Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Transiting between T2 and T4 at JFK for Mom to go to MAC Store at T4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold

Hi everyone! I just wanted to know that if we had no checked luggage to claim if we could take the JFK Jitney from T2 to T4, as my Mother would like to use the MAC Store to get her makeup done before heading into the city for my Uncle's 90th Birthday dinner. We will be flying in for that day only as we have dogs at home and do not want to leave them for too long and it was difficult to get a hotel for the night in NYC as Independence Day is near that weekend. Our flight home is at 9:30PM out of LGA on B6. We are flying in from FLL on DL2286 arriving at JFK at 2:57PM on Saturday, June 30th. It is unknown which terminal it will arrive at, as based on our past experiences, DL uses both T2 and T4 for JFK-Florida fights. Would it be possible to transit between both terminals and again, we don't have any checked luggage to claim. We have booked a car to the city through Carmel as we have had good experiences with them and we will be going to Benjamin Prime Steak House on 40th between Park and Madison, as that is where my Uncle is hosting the party. We can push our pick up time for the car back, as we can get my Mother's makeup done if possible. We have to be at his party by 5:00PM. Please advise. Thank you!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No issue . If they ask for a BP just tell them you're going to a shop over in T4. Their only concern is making sure you get dropped at the correct end of T4.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No issue . If they ask for a BP just tell them you're going to a shop over in T4. Their only concern is making sure you get dropped at the correct end of T4.
Super! Thank you flyerCO! Sounds like this should not be too difficult. I remember last using the JFK Jitney in the Summer of 2017 after flying home from Israel on Birthright via LY and then transiting to T2 to catch my DL flight to FLL. It worked very well and if we arrive in T2, we should have no trouble doing it this time . Based on past experience and consulting JFK's website, it looks like the MAC Store is located in the Retail Hall of T4, so if we arrived at T2, we would take the Jitney to Gate B18. Thank you again flyerCO!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I think you're biggest issue is timing on both sides of this (maybe not departure if dinner ends early), but 2 hrs to deplane, make it to t4, get makeup done, then drive into midtown on a Saturday evening seems pretty difficult to me, but others may disagree.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:35 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by WolfieG
Super! Thank you flyerCO! Sounds like this should not be too difficult. I remember last using the JFK Jitney in the Summer of 2017 after flying home from Israel on Birthright via LY and then transiting to T2 to catch my DL flight to FLL. It worked very well and if we arrive in T2, we should have no trouble doing it this time . Based on past experience and consulting JFK's website, it looks like the MAC Store is located in the Retail Hall of T4, so if we arrived at T2, we would take the Jitney to Gate B18. Thank you again flyerCO!
You might want to confirm that this MAC Store actually offers makeup services the same way MAC's city stores do -- a lot of times airport stores are not the same as a brand's own stores outside the airport and the staff may not actually be employed directly by MAC. And I can't really imagine there's a ton of demand for people to get their makeup done before departing on a flight, so even if they are MAC employees they may not be set up to offer that service.

I also agree with the other poster that your schedule could be cutting it close here, but that's up to you. Traffic can be unpredictable on the weekend.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
You might want to confirm that this MAC Store actually offers makeup services the same way MAC's city stores do -- a lot of times airport stores are not the same as a brand's own stores outside the airport and the staff may not actually be employed directly by MAC.
That's a very good point - your mom should call the store to confirm before trekking over there from T2.

I Googled it out of curiosity and couldn't find any information about services offered there but I did find some nasty Yelp reviews. None are recent but not a single one is positive: https://www.yelp.com/biz/mac-cosmeti...t_by=date_desc
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I think you're biggest issue is timing on both sides of this (maybe not departure if dinner ends early), but 2 hrs to deplane, make it to t4, get makeup done, then drive into midtown on a Saturday evening seems pretty difficult to me, but others may disagree.
When I initially saw this thread, I thought about offering similar advice. I used Carmel to Midtown Manhattan from JFK this past weekend (same service OP is planning to use). Friday night arrival into JFK. Sunday afternoon return. Even leaving JFK around 1015 pm or so on Friday, it took about 75 minutes to get to the hotel on 40th St. Returning on Sunday afternoon, leaving at 12 pm, it took exactly 1 hour to get to JFK. 2 hours to land, transfer to T4, do the make-up, get the car service pick-up, and get to a restaurant in Midtown by 5:00 pm seems pretty tight to me, and this is based on an on-time arrival. But that risk is up to OP to determine. The question OP asked has been answered, which is OP should have no problem transferring to T4 even if the flight from FLL arrives into T2.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I don't believe this MAC offers makeup services. Would be better off jetting out of the airport and going to a Sephora near where you'll be dining.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! We are so appreciative of your advice. Mom has decided she will do it herself and we will just go straight from JFK to the party. Everyone could not have been more helpful and we will think of all of you as we travel to JFK from FLL. All the best to all of you and thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Update: Our trip to New York for less than one day for our Uncle's 90th Birthday was very successful and we cannot thank the FT community enough for all of your help. Anyway, after an excellent flight on DL2286 from FLL-JFK, we arrived about twenty minutes ahead of schedule. We arrived at Terminal 4, Gate B34, which worked out well as that is one of our favorite terminals at JFK thanks to its nice atmosphere and many choices for dining and retail. Anyway, since we were ahead of schedule as the party would not start until 5:30PM and we arrived at 2:40PM, Mom decided to go to the MAC Store before we headed to Benjamin Prime in Manhattan on 40th between Park and Madison, where my Uncle held his birthday dinner. Needless to say, it ended up working out very well and Nicole, the girl who assisted my Mother, ended up doing an excellent job at putting on false eyelashes. I was able to push back the departure for our car from Carmel Car & Limousine Service, as I used the mobile app to tell them when we were ready. Once we were done at the MAC Store, we then used the restrooms and at about 3:30PM, I let Carmel know we were ready to go. This worked out very well, as Shah, our driver, was already at JFK and waiting for us at Pickup Area C outside of the Terminal 4 Arrivals Level with his very nice Toyota Highlander. We left JFK at about 3:35PM and took the Van Wyck Expressway (I-678) north and the Long Island Expressway/Midtown Tunnel (I-495) west into Manhattan. The ride was smooth and quick save for some traffic on the Van Wyck between the Liberty Avenue and Jamaica Avenue/Hillside Avenue exits and we arrived in Manhattan about 40-minutes after we left JFK. Since we got to Benjamin Prime early, which was excellent I should note, we were able to relax and further get ready in the large restroom used for the event rooms upstairs. All in all, everything could not have gone smoother. Thank you all again!
bgriff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.