Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta won't refund Amex MR miles to Amex. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta won't refund Amex MR miles to Amex. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Air China awards not on UA.com (on & off issues), cancelled tkts and other issues

don't know how active/ongoing an issue it is (RealHJ's comments suggest the situation may have been addressed)
Many of those posts are over 1 year old so it looks like its better now

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I'm not sure you guys are really understanding the actual technical process that happens here...

The idea that it is Delta's fault that a partner is incorrectly reporting availability is ridiculous. Delta is not reporting that there is availability, CZ is. What, exactly, do you want Delta to do? Pull all CZ flights? Pull all mainland Chinese flights?
Absolutely agree with KingBraden, just amazing what some people will defend.

Delta is the one REPORTING fake news without verification

It is a fact that Delta checks the actual availability during payment. However this actual check does NOT update their main search results. So person 1 tries to book a seat, Delta does their actual check, finds out its not available and tells person 1. 5 seconds later a different person does the same search, Delta AGAIN INTENTIONALLY AND MALICIOUSLY tells this new customer the seat IS available even when they know for a fact that it is NOT.

There is absolutely NOTHING technically difficult about this. All Delta has to do is verify the actual availability on the search (choose a date page) page instead of the payment page. Delta's refusal is absolutely intentional and malicious. This is no different from Amazon or Walmart.com's stock status!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:34 pm

It is not Delta's fault that the Chinese carriers report flights as available which are not.

It is Delta's fault that it does not disclose this fact prominently to its customers. All Delta needs to do is that when delta.com is shows award availability on one of these suspect airlines, is say that the flights may not be available as shown, the reservation is treated as a reservation request for this airline, and the reservation is not actually final until 72 hours have passed.
ijgordon and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
It is not Delta's fault that the Chinese carriers report flights as available which are not.

It is Delta's fault that it does not disclose this fact prominently to its customers. All Delta needs to do is that when delta.com is shows award availability on one of these suspect airlines, is say that the flights may not be available as shown, the reservation is treated as a reservation request for this airline, and the reservation is not actually final until 72 hours have passed.
It's part of the DL CoC and standard industry wide practice. Since the flight being booked is marketed by CZ, as all awards are done by operating carrier, CZ has 24-48 hours to confirm the booking. The issue is that CZ is reporting that it's willing to do so by publishing award fare class availability. However when it comes time to confirm they refuse.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MCHF
Many of those posts are over 1 year old so it looks like its better now

It is a fact that Delta checks the actual availability during payment. However this actual check does NOT update their main search results. So person 1 tries to book a seat, Delta does their actual check, finds out its not available and tells person 1. 5 seconds later a different person does the same search, Delta AGAIN INTENTIONALLY AND MALICIOUSLY tells this new customer the seat IS available even when they know for a fact that it is NOT.

There is absolutely NOTHING technically difficult about this. All Delta has to do is verify the actual availability on the search (choose a date page) page instead of the payment page. Delta's refusal is absolutely intentional and malicious. This is no different from Amazon or Walmart.com's stock status!
whelp....someone played the fake news line. I’m out. This is getting off the rails.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by theddo
I understand this is a complex idea, but a multibillion dollar company is expected to do more research and keep their IT systems in better order then their customers. If it is wasted or not isn't your opinion, it is the opinion of the person who transferred miles that could be used on any number of airlines and/or hotels to Delta to book a specific ticket they advertises as available knowing full well it may not be.

Delta knowingly ignoring this, even thought CZ apparently does this often, is exactly what makes it their responsibility.

I don't care what delta has to do to make it work, but either they make it work or they should take the consequences of ignoring the issue.
Saying "I understand this is a complex idea" and then following it up with the most simple minded point of view possible makes you look ridiculous.

Delta does not own China Southern. Delta does not own a majority stake in China Southern. Delta does not own ANY stake in China Southern. Delta has as much control over China Southern as you or I have. An airline alliance is just that, an alliance. Nothing more. The idea that Delta can in some way exert operational control over a completely independent entity is, to put it bluntly, asinine.

It is not Delta's IT systems failing. It is not Delta advertising the ticket as available. Delta can do nothing except report the information given to it by its alliance partner. It has no access to CZ's systems, it has no way to independently verify whether the information is accurate, all they can do is trust the information being provided and when a customer wishes to avail themselves of one of those flights, attempt to book it on their behalf. Even if the availability was "real" there is absolutely zero guarantee that CZ would confirm it, which is often where the problem lies. That is the nature of award travel on a partner airline, not just CZ, not just mainland airlines but any airline. It just happens to occur with CZ more than anyone else.

See above, but you look even more ridiculous thanks to the fake news comment.

But sure, Delta is intentionally and maliciously trying to prevent people from using their SkyMiles. On non-DL metal no less. Sure.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Delta AGAIN INTENTIONALLY AND MALICIOUSLY tells this new customer the seat IS available even when they know for a fact that it is NOT
And again, the idea that this is done with malice on DL's part is absurd. Negligence is one thing -- claiming that DL's express intention is to harm their customers is something else.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:29 am

Saying "I understand this is a complex idea" and then following it up with the most simple minded point of view possible makes you look ridiculous.

Delta does not own China Southern. Delta does not own a majority stake in China Southern. Delta does not own ANY stake in China Southern. Delta has as much control over China Southern as you or I have. An airline alliance is just that, an alliance. Nothing more. The idea that Delta can in some way exert operational control over a completely independent entity is, to put it bluntly, asinine.

It is not Delta's IT systems failing. It is not Delta advertising the ticket as available. Delta can do nothing except report the information given to it by its alliance partner. It has no access to CZ's systems, it has no way to independently verify whether the information is accurate, all they can do is trust the information being provided and when a customer wishes to avail themselves of one of those flights, attempt to book it on their behalf. Even if the availability was "real" there is absolutely zero guarantee that CZ would confirm it, which is often where the problem lies. That is the nature of award travel on a partner airline, not just CZ, not just mainland airlines but any airline. It just happens to occur with CZ more than anyone else.
If I log into delta.com to book a ticket, it is most certainly Delta's IT systems I'm using and it is those systems that fail. Of course they can do more than report phantom availability if it is a recurring problem, and they do verify the information each time somone tries to book it. If they didn't include requirements about availability for tickets and awards when they created their alliance I feel bad for their lawyers, but that is hardly my problem.

I expect a company as large as Delta to figure it out, or take the consequences of not doing so. It isn't the customers' fault Delta doesn't know what they are doing.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
What, exactly, do you want Delta to do? Pull all CZ flights?
Coerce CZ (and others with the same or similar into) into fixing their end. Use their might in SkyTeam.

Alternatively, do what UA did when they gave in to CA, and deploy some development resources to properly interface with the CZ systems. That also can be done, and is probably what DL should do, as CZ and MU are a bigger airline (if combined) than DL (are they not?) and DL is really not that big at all compared to the might and rapid growth of the PRC airlines.

Do either, as opposed to nothing.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
And again, the idea that this is done with malice on DL's part is absurd. Negligence is one thing -- claiming that DL's express intention is to harm their customers is something else.
Doesn't repeated "negligence" turn into malice pretty quickly? I certainly don't see how they can continue to claim negligence (or how posters here can claim it for them).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - DL could be liable because of misleading OP. But it is not actionable.

If DL advertises a flight that can booked by miles, but turns out not being true, DOT can hold DL misleading (Note - DL's Supreme Court case is clear about the stuffs about negligence. So I need not repeat).

The issue is there is a time gap between the mile transfer. So there is a question if the seat was actually available to OP.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL GM
If I log into delta.com to book a ticket, it is most certainly Delta's IT systems I'm using and it is those systems that fail. Of course they can do more than report phantom availability if it is a recurring problem, and they do verify the information each time somone tries to book it. If they didn't include requirements about availability for tickets and awards when they created their alliance I feel bad for their lawyers, but that is hardly my problem.

I expect a company as large as Delta to figure it out, or take the consequences of not doing so. It isn't the customers' fault Delta doesn't know what they are doing.
The lack of understanding about how information technology, airfare ticketing and airline alliances work is staggering.

It would help if you thought of Delta's website as an equivalent to an Expedia or Travelocity in this situation, just with miles, not dollars. The *only* role the website plays is to pull the information provided to it from another company and show it on your screen, with the price (in miles) attached. That is it. Delta is not generating any information.

Keep in mind that even if you get all the way through the partner award booking process, you are still not guaranteed a ticket, you have simply requested one. With *most* partner airlines, this is a very streamlined and easy process. With CZ it is not. It has nothing to do with Delta's systems or policies and everything to do with CZ.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Coerce CZ (and others with the same or similar into) into fixing their end. Use their might in SkyTeam.

Alternatively, do what UA did when they gave in to CA, and deploy some development resources to properly interface with the CZ systems. That also can be done, and is probably what DL should do, as CZ and MU are a bigger airline (if combined) than DL (are they not?) and DL is really not that big at all compared to the might and rapid growth of the PRC airlines.

Do either, as opposed to nothing.
The bolded sections hit on the key issues here though. DL, despite being the "figurehead" of SkyTeam, does not really have any bargaining power here. Having all but eliminated its native presence across Asia, DL needs all the partners it can get in the region so they aren't going to rock the boat. That said, I don't think DL is particularly interested in investing any resources into CZ, having already done so with MU.

To DL's credit, when they invested in MU, many of these same issues that had also plagued MU went away. Not all, but many. I don't think DL sees the same future with CZ and vice versa. I think the most likely outcome here is that CZ and ST part ways, which would be unfortunate for those of us who travel the region often, but not the end of the world. Until then though, issues like this are going to happen and I just don't see any way DL can fix it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:31 pm

It is amazing that even airlines have fanatic fanboys
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:47 pm

They just need to bring in an expert!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:43 am

The lack of understanding about how information technology, airfare ticketing and airline alliances work is staggering.

It would help if you thought of Delta's website as an equivalent to an Expedia or Travelocity in this situation, just with miles, not dollars. The *only* role the website plays is to pull the information provided to it from another company and show it on your screen, with the price (in miles) attached. That is it. Delta is not generating any information.

Keep in mind that even if you get all the way through the partner award booking process, you are still not guaranteed a ticket, you have simply requested one. With *most* partner airlines, this is a very streamlined and easy process. With CZ it is not. It has nothing to do with Delta's systems or policies and everything to do with CZ.
Why is that the customer's fault? Why should the customer take the responsibility for Delta's faults, and not Delta?

It is one thing that things happen, but things happen with CZ regularly. Delta should deal with it, if Travelocity allowed you to book tickets that didn't exist with some regularity I'm sure there would be complaints about that, too.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Why is that the customer's fault? Why should the customer take the responsibility for Delta's faults, and not Delta?

It is one thing that things happen, but things happen with CZ regularly. Delta should deal with it, if Travelocity allowed you to book tickets that didn't exist with some regularity I'm sure there would be complaints about that, too.
However this comment show a lack of understanding how the sale of flights work. How it's worked for decades. DL is acting as no more than a travel agent when booking another carriers flights. In fact DL CoC states like all airlines, they're only acting like a TA in regards to any other carriers flight they book. The flights exist, however the other airline is coming back and saying "NO, we won't give passenger space on our flight." UA prpvides a warning when booking other carriers about this fact. It might be nice if DL did, however it doesn't mean they're being deceptive. After all, this is how it's been done for decades. It's a matter of we expect instant satisfaction and not understanding the complicated technology underlying selling a ticket on OAL.
RumPatrol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.