FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Overheard by Delta employees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1914544-overheard-delta-employees.html)

rucksack Jun 15, 2018 10:35 am

Overheard by Delta employees

I couldn’t find a thread on this, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread dedicated to all of the chatter overheard between Delta pilots, FAs, GAs, etc.

I’ll kick it off with one from today between a middle-aged pilot (let’s call him Mike because he looked like Mike McClintock from Veep), and a young pilot (let’s call him Ham because he looked like Ham from The Sandlot) in line at Starbucks in DTW.

Ham: I’m going to stick around for a little bit and then go over to United
Mike: (audible sighs) Untied’s gonna break
Ham: Delta’s gonna break!
Mike: I believe in Delta. They take care of their people.
[Some chatter back and forth about a hiring freeze/slowdown at Delta, the details of which I can’t precisely recall]
Ham: (foot in mouth)
Mike: Honestly, I don’t even know why I hang out with you

av8rsamr Jun 15, 2018 12:23 pm

I personally don't think it's very considerate to post what we may overhear (unless maybe it directly affects the passengers) Sure, it's interesting to get an idea for the behind the scenes culture, but I think 'exposing' these conversations isn't a good idea. Just my two cents!

Asiaflyguy Jun 15, 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac (Post 29870394)
I couldn’t find a thread on this, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread dedicated to all of the chatter overheard between Delta pilots, FAs, GAs, etc.

I’ll kick it off with one from today between a middle-aged pilot (let’s call him Mike because he looked like Mike McClintock from Veep), and a young pilot (let’s call him Ham because he looked like Ham from The Sandlot) in line at Starbucks in DTW.

Ham: I’m going to stick around for a little bit and then go over to United
Mike: (audible sighs) Untied’s gonna break
Ham: Delta’s gonna break!
Mike: I believe in Delta. They take care of their people.
[Some chatter back and forth about a hiring freeze/slowdown at Delta, the details of which I can’t precisely recall]
Ham: (foot in mouth)
Mike: Honestly, I don’t even know why I hang out with you

And this is interesting, why??

flyerCO Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by av8rsamr (Post 29870728)
I personally don't think it's very considerate to post what we may overhear (unless maybe it directly affects the passengers) Sure, it's interesting to get an idea for the behind the scenes culture, but I think 'exposing' these conversations isn't a good idea. Just my two cents!

Have to agree. Also agree with other poster. How is what was posted interesting?

rucksack Jun 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 29871318)
Have to agree. Also agree with other poster. How is what was posted interesting?

As a customer and a shareholder, I find it interesting to know what Delta employee think of the company, their management, new policies, etc.

As far as whether it’s respectful to anonymously post things overheard in public spaces, I’m sure there will be disagreement here.

If I’m off-base, Mods please close and delete.

HWGeeks Jun 15, 2018 4:25 pm

if this thread is disrespectful, so is the one of taking pics people doing bad things on planes and others.

readywhenyouare Jun 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Are you sure these weren't regional pilots? I can't imagine legacy airline pilots ever switching airlines.

pbarnette Jun 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac (Post 29871406)
As a customer and a shareholder, I find it interesting to know what Delta employee think of the company, their management, new policies, etc.

I'll save you the effort of spying on private conversations: employees everywhere whine and complain about their company, their management, new policies, etc.

You are welcome.

DavidDTW Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29871455)
Are you sure these weren't regional pilots? I can't imagine legacy airline pilots ever switching airlines.

Maybe they were just trying to get a jump seat to go home? That comment could mean a multitude of things.

757FO Jun 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette (Post 29871479)
I'll save you the effort of spying on private conversations: employees everywhere whine and complain about their company, their management, new policies, etc.

You are welcome.

Amen! I'm sure the OP had good intentions with this thread, but I'm pretty sure each and everyone of us has complained about work to a co-worker at some point....

Webogirl Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

Well, the thread title is completely wrong. I would at the very least, suggest "Delta Employees Overheard."
I can actually see how overhearing a humorous conversation could be entertaining and worth sharing (isn't there a similar thread that is geared toward overheard conversations on Delta flights?). However, the opening post was not at all.

rucksack Jun 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Webogirl (Post 29871534)
Well, the thread title is completely wrong. I would at the very least, suggest "Delta Employees Overheard."

Am I allowed to blame it on the Woodford? ;)

Webogirl Jun 15, 2018 7:01 pm

I would.

DCP2016 Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm

I was sitting in a diner in downtown Atlanta right after the merger was done with and a couple former Northwest now Delta pilots were in the booth behind us complaining that they were PDX based and now have to commute to ATL lol.

hotturnip Jun 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Well, I thought it was kind of a funny exchange, especially the punch line at the end. And I don't see any problem with relating stuff people say loudly enough in a public space for others to hear. It's not as though the OP was holding a glass to the wall of the employee lounge. Just leave out any identifying info.

I deem this topic as legitimately entertaining. If you are offended, now you know not to read it.