had to make the request.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Do you snap your fingers to get the server to your table at restaurants? I expect attentive service in F.
No, but if they had a button that made a snapping sound above my head to call for service I would push it..
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Why do people argue incessantly on the internet over entirely subjective opinions trying to convince everyone else of why their pedantic musings are the only righteous and true ones possible?

Can we get an MSPpsychologist in here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.