Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
DCA-ORD (I know UA and AA fly this, but this would be a big one for me)
DCA-STL (They dropped this with the LGA slot swap, understandable and now SW and AA fly it)
STL-LAX
DCA-SJU (Give B6 some competition)
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:02 pm

YQR-MSP

I sure miss this route. NWA served it for many years and it carried on post merger until a year or so ago. I think it ran continuously for about 30 years. Midwest and east coast US are much less pleasant to get to these days.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
It certainly will be interesting. I don't think it's projected to open until late next year. TPAC is such an odd thing right now with so much excess capacity industry wide but at the same time nearly unlimited untapped potential if some of the emerging economies ever emerge.

There certainly are options out there but it is an interesting though if DL can't make SEA/HKG work, then what other potential markets in Asia would?

I do wonder if it wouldn't make some sense to move the LAX/SYD flight to SEA as LAX is still covered by VA.
The key detail to me is that SEA doesn't have any more TPAC destinations than DTW, and between SEA and LAX the only difference is PEK.

I think that DL was desperate for a TPAC gateway, and picked SEA by default, when a long game at LAX would have been the better move. The battle against AS has been expensive for DL, and they don't seem to be making any recent progress. I think they were dealt a bad hand, but that doesn't lessen the fact that SEA will never be DL's SFO, no matter how hard they try.

I'll also go out on a limb by saying that canceling the 787 order was a massive mistake. I know that the order didn't fit with DL's fleet strategy, but I don't see any airlines offloading used 787s to DL anytime soon. Not ordering that aircraft has seriously impacted their long-haul fleet flexibility. The 767 is the right size but doesn't have the range. The 772s and A350s have the range but are too big. United owns the Pacific right now because of a combination of a great gateway at SFO and the 787s. The fact that they are not known for being a great airline strengthens that point.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 20, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by kkua
Bring back the awesome NWA 5th freedom routes!!! Also, build a T-Pac hub in HNL in light of NRT's demise. Use Icelandair's KEF model and give us a free HNL stopover in either direction. SEA is too difficult of a hub to maintain.

KUL-KIX, KHH-NRT, SYD-KIX, PUS-NRT, CAN-NRT, AMS-BOM, SYD-EZE or AKL-GRU
I'd never fly anybody else TPAC if DL offered free HNL stopovers.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
With the end of the DFW hub I haven't really flown Delta. But now that Austin is potentially a thing I'm considering it! With that in mind:
AUS-DAL and DFW (at least 6x a day)
AUS-HOU and IAH (at least 6x a day)
AUS-OKC
AUS-MSY
AUS-AMS
AUS-NRTAUS-CDG

Basically local service and then Europe and Asia directs. Plus huge frequency to each hub. AUS-MSY
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:28 pm

SEA-HND and SEA-TPE

That is all.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
The key detail to me is that SEA doesn't have any more TPAC destinations than DTW, and between SEA and LAX the only difference is PEK.

I think that DL was desperate for a TPAC gateway, and picked SEA by default, when a long game at LAX would have been the better move. The battle against AS has been expensive for DL, and they don't seem to be making any recent progress. I think they were dealt a bad hand, but that doesn't lessen the fact that SEA will never be DL's SFO, no matter how hard they try.

I'll also go out on a limb by saying that canceling the 787 order was a massive mistake. I know that the order didn't fit with DL's fleet strategy, but I don't see any airlines offloading used 787s to DL anytime soon. Not ordering that aircraft has seriously impacted their long-haul fleet flexibility. The 767 is the right size but doesn't have the range. The 772s and A350s have the range but are too big. United owns the Pacific right now because of a combination of a great gateway at SFO and the 787s. The fact that they are not known for being a great airline strengthens that point.
Your point about the range on the 767 is partially why DL is using SEA for its TPAC gateway - SEA is within the 767’s range to major markets in Asia.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:29 am
LHS

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
JFK-JNB or CPT. Actually they had a JFK-CPT flight about ten years ago that stopped in Dakar. This was before they had the ATL-JNB flight. It is more miles from Atl to JNB than NYC The flight lasted only about a year.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
With the end of the DFW hub I haven't really flown Delta. But now that Austin is potentially a thing I'm considering it! With that in mind:
AUS-DAL and DFW (at least 6x a day)
AUS-HOU and IAH (at least 6x a day)
AUS-OKC
AUS-MSY
AUS-AMS
AUS-NRTAUS-CDG

Basically local service and then Europe and Asia directs. Plus huge frequency to each hub. AUS-MSY
AUS-CDG/AMS are the only really feasible options of those you list. IMO AUS-DFW/DAL/IAH/MSY/OKC just isnt going to happen. While AUS gets more piint to point service, it's to other focus cities. It's not going to compete on already flooded routes to Dallas and Houston. Cities that have hubs in both for 3 major airlines, one with hubs in both cities.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:06 am

JFK-DEL
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:28 am

JFK-BKK

Several panes with different version may fly this distance: 777-200, 350-900 & 340-600
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:38 am

JFK-BKK

Several planes with different models may fly this distance: 787-9, 777-200LR, A350-900ULR, A340-500. Thai Airways used to fly A340-500, but discontinued that route about 10 years ago.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Do ~12 flights a year really mean anything? For the 99% of DL pax who fly this route, a non-stop option isn’t available. If DL were to add MCO-DCA daily again (probably won’t happen with most of the routes listed on here) I would use it very frequently.
12? I thought there were only 5 round-trip flights per year on the DCA-MIA route.

Fortunately I only want to travel that route on Saturdays in March so it works for me.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
You're absolutely correct, but I'm just being selfish and noting I couldn't actually switch from AA unless they delivered that. Realistically, though, IF Delta is making Austin a focus city, the ONLY way they will even BEGIN to get elites to switch (and trust me, the AA DFW flights have concierge key members not clear on a regular basis!!) is by competing on the inter-Texas routes. And I can't imagine even wanting to play in Austin unless you're trying to win the honey pot of elites in the city. Fares are ridiculously low so there are no margins at AUS. The only potential the market has is one of the highest concentrations of frequent flyers in the country.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
AUS-CDG/AMS are the only really feasible options of those you list. IMO AUS-DFW/DAL/IAH/MSY/OKC just isnt going to happen. While AUS gets more piint to point service, it's to other focus cities. It's not going to compete on already flooded routes to Dallas and Houston. Cities that have hubs in both for 3 major airlines, one with hubs in both cities.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
DTW-VIE
DTW-FCO (year round)
DTW-ZRH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.