Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

What (nonstop) route do you wish Delta would really have?

Reply

Old Jul 12, 18, 7:29 am
  #286  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,086
I realize a pipe dream, but PBI/FLL-EWR would be awesome so that I could avoid UNITED.
kmersh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 7:42 am
  #287  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
DAL to literally anywhere else besides ATL. Prefer MSP/SLC/LAX but I'll take anything.

Hell I'll take more flights out of both Dallas Airports but it just won't ever happen.
DL had announced at least DAL MSP and I think DTW and maybe SLC. I believe they were even selling tickets for them too. But then UA sold their gates that DL had been leasing to WN for an astronomical amount of money. And DL has essentially been using squatters rights to keep their DAL/ATL going until the courts issue a final ruling.
kop84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:47 am
  #288  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI/MSP
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
JFK-HND
SEA-HND (not NRT)
ATL-HND (again, not NRT)
HNL-HND (...see where I'm going with this?)
LAX-ORD
Where are you flying that MSP-HND (or LAX-HND) does not satisfy your needs?

If you need to end/begin your journey in Tokyo, then MSP and LAX are designed for you. Otherwise, you are connecting at NRT for the handful of remaining onward flights DL has from NRT.

It'll stay this way for at least a few more years until DL can secure additional HND slots.
TheMoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:53 am
  #289  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI/MSP
Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by hksinging View Post
A non-stop route that connects these two international financial centers is overdue.
Unlikely that DL serves HKG directly anytime in the near future. The move is clearly to send connecting traffic through ICN on partner KE, and offer long/thin routes to the destinations that either demand it (PVG/PEK/NGO), want to maintain a share of a restricted resource (HND) or they have a partner on the other end (ICN). The recent SEA-KIX announcement at the expense of SEA-HKG is a bit of a head-scratcher. DL operated this a few years back and it did not do well at all. One wonders what has changed in the market.

For the remainder of Asia, once stalwart routes via a simple NRT connection are now left to be handled by partners, e.g. GUM, TPE, BKK, HKG -- one wonders if SIN and MNL are on the chopping block next, as the NRT hub (or its remnants) are not long for this world.
TheMoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 9:59 am
  #290  
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 13,286
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
DL had announced at least DAL MSP and I think DTW and maybe SLC. I believe they were even selling tickets for them too. But then UA sold their gates that DL had been leasing to WN for an astronomical amount of money. And DL has essentially been using squatters rights to keep their DAL/ATL going until the courts issue a final ruling.
LGA, LAX, DTW, and MSP (no SLC)

https://news.delta.com/delta-plans-e...las-love-field
LBJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:17 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Posts: 823
IND-DCA
IND-AMS
IND-SFO
and just for the hell of it...DTW-BEY
CGNC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:03 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
DL had announced at least DAL MSP and I think DTW and maybe SLC. I believe they were even selling tickets for them too. But then UA sold their gates that DL had been leasing to WN for an astronomical amount of money. And DL has essentially been using squatters rights to keep their DAL/ATL going until the courts issue a final ruling.
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post

Wow I had no idea. Have only lived in Dallas and been on the road since 2015 so a touch before my time. WN treats Love Field like a child sometimes.

Love Field had 70 gates back in the day. Now it has 20. 18 of which are owned by WN. Just add 10 more gates and everyone can stop complaining.
CloneCones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 18, 7:53 pm
  #293  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,610
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
Wow I had no idea. Have only lived in Dallas and been on the road since 2015 so a touch before my time. WN treats Love Field like a child sometimes.

Love Field had 70 gates back in the day. Now it has 20. 18 of which are owned by WN. Just add 10 more gates and everyone can stop complaining.
DAL is not getting anymore gates without an agreement with all 5 parties involved in the WA removal, which will never happen. Hopefully with AS cutting DAL-LGA/DCA, they can just share one of their gates with DL and this whole fiasco can be over. I would love to see DL add more flights from DAL, but as long as AS is still at DAL, DL won’t have the gates to expand. Heck even if AS leaves DAL, I bet the DOJ and the City of Dallas won’t want to give the Gates to DL.
MCO Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:17 am
  #294  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,165
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Thank you, I couldn't find the actual details so I was going purely from memory. I just knew there were several additional cities DL was planning on serving from DAL.
kop84 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 18, 11:23 am
  #295  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post


DAL is not getting anymore gates without an agreement with all 5 parties involved in the WA removal, which will never happen. Hopefully with AS cutting DAL-LGA/DCA, they can just share one of their gates with DL and this whole fiasco can be over. I would love to see DL add more flights from DAL, but as long as AS is still at DAL, DL won’t have the gates to expand. Heck even if AS leaves DAL, I bet the DOJ and the City of Dallas won’t want to give the Gates to DL.
AA would be against anything that threatens their Dallas stronghold so they would be against it. I think the other airlines would be cool with it if they got a piece of the pie.
CloneCones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 18, 7:43 pm
  #296  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tokyo
Programs: DL Diamond, JL Sapphire
Posts: 1,333
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Where are you flying that MSP-HND (or LAX-HND) does not satisfy your needs?

If you need to end/begin your journey in Tokyo, then MSP and LAX are designed for you. Otherwise, you are connecting at NRT for the handful of remaining onward flights DL has from NRT.

It'll stay this way for at least a few more years until DL can secure additional HND slots.
I want as many options as possible for GUCs, IRROPS, timing, etc.
FireEmblemPride is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 18, 9:45 pm
  #297  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/FAY)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 29,055
Originally Posted by kmersh View Post
I realize a pipe dream, but PBI/FLL-EWR would be awesome so that I could avoid UNITED.
Hey it might happen. Delta started RDU-EWR three years ago and it's still flying!
CMK10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 18, 1:18 pm
  #298  
cfw
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AA, LX, SPG, HHonors, MR
Posts: 516
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post


DAL is not getting anymore gates without an agreement with all 5 parties involved in the WA removal, which will never happen. Hopefully with AS cutting DAL-LGA/DCA, they can just share one of their gates with DL and this whole fiasco can be over. I would love to see DL add more flights from DAL, but as long as AS is still at DAL, DL won’t have the gates to expand. Heck even if AS leaves DAL, I bet the DOJ and the City of Dallas won’t want to give the Gates to DL.
You are right. They probably would have before this debacle started, but DL spending all of their political capital to ramrod a measly handful of flights to Atlanta can hardly be worth it. Meanwhile they do not even offer direct flights to SEA or BOS from DFW.
cfw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 18, 12:00 am
  #299  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,770
Originally Posted by cfw View Post
You are right. They probably would have before this debacle started, but DL spending all of their political capital to ramrod a measly handful of flights to Atlanta can hardly be worth it. Meanwhile they do not even offer direct flights to SEA or BOS from DFW.
It can help establish case precedent. Thus giving DL a better hand if they get into a similar fight over gates.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 18, 9:59 am
  #300  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Canada
Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Posts: 2,492
YYC-ATL. Though I am guessing it's just a matter of time before WS launches this route with a DL flight number - ugh.
SamuelS is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread