Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying for the “upgraded experience” in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for the “upgraded experience” in F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Isn't the larger seat the most important thing? How much more would you pay for C+ if it provided an "F-level" soft product? I can't imagine a premium of more than $20-30 for a hot meal and slightly more attentive service on top of what is already offered.

What kind of service are you really expecting? You can always call the FA if you need anything. If anything I find an FA constantly asking if I need anything to be an annoyance.
What kind of question is that? Are you aware of a what a full F ticket costs? I am. Sometimes that's all I can find last minute to LAS. For that price you'd better believe I expect better service. The very idea of someone thinking F should only be marginally better is mind blowing.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I’m in it for the seat. If I want something I push the button. They show up and I get what I want. Pretty nifty.
Do you snap your fingers to get the server to your table at restaurants? I expect attentive service in F.
AANYC1981 and FSUnole03 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

What kind of question is that? Are you aware of a what a full F ticket costs? I am. Sometimes that's all I can find last minute to LAS. For that price you'd better believe I expect better service. The very idea of someone thinking F should only be marginally better is mind blowing.
Are you aware of, relatively, how little a full F ticket costs? I spend a lot of time in Y- on M and B fares that are $1000+ while F is only a $300 more. A Y- seat takes up about 57% of the floor space of F, so on a relative basis, the F ticket is much cheaper. By your logic, I should expect better service in Y...

My point is that you're paying for the bigger seat. The "service" isn't really worth all that much. I'm pretty sure most passengers would agree - otherwise there would be an "F-like" experience in Y that commands a much larger premium than it does.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Do you snap your fingers to get the server to your table at restaurants? I expect attentive service in F.
No, but I get their attention other ways, don't need them constantly asking if I need something. In some restaurants in asia they
have a call button on the table...its really good, works just like in does on a plane....
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Clearly most of you have flown on different flights than I have. I fly first/business class. I have yet to reach a point where I'd complain about someone asking me too often if I need anything. In fact, I'd so welcome a flight like that...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Delta, United
If I am paying extra for an upgraded experience I damn well expect that I will receive. If not, I will complain and ask for a refund.

A recent example (though not for upgraded service, just service), I was just in a restaurant where one ordered and paid up front at the bar. We placed our order for five items, two drinks and three dishes. I got the drinks immediately. Soon my main course came, then a few minutes later the starter. Okay a bit out of order. But then no soup. Now to be honest we swapped tables but when the server came out with first dish we saw his initial confusion and let him know. 10 minutes later still no no soup. The server came out with soup but delivered it to another table that ordered well after we did. Okay, may still some confusion so I mentioned it to the gal who took our order that we had not received our soup. Another 10 minutes go by and still no soup. At this point we are finished with our drinks and the other two dishes. At that point I go up to the counter, ask for the manager to get a refund. She apologizes and gives me a refund. When I get back to the table, the soup has arrived. Too late!!

For the OP you paid extra and there is an expectation. Here it is: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rst-class.html

I would write a complaint, using the above (i.e., using Delta's wording/description) of what was expected and what was not received. I would also ask for a refund that is appropriate for the lack of service.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 19, 2018 at 2:32 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:30 am

i am not a slave to any airlines (dont chase status, see no benefit to it) and fly almost exclusively in the front. and out of the big 3 carriers delta has by far the best and most consistent domestic FC product. I flew UA FC a few months back and while the flight showed lunch being served we were only served a snack basket. never happened w/Delta.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
A recent example (though not for upgraded service, just service), I was just in a restaurant where one ordered and paid up front at the bar. We placed our order for five items, two drinks and three dishes. I got the drinks immediately. Soon my main course came, then a few minutes later the starter. Okay a bit out of order. But then no soup. Now to be honest we swapped tables but when the server came out with first dish we saw his initial confusion and let him know. 10 minutes later still no no soup. The server came out with soup but delivered it to another table that ordered well after we did. Okay, may still some confusion so I mentioned it to the gal who took our order that we had not received our soup. Another 10 minutes go by and still no soup. At this point we are finished with our drinks and the other two dishes. At that point I go up to the counter, ask for the manager to get a refund. She apologizes and gives me a refund. When I get back to the table, the soup has arrived. Too late!!
What is this supposed to be an example of, exactly? There was a mix-up, you got your soup comped. This illustrates what you expect in F how?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vincentharris
partial gripe fest here but also curious how others feel. I have seen a marked reduction in the DL F domestic soft product in 2018 (meals taking over 2 hours to be served once they start, rarely coming through to check if anyone needs anything, sitting most of the flights on their phone, etc.)

i get that getting to my destination is what I pay for and I shouldn’t expect a Singapore airlines experience but I feel like even what used to be the floor for “passable” service has gone WAY down.

Maybe it’s just me? I just don’t see what I’m getting in domestic F anymore besides a slightly larger seat.... (and it’s getting a lot harder to convince myself to pay for basically just that larger seat)
i've noticed the quality of the meals is horrible now. As recently as 2 years ago we were getting burgers and such which were great. Now some of the dishes we get would qualify are horrific tv dinners. Really bad.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:01 pm

My wish list for Paid FC:

1) First to board- before preboards and Diamonds

2) Guaranteed pre fight beverage

3) Priority over upgraded passengers on meal choices.

readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdadept
i've noticed the quality of the meals is horrible now. As recently as 2 years ago we were getting burgers and such which were great. Now some of the dishes we get would qualify are horrific tv dinners. Really bad.
I guess I just don’t see this. I fly every week and am in F about 75% if the time and have been doing this the past 3 Years. I see generally better food. Generally good service. Almost always get PDBs. Don’t get salt and pepper shakers. Sometimes don’t get a napkin ring. Sometimes now get a dessert on a plastic plate. Overall it’s not fine dining but is fine for Domestic F.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by pvn
What is this supposed to be an example of, exactly? There was a mix-up, you got your soup comped. This illustrates what you expect in F how?
Uh, it is an example of if you do not get what one paid for, one requests a refund. And no the soup was not comp'ed. Comp'ed is when the management provides something for free on their initiative without being asked. I asked for and received a refund it is was not served until it was too late.

Here to be pedantic:
Comped: Sir, sorry we screwed up I have removed the soup from your bill as it was not served.
Refund: Me to manager: I ordered soup, has not shown up, I informed your staff, we are done eating and still no soup, I want a refund.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jun 19, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikenFla
[left]My wish list for Paid FC:

OK, what's the problem with the current boarding process that this would fix?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Comped: Sir, sorry we screwed up I have removed the soup from your bill as it was not served.
Refund: Me to manager: I ordered soup, has not shown up, I informed your staff, we are done eating and still no soup, I want a refund.
So the manager became aware of the problem and you got a refund. That's ... comped. I guess if your expectation is that the manager knows about every problem before anyone tells him you're going to be mad a lot, good luck.

Here to be pedantic:
Maybe you should work on that. if you're going to endlessly nitpick every meaningless detail then you're going to be miserable.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikenFla
My wish list for Paid FC:

2) Guaranteed pre fight beverage

3) Priority over upgraded passengers on meal choices.

That would be awesome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.