Delta charged me twice

Old Jun 15, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Angry Delta charged me twice

Short version:
- saw a great offer and tried to book a ticket
- instead of successfully booking - i was redirected to the main page and got various errors
- never received confirmations or anything else that would indicate a succcessful booking
- I was disappointed not to have gotten the tickets, so I decided I will try another day with a different airline
- I got a great deal on a KLM flight (which uses a delta plane on one of the legs of the flight)
- 4 days later I suddenly noticed credit card charges for 1000 Euros
- Delta had charged me for 2 tickets
- I called delta and they said they understood, but will only refund 1 of the tickets
- they insist because the KLM flight is 3 days earlier than the flight I had tried to book on the Delta website, they cannot refund both tickets
- they will take 2 weeks to decide if they will refund me for the other ticket
- Visa said talk to Delta

What do I do?
- I have no desire to pay 500 Euros for what essentially amounts to air
- I have booked dozens of flights and know how to use a website - it was clearly an error on the website
- to this day I still have not received emails, confirmations or anything to the flights that I apparently did buy (yes, I ckecked my spam folder as well)
- It was clearly their error (no emails, website errors), but I feel like I have to ask for leniency and beg for my money back
- i am afraid that should I refuse to pay that I could have problems with my KLM flight that is partly operated by Delta

Do you have any suggestions or advice for me? I am not quite sure how to proceed.

Thank you!
Mathias
Old Jun 15, 18, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Does the flight appear in your Delta account online?

I would not be worried about your KLM ticket, as Delta isn't going to cause any trouble with that booking.
Old Jun 15, 18, 9:56 am
Original Poster

I do not have a Delta account and I would not even be able to see the bookings as I have never received booking numbers, a confirmation or anything like that. I talked to a Dela customer service person and they said they cancelled the flight for me and MAYBE give me a refund. She had trouble finding my flight because I did not even know what date or time of the day I wanted to book the flight and obviously I did not have any information about the flight and no confirmation or booking numbers.

There was clearly something wrong with their website and email system (no it is also not in the spam folder) - i received nothing and the website gave a very clear impression that the booking DID NOT go through.

I jus2t do not se why I should pay for a fault in their system - I mean I know how to book a ticket. I want to avoid paying 500 euros for air.
Old Jun 15, 18, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Who did you buy the KLM flight from?

Also, You need one of the tickets, so am confused why you're needing both refunded.

Or are you saying that DL charged you twice for 1st ticket, and then you bought another from KLM, not thinking it had gone through with DL. If this is the case you most likely clicked purchase twice.The 1st went through, and then another went through since clicked twice. The webpage threw an error though due to this. Very common error and numerous websites warn you not to click twice.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 15, 18 at 10:05 am
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:08 am
Original Poster

No, the error did not occur to me clicking twice. I wanted to book, went through the whole process of booking and before the booking was completed I got an error - I never saw a booking confirmation nor an email confirmation. I was lead to believe the booking did not go through. I tried a few more times, but I kept stumling on errors so I finally gave up.
I felt disappointed that I could not get the Delta tickets, but concluded something must be wrong with their website.

Then the next day I bought the KLM ticket instead - direcltly from KLM

nearly a week later I see that the Delta tickets went through - 2 of them even. To this day I have no confirmation , no booking email, nothing.

So I called DELTA to cancel both flights - that I did not even know the date or number or - and they said they will decide whether I get my money back or not
which puts me in a stupid position.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Then its time to contact credit card company for dispute. Keep it simple.

Went to purchase ticket on delta.com Errored out.
Tried once more, again Errored out.
Finally went and bought ticket from KLM, no problems.
Few days later notice charged twice by Delta for tickets it's website didn't process. BTW what was the actual error message it gave?
Contacted DL, they have refunded one ticket, but are refusing on the other, although neither showed as completed purchase.

Don't go into the three days difference, etc... All that'll do is confuse your bank and make it more complicated than need be.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
My credit card online activity normally shows Delta ticket number 006.... You can use it to look up itinerary in Delta website if you have that number.
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mathias Daniel Fiedler View Post
No, the error did not occur to me clicking twice. I wanted to book, went through the whole process of booking and before the booking was completed I got an error - I never saw a booking confirmation nor an email confirmation. I was lead to believe the booking did not go through. I tried a few more times, but I kept stumbling on errors so I finally gave up.
Looks like, as you have stated, you booked the DL flight more than once.

Can you change the DL or KLM flight to another date, even with a change fee charge?
Old Jun 15, 18, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Then its time to contact credit card company for dispute. Keep it simple.

Went to purchase ticket on delta.com Errored out.
Tried once more, again Errored out.
Finally went and bought ticket from KLM, no problems.
Few days later notice charged twice by Delta for tickets it's website didn't process. BTW what was the actual error message it gave?
Contacted DL, they have refunded one ticket, but are refusing on the other, although neither showed as completed purchase.

Don't go into the three days difference, etc... All that'll do is confuse your bank and make it more complicated than need be.
I would make the dispute even simpler. The product was not delivered. E.g.:
1. Tried to purchase ticket and did not get confirmation.
2. Tried again. No confirmation.
3. To this day, no confirmation or e-ticket number for either charge.

The entire KL thing is a red herring and confuses.
gooselee, CalVol, klanfa and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

I pointed out so that bank doesn't think you're trying to get away with cancelling a non-refundable ticket. Apparently number of people try this route thinking it's a way to end run the airline.
Old Jun 16, 18, 1:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
To the OP, why in the world don't you have a DL FF account set up? If you did, you could have just checked it and alleviated this entire issue.
Old Jun 16, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
Not sure about this, but is there any scenario in which you'd book with KLM and it would be booked as 006 and show as Delta on a credit card statement? Would assume not if it is KLM.com.
Old Jun 16, 18, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

This. The bank needs to understand that DL charged you (multiple times) for a product (eTicket) that they never provided.
​​​​​​
From your perspective and understanding, you are not trying to cancel the DL ticket. You are disputing the charge for a ticket that was never provided to you in the first place.

No need to even mention the KLM ticket.
klanfa likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: