Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Connecting to MU/Transit in Shanghai (PVG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI

I am going DTW-PVG on DL and then continuing on to PVG-CEB on China Eastern (MU). This trip is on two different tickets as it was cheaper to book them separately. Here are my questions:
1. Would DL be able to check my luggage all way through to CEB?
2. Since the PVG-CEB was actually on DL miles and ticket issued by DL, would DL be able to give me my boarding pass for the PVG-CEB leg on MU?
3. If not, what is my best option to get my boarding pass for the PVG-CEB leg before I board my DTW-PVG flight?
4. What is the transit process in PVG? If I don't get a boarding pass before I land in PVG, what do I need to do in PVG? Is their a transit desk in PVG that will issue me my boarding pass? What do I do with luggage?
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Delta may be able to interline your baggage to destination. If you do get to interline your baggage, there is a transit desk in PVG. There may be a line up for it. Otherwise, the main check-in queue is very long - but if you're SkyTeam Elite (e.g. Delta PM) , the SkyPriority check-in **section** is very lovely (there are the equivalent of two aisles at check-in devoted to SkyPriority).

Leave lots of time, as many of MU's gates require a bus.

Usually I fly through PVG on MU only, but report back with the process. PVG has never been a great transit experience IMO.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
I am going DTW-PVG on DL and then continuing on to PVG-CEB on China Eastern (MU). This trip is on two different tickets as it was cheaper to book them separately. Here are my questions:
1. Would DL be able to check my luggage all way through to CEB?
2. Since the PVG-CEB was actually on DL miles and ticket issued by DL, would DL be able to give me my boarding pass for the PVG-CEB leg on MU?
3. If not, what is my best option to get my boarding pass for the PVG-CEB leg before I board my DTW-PVG flight?
4. What is the transit process in PVG? If I don't get a boarding pass before I land in PVG, what do I need to do in PVG? Is their a transit desk in PVG that will issue me my boarding pass? What do I do with luggage?
Thanks for any help.
As a Wahoo, I probably shouldn’t be responding, but I’ll try my best at answering some of your questions

1) DL will generally not be able to check your bags all the way through because it’s not on the same PNR. You might be able to get an agent to help you, but it’s complicated because your itinerary involves MU on a separate ticket. I imagine that your bags will probably need to be weighed and processed by MU agents at the check-in desk. Then again, you might find an agent who can really do some magic — I’ve had this happen in the past. A lot will depend on how much energy the DL agent will want to put into this...

2) I’m 99.9999% sure that DL won’t be able to print off your BP for an MU ticket. They’ll likely refer you to the transit desk or possibly the check-in desk for this because your flight officially originates in PVG.

3) You can try to get your BP online via the MU site or app, though, TBH, both are really buggy. I was unable to check in for my flight online from CEB.

4) I just got back from this trip to CEB, and it was hectic because of my delayed flight from CEB to PVG. Not only did we sit on the tarmac for 15 minutes at PVG after a 3 hour delay, we parked at a remote stand close to where the new terminal is being constructed — it was far away. Then, we had to be bussed all the way to immigration/customs. From there, I had to re-clear security and then get my passport scanned. The lines, even for J pax, were messy. I didn’t check luggage, and if you plan on checking luggage on a separate ticket, I imagine that you’ll likely need to pick up your bags and then re-check them at the check-in desk.

Good luck!

BenA likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
1) Yes, Delta can check your bags all the way through, as MU is a partner where they do this, even on two different tickets. If the check-in agent in DTW gives you a hard time, push back and have them look it up. I had this issue in ATL earlier this year, and they looked it up. No issue once they did.

2) It's been my experience that the operating carrier must check you in, not who you booked the flight through. So you'd need to check-in with MU. PVG has free Wi-Fi in the arrivals area near immigration. I don't remember seeing a transfer desk at all prior to immigration; but I didn't need it, so I wasn't looking for it.

3) Try MU online check-in? Never done it. Always checked in at the airport when I've flown MU.

4) Transit for I-I, when I did MU-MU wasn't bad, pretty painless. I can't imagine DL-MU would be different as DL parks their jets at the same terminal as the other MU jets. It's really a beautiful sight seeing DL jets over there. Anyway, you'll walk down this long hallway. Go to the automated kiosk, scan your passport and fingers. Take a left in the arrivals hall, as you don't want to go through immigration. You'll use automated gates. Scan your passport and boarding pass and then go on to security. Look for the VIP line as you're a Skyteam Elite+. Just act as if you're supposed to be there and you'll be fine. Not once did anyone ask to check my boarding pass when I went to those lines; the lines don't explicitly say Skyteam Priority. Then you're in the international terminal. Not a painful process at all. Though the terminal is boring AF. The lounge isn't bad, but there's no view at all. Second floor is AC'd quite nicely, and is quiet. Agents there all speak English well, or they'll find someone who speaks well.

Maybe I've just been really lucky this year as I've yet to have an issue at PVG. I guess the MU flights to/from JFK are at off peak hours?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Delta may be able to interline your baggage to destination. If you do get to interline your baggage, there is a transit desk in PVG. There may be a line up for it. Otherwise, the main check-in queue is very long - but if you're SkyTeam Elite (e.g. Delta PM) , the SkyPriority check-in **section** is very lovely (there are the equivalent of two aisles at check-in devoted to SkyPriority).

Leave lots of time, as many of MU's gates require a bus.

Usually I fly through PVG on MU only, but report back with the process. PVG has never been a great transit experience IMO.
Thanks for the response.

Both trips actually show up on my DL accounts as the PVG-CEB trip was booked thru DL with DL ticket number.

Yes, I am DL PM, so it's good to hear that will help. I have almost 5 hrs layover at PVG, arriving from Detroit at 6:35PM and my CEB flight doesn't leave until 11:20PM. When I booked it originally, it was supposed to leave an hr later (12:20AM). Would that be enough time? Is it less people at night?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06

As a Wahoo, I probably shouldn’t be responding, but I’ll try my best at answering some of your questions

1) DL will generally not be able to check your bags all the way through because it’s not on the same PNR. You might be able to get an agent to help you, but it’s complicated because your itinerary involves MU on a separate ticket. I imagine that your bags will probably need to be weighed and processed by MU agents at the check-in desk. Then again, you might find an agent who can really do some magic — I’ve had this happen in the past. A lot will depend on how much energy the DL agent will want to put into this...

2) I’m 99.9999% sure that DL won’t be able to print off your BP for an MU ticket. They’ll likely refer you to the transit desk or possibly the check-in desk for this because your flight officially originates in PVG.

3) You can try to get your BP online via the MU site or app, though, TBH, both are really buggy. I was unable to check in for my flight online from CEB.

4) I just got back from this trip to CEB, and it was hectic because of my delayed flight from CEB to PVG. Not only did we sit on the tarmac for 15 minutes at PVG after a 3 hour delay, we parked at a remote stand close to where the new terminal is being constructed — it was far away. Then, we had to be bussed all the way to immigration/customs. From there, I had to re-clear security and then get my passport scanned. The lines, even for J pax, were messy. I didn’t check luggage, and if you plan on checking luggage on a separate ticket, I imagine that you’ll likely need to pick up your bags and then re-check them at the check-in desk.

Good luck!

Thanks Hoos! If we just talk about basketball, then you would be okay

CEB has always been bad with departures. Never had a flight that wasn't delayed. I have four hrs layover on my return flight to DTW but it will be in morning.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
1) Yes, Delta can check your bags all the way through, as MU is a partner where they do this, even on two different tickets. If the check-in agent in DTW gives you a hard time, push back and have them look it up. I had this issue in ATL earlier this year, and they looked it up. No issue once they did.

2) It's been my experience that the operating carrier must check you in, not who you booked the flight through. So you'd need to check-in with MU. PVG has free Wi-Fi in the arrivals area near immigration. I don't remember seeing a transfer desk at all prior to immigration; but I didn't need it, so I wasn't looking for it.

3) Try MU online check-in? Never done it. Always checked in at the airport when I've flown MU.

4) Transit for I-I, when I did MU-MU wasn't bad, pretty painless. I can't imagine DL-MU would be different as DL parks their jets at the same terminal as the other MU jets. It's really a beautiful sight seeing DL jets over there. Anyway, you'll walk down this long hallway. Go to the automated kiosk, scan your passport and fingers. Take a left in the arrivals hall, as you don't want to go through immigration. You'll use automated gates. Scan your passport and boarding pass and then go on to security. Look for the VIP line as you're a Skyteam Elite+. Just act as if you're supposed to be there and you'll be fine. Not once did anyone ask to check my boarding pass when I went to those lines; the lines don't explicitly say Skyteam Priority. Then you're in the international terminal. Not a painful process at all. Though the terminal is boring AF. The lounge isn't bad, but there's no view at all. Second floor is AC'd quite nicely, and is quiet. Agents there all speak English well, or they'll find someone who speaks well.

Maybe I've just been really lucky this year as I've yet to have an issue at PVG. I guess the MU flights to/from JFK are at off peak hours?
Thanks. That helps a lot and makes me optimistic about this trip. First time I am doing this through PVG. I normally do ICN or NRT.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

So does anyone know if there is a transit desk for MU in the Arrival Hall prior to Immigration?

Anyone had experience with online check-in with MU?

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by G0H0KIES
So does anyone know if there is a transit desk for MU in the Arrival Hall prior to Immigration?

Anyone had experience with online check-in with MU?

Thanks.
Did you book through Delta? Or through MU?

If you booked through Delta, online check-in will take you to the MU website where you can complete the check in. I suspect it’s as easy if you book through MU.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:19 pm
21A

Anyway, you'll walk down this long hallway. Go to the automated kiosk, scan your passport and fingers.
I don’t think you need to do the fingerprint scan kiosk for an I-I transit... I think that’s a China entry thing.

I don’t recall seeing MU transit desks before the transfer area, but I had a through boarding pass so I wasn’t looking for them. The automated international transit gates do require a boarding pass for scanning, but there is a human-attended line to the side of the bank of gates and I don’t know if the same requirement applies there. They do seem to have a lot of DL and MU staff meeting arrivals in the sterile corridor (especially flagging tight connections) so one of them should be able to assist you.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I just landed in PVG a few hours ago. Entering in to China. All I can say there are a lot of signs posted for transfers as you exit the terminal and head for immigration, or your next flight.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 21A

I don’t think you need to do the fingerprint scan kiosk for an I-I transit... I think that’s a China entry thing.

I don’t recall seeing MU transit desks before the transfer area, but I had a through boarding pass so I wasn’t looking for them. The automated international transit gates do require a boarding pass for scanning, but there is a human-attended line to the side of the bank of gates and I don’t know if the same requirement applies there. They do seem to have a lot of DL and MU staff meeting arrivals in the sterile corridor (especially flagging tight connections) so one of them should be able to assist you.
In all my flights to China, I've never had my fingers scanned. Taiwan, yes, PRC, no.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by 21A
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In all my flights to China, I've never had my fingers scanned. Taiwan, yes, PRC, no.
When I did I-I in March I didn't have to do it. I don't even remember seeing the stands on that trip. But in April when I did I-D I had an airport staff member direct me to one; these were prior to entering the hall with immigration lines. They scanned my prints again at the immigration counter, so I'm not sure why I scanned before getting in line...
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles
But in April when I did I-D I had an airport staff member direct me to one; these were prior to entering the hall with immigration lines. They scanned my prints again at the immigration counter, so I'm not sure why I scanned before getting in line...
2-factor authentication probably? Dunno makes no sense.

Just like the sign that says if you have a Foreigner's Residence Permit, you don't need to fill out an arrival card. Yet, this morning, I was asked for an arrival card. That's not what the sign says....

China things..
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

Did you book through Delta? Or through MU?

If you booked through Delta, online check-in will take you to the MU website where you can complete the check in. I suspect it’s as easy if you book through MU.
Booked through DL but its awards and separate ticket from the DTW-PVG leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.