Overheard by Delta employees

Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Overheard by Delta employees

I couldnt find a thread on this, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread dedicated to all of the chatter overheard between Delta pilots, FAs, GAs, etc.

Ill kick it off with one from today between a middle-aged pilot (lets call him Mike because he looked like Mike McClintock from Veep), and a young pilot (lets call him Ham because he looked like Ham from The Sandlot) in line at Starbucks in DTW.

Ham: Im going to stick around for a little bit and then go over to United
Mike: (audible sighs) Untieds gonna break
Ham: Deltas gonna break!
Mike: I believe in Delta. They take care of their people.
[Some chatter back and forth about a hiring freeze/slowdown at Delta, the details of which I cant precisely recall]
Ham: (foot in mouth)
Mike: Honestly, I dont even know why I hang out with you
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
I personally don't think it's very considerate to post what we may overhear (unless maybe it directly affects the passengers) Sure, it's interesting to get an idea for the behind the scenes culture, but I think 'exposing' these conversations isn't a good idea. Just my two cents!
flyerCO likes this.

Last edited by av8rsamr; Jun 15, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I couldnt find a thread on this, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread dedicated to all of the chatter overheard between Delta pilots, FAs, GAs, etc.

Ill kick it off with one from today between a middle-aged pilot (lets call him Mike because he looked like Mike McClintock from Veep), and a young pilot (lets call him Ham because he looked like Ham from The Sandlot) in line at Starbucks in DTW.

Ham: Im going to stick around for a little bit and then go over to United
Mike: (audible sighs) Untieds gonna break
Ham: Deltas gonna break!
Mike: I believe in Delta. They take care of their people.
[Some chatter back and forth about a hiring freeze/slowdown at Delta, the details of which I cant precisely recall]
Ham: (foot in mouth)
Mike: Honestly, I dont even know why I hang out with you

And this is interesting, why??
flyerCO, wlau, trooper and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by av8rsamr
I personally don't think it's very considerate to post what we may overhear (unless maybe it directly affects the passengers) Sure, it's interesting to get an idea for the behind the scenes culture, but I think 'exposing' these conversations isn't a good idea. Just my two cents!
Have to agree. Also agree with other poster. How is what was posted interesting?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have to agree. Also agree with other poster. How is what was posted interesting?
As a customer and a shareholder, I find it interesting to know what Delta employee think of the company, their management, new policies, etc.

As far as whether its respectful to anonymously post things overheard in public spaces, Im sure there will be disagreement here.

If Im off-base, Mods please close and delete.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
if this thread is disrespectful, so is the one of taking pics people doing bad things on planes and others.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Are you sure these weren't regional pilots? I can't imagine legacy airline pilots ever switching airlines.
badlander45 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ruckzac
As a customer and a shareholder, I find it interesting to know what Delta employee think of the company, their management, new policies, etc.
I'll save you the effort of spying on private conversations: employees everywhere whine and complain about their company, their management, new policies, etc.

You are welcome.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Are you sure these weren't regional pilots? I can't imagine legacy airline pilots ever switching airlines.
Maybe they were just trying to get a jump seat to go home? That comment could mean a multitude of things.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'll save you the effort of spying on private conversations: employees everywhere whine and complain about their company, their management, new policies, etc.

You are welcome.
Amen! I'm sure the OP had good intentions with this thread, but I'm pretty sure each and everyone of us has complained about work to a co-worker at some point....
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
Well, the thread title is completely wrong. I would at the very least, suggest "Delta Employees Overheard."
I can actually see how overhearing a humorous conversation could be entertaining and worth sharing (isn't there a similar thread that is geared toward overheard conversations on Delta flights?). However, the opening post was not at all.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Webogirl
Well, the thread title is completely wrong. I would at the very least, suggest "Delta Employees Overheard."
Am I allowed to blame it on the Woodford?
Webogirl, strickerj, 757FO and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
I would.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I was sitting in a diner in downtown Atlanta right after the merger was done with and a couple former Northwest now Delta pilots were in the booth behind us complaining that they were PDX based and now have to commute to ATL lol.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, I thought it was kind of a funny exchange, especially the punch line at the end. And I don't see any problem with relating stuff people say loudly enough in a public space for others to hear. It's not as though the OP was holding a glass to the wall of the employee lounge. Just leave out any identifying info.

I deem this topic as legitimately entertaining. If you are offended, now you know not to read it.
strickerj, Seabilly and tvnwz like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.