FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1915069-what-nonstop-route-do-you-wish-delta-would-really-have.html)

manacit Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm

I probably have said this before in this thread, but I would love any service to SBP.

My parents live in Paso Robles and getting there in DL is waaay too hard. I end up flying SEA-SJC and then driving, which is not fun at all.

AS serves SEA, so I doubt DL would compete. UA serves SFO, DEN and LAX, and AA PHX, all of them with a decent amount of daily flights (1-4x).

I would love a SLC-SBP, which would be great for connecting traffic.

flyerCO Apr 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1 (Post 31030074)
Wish there was a direct YYZ-SEA on Delta to compete with Air Canada, and open up more good connections/timings to Asia via SEA.

I heard through the grapevine that AC paid Delta to not do that route. I have no idea how much truth there is to that.

Would be illegal for them to pay DL to not operate a route.

ethernal Apr 24, 2019 6:33 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 31030536)
Since different states set different annexation and municipal consolidation rules for urban core city populations, it's best to use metro area size estimates 2018:

Atlanta 5.8 million
Boston 4.6 million
Detroit 4.2 million (add in adjacent areas like Ann Arbor and Windsor and you go over 5 million)
Seattle 3.7 million
MSP- 3.2 million
Charlotte 2.4 million
Cincinnati- 2.1 million
Salt Lake City- 1,2 million

And for cities with only one large airport, the combined statistical area (CSA) actually gives a better view of the catchment area. For most places, this is actually a small change (for example, Atlanta's only grows +14% to 6.6M through the inclusion of, e.g., Athens, GA), but some can be quite large - Seattle's CSA is 1M people larger at 4.7M (+27%). Salt Lake City is actually the most extreme example of this - it goes from 1.2M for the Salt Lake City metro to 2.3M (+92%) for the CSA (it includes places like Ogden and Provo which are both less than an hour drive from SLC). Charlotte sees a very, very small increase (+8%) to 2.6M (from 2.4M for the metro area alone).

In general, in places with only one large airport, people will drive to the nearby "large" airport. For example, people in Athens, GA and Ogden, UT definitely drive to ATL and SLC respectively (both Athens Regional and Ogden don't have any real commercial service for example). Even for places with multiple airports (e.g., think SFO CSA which includes San Jose) - people will often drive an extra hour if needed for a nonstop or for a better deal.

cfabar1 Apr 24, 2019 6:41 am

In order of desire:
MLB-NYC
MLB-SLC
MLB-DTW
MCO-DFW
MCO-IAH/HOU
SLC-ROC
MCO-MIA
PBI-AMS
It would be great to have MCO-NRT but it’ll never happen despite the Disney connections.

sharktums Apr 24, 2019 6:59 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 31032106)
In order of desire:
It would be great to have MCO-NRT but it’ll never happen despite the Disney connections.

I still think (and maybe just a lot of hope!) there may be enough traffic to warrant this as a 2X weekly route. Not necessarily for Disney employees but for Asian Tourists in general visiting parks and Florida. Whenever we travel MCO - XXX - TYO there are a lot of Japanese tourists following us home to MCO.

Cledaybuck Apr 24, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by sharktums (Post 31032159)
I still think (and maybe just a lot of hope!) there may be enough traffic to warrant this as a 2X weekly route. Not necessarily for Disney employees but for Asian Tourists in general visiting parks and Florida. Whenever we travel MCO - XXX - TYO there are a lot of Japanese tourists following us home to MCO.

MCO-NRT may be possible, but I doubt it would be on DL. JAL or ANA seem much more likely.

3Cforme Apr 24, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 31032106)
In order of desire:
MLB-NYC
MLB-SLC
MLB-DTW
MCO-DFW
MCO-IAH/HOU
SLC-ROC
MCO-MIA
PBI-AMS

I would guess you will see absolutely none of those on Delta within the next 24 months. MLB in passenger count is much smaller than DAB, and from DAB Delta flies to Atlanta. Period.

Continited Apr 24, 2019 8:52 am

I know it’ll never happen but I’d love to see DL expand it’s route network at both IAH and EWR... it’s no fun being a UA hub captive :)

indufan Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Continited (Post 31032560)
I know it’ll never happen but I’d love to see DL expand it’s route network at both IAH and EWR... it’s no fun being a UA hub captive :)

You are right, it will never happen.

kop84 Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Continited (Post 31032560)

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 31032816)
You are right, it will never happen.

It won't happen unless UA becomes an absolute dumpster fire again. DL made some moves like EWR/RDU, DEN/LAX, SFO/BOS and SFO/LAX. Now those are all also defensible as building hubs/focus cites. But it was also a good opportunity for DL when UA was at it's worst to try to convert some people to them, but now that UA is back to pretty good, I doubt much of that will happen.

cfabar1 Apr 24, 2019 10:30 am

I think if Delta were to reawaken the whole Delta-Disney connection it could make for some exciting things. They certainly have the space to re-expand at MCO unlike CVG where they demolished the other terminals. I know they have fears about LCC pressures but frankly there are many people who refuse to ever fly a LCC and also Florida is growing daily. Could make for an exciting expansion and indirect way to challenge AA in Florida.

SJC ORD LDR Apr 24, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 31032075)
And for cities with only one large airport, the combined statistical area (CSA) actually gives a better view of the catchment area. For most places, this is actually a small change (for example, Atlanta's only grows +14% to 6.6M through the inclusion of, e.g., Athens, GA), but some can be quite large - Seattle's CSA is 1M people larger at 4.7M (+27%). Salt Lake City is actually the most extreme example of this - it goes from 1.2M for the Salt Lake City metro to 2.3M (+92%) for the CSA (it includes places like Ogden and Provo which are both less than an hour drive from SLC). Charlotte sees a very, very small increase (+8%) to 2.6M (from 2.4M for the metro area alone).

In general, in places with only one large airport, people will drive to the nearby "large" airport. For example, people in Athens, GA and Ogden, UT definitely drive to ATL and SLC respectively (both Athens Regional and Ogden don't have any real commercial service for example). Even for places with multiple airports (e.g., think SFO CSA which includes San Jose) - people will often drive an extra hour if needed for a nonstop or for a better deal.

These days, it's the San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland CSA. San Jose comes first. It is true that I will drive to SFO for a non-stop international flight somewhere. However, I will not drive SFO for a domestic flight. SJC is more convenient to me living within 15 minutes of the airport and does not have the WX issues that SFO has. Even if I have to connect, it's still more reliable than dealing with SFO. That's why it's been nice to see DL actually add flights to all its hubs (except CVG) from SJC. I'd love to see SJC-BOS one day if they decide to build SJC more. Both cities have a huge tech based economy and SJC is actually in Silicon Valley unlike SFO.

fliesdelta Apr 24, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 31033095)
These days, it's the San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland CSA. San Jose comes first. It is true that I will drive to SFO for a non-stop international flight somewhere. However, I will not drive SFO for a domestic flight. SJC is more convenient to me living within 15 minutes of the airport and does not have the WX issues that SFO has. Even if I have to connect, it's still more reliable than dealing with SFO. That's why it's been nice to see DL actually add flights to all its hubs (except CVG) from SJC. I'd love to see SJC-BOS one day if they decide to build SJC more. Both cities have a huge tech based economy and SJC is actually in Silicon Valley unlike SFO.

I keep hoping they will open a Skyclub where the old Admirals club used to be. Right now, the only lounge at SJC is The Club, which is a bit of a haul from the Delta gates, and it can get really crowded near departure times for the Asian flights.

JesseRohr Apr 25, 2019 8:01 am

Still itching for:

BHM - MSP
BHM - RDU (Via just started this route here)
BHM - AUS (Via just announced this route here too)
BHM - SLC (I absolutely hate trying to get places like Idaho Falls, Reno, Boise from BHM)

Unionruler Apr 25, 2019 9:14 am

SEA - BKK, HKG and/or MNL
ATL - MAO
LAX - LIM and/or SCL
LAX - MIA