Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think at worst what is being smelled is clothes and the odor that theuve taken on. I fly MU regularly and am asthmatic I've never smelled actual smoke. I've smelled the odor when someone who smokes a lot passes by.
I don't fly them regularly, but I've smelled a pervasive amount of smoke in the cabin as recently as March 2018.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think at worst what is being smelled is clothes and the odor that theuve taken on. I fly MU regularly and am asthmatic I've never smelled actual smoke. I've smelled the odor when someone who smokes a lot passes by.
Yes, that is problem. They didn't take a shower. They did not have a fresh clothes. They should have a clean clothes.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have now booked 3 SEA-HKG-xxx tickets in business class with CX for the next 6 months and am really looking forward to not having the drive up to YVR to fly them. I love the timing of the CX departure too. With JAL adding in SEA-NRT, DL is going to have to step up their game for the local market. SEA as been a magnet for their 767s, ugh! I see they are at least bringing an A350 for SEA-NRT.

But the more desirable late afternoon flight to AMS is a 767, PVG is too, and PEK. Even many of our one stop options put you on a 767 for the long haul segment. I know people will say the 767s arent that bad, or that old but I am done with them. DL seems to be trying to be too many things in too many places, they aren’t even close to the best option in the PacNW as a result, despite their heavy focus on Seattle.

Last edited by stephem; Feb 23, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by stephem
I have now booked 3 SEA-HKG-xxx tickets in business class with CX for the next 6 months and am really looking forward to not having the drive up to YVR to fly them. I love the timing of the CX departure too. With JAL adding in SEA-NRT, DL is going to have to step up their game for the local market. SEA as been a magnet for their 767s, ugh! I see they are at least bringing an A350 for SEA-NRT.

But the more desirable late afternoon flight to AMS is a 767, PVG is too, and PEK. Even many of our one stop options put you on a 767 for the long haul segment. I know people will say the 767s arent that bad, or that old but I am done with them. DL seems to be trying to be too many things in too many places, they aren’t even close to the best option in the PacNW as a result, despite their heavy focus on Seattle.
Would you be willing to talk about the cost of SEA-HKG on CX, the time of departure out of SEA, and how CX biz compares to at least DL flying to ICN?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You like CX. That's nice. They are a great airline with some really nice lounges at HKG. I really liked flying with them in J. It looks like you were willing to drive up to Vancouver just to fly them. So, DL was really never a consideration anyway. Plus, if you're flying beyond HKG, odds are that you're going to a location that no US carrier flies to.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
You like CX. That's nice. They are a great airline with some really nice lounges at HKG. I really liked flying with them in J. It looks like you were willing to drive up to Vancouver just to fly them. So, DL was really never a consideration anyway. Plus, if you're flying beyond HKG, odds are that you're going to a location that no US carrier flies to.
I’m a MM+ on Delta, and my company is one of the Seattle area corporate contracts mentioned above, so no, not really accurate what you are saying. DL has increasingly made SEA a sub-par experience, and increasingly I look elsewhere without much regard for FF loyalty. If DL was “never really a consideration anyway” I do wonder how i have over a million miles flown w them...
SouthernTide likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CX J is way better than the DL 767, about equivalent to the DL A330, and worse than the DL A350. The service is nice, but other than being more precise and consistent, I didn’t think it was notably better than Delta. I’d fly them without hesitation, but I don’t think they’re in a completely different league.

I think that once the A339 arrives, that will become Delta’s go to airplane for Seattle routes. With a solid mix of J suites, W upsells, C+ freebie seats and a bit of Y, they’ll be well poised to capture every price point here with a shiny new plane that’s cozy in all classes. The next year will be a little rough, but in 2020 with the new aircraft and the new international facility, I expect DL’s operation here in Seattle to look a lot more attractive.

(source: comparing DL SEA-HKG with CX HKG-YVR, which I was rebooked onto in an irops situation.)
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Would you be willing to talk about the cost of SEA-HKG on CX, the time of departure out of SEA, and how CX biz compares to at least DL flying to ICN?
Cost is really dependent on destination, assume some are flying beyond HKG. For many routes, the fares are quite similar and in some cases my corp discounted fare on DL is about the same as the CX nondiscounted fare. There are some routes like SEA-DEL where DL is half the price of CX though. The best value can be hard by flying one way to Asia and then using CX RTs from their so you can get ex asia pricing. Ex-Asia has always been CXs sweet spot and SEA is included in that.

Departure time, i am a huge fan of westbound tpacs around midnight, that is when the SEA-HKG flight departs. Seattle is serviced by a new A350 which I have tried out and enjoyed. Food is comparable on both carriers, nothing i would order on the ground basically!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
CX J is way better than the DL 767, about equivalent to the DL A330, and worse than the DL A350. The service is nice, but other than being more precise and consistent, I didn’t think it was notably better than Delta. I’d fly them without hesitation, but I don’t think they’re in a completely different league.

I think that once the A339 arrives, that will become Delta’s go to airplane for Seattle routes. With a solid mix of J suites, W upsells, C+ freebie seats and a bit of Y, they’ll be well poised to capture every price point here with a shiny new plane that’s cozy in all classes. The next year will be a little rough, but in 2020 with the new aircraft and the new international facility, I expect DL’s operation here in Seattle to look a lot more attractive.

(source: comparing DL SEA-HKG with CX HKG-YVR, which I was rebooked onto in an irops situation.)
A fair assesment all around, i dont think either airline excels at service or food. I guess I have been waiting for those new planes here in SEA for a couple years too long for my liking. I’m looking forward to trying the D1 suite on the A350, i booked a circuitous routing to include LAX-PVG to try that. Also looking forward to the new plane on SEA-NRT.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
know people will say the 767s arent that bad
I fly C+ usually, and like the 2-3-2 seating arrangement. I get an aisle seat on either side of the plane, and it feels less crowded than the configurations with 3 seats on each side and 4 or 5 in the middle.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I fly C+ usually, and like the 2-3-2 seating arrangement. I get an aisle seat on either side of the plane, and it feels less crowded than the configurations with 3 seats on each side and 4 or 5 in the middle.
The 767 is great in Y, but not so much up front for both international and domestic configurations. I preferred the A330 to the 767 in J. Those are the only two widebodies I've flown in J on DL.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:17 pm

A fair assesment all around, i dont think either airline excels at service or food. I guess I have been waiting for those new planes here in SEA for a couple years too long for my liking. I’m looking forward to trying the D1 suite on the A350, i booked a circuitous routing to include LAX-PVG to try that. Also looking forward to the new plane on SEA-NRT.
I actually liked the food on CX a lot better, but I've only flown CX twice (SFO - HKG and HKG - DPS on separate dates). Plus, I really did like the HKG lounges better than any DL Sky Club. Since I don't live in a DL hub, I try to non-stops on a non-UA carrier for my long hauls.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I actually liked the food on CX a lot better, but I've only flown CX twice (SFO - HKG and HKG - DPS on separate dates). Plus, I really did like the HKG lounges better than any DL Sky Club. Since I don't live in a DL hub, I try to non-stops on a non-UA carrier for my long hauls.
Totally agree the CX ground experience is where they really stand out - DL doesnt even come close, even in Seattle (and I’m a big fan of the A club). Actually, the only DL partner whose lounges are even in the same league is VS.

CX’s food is totally fine, just not memorable, IMHO. The meal i had would have been solidly in the middle of the pack for meals Delta’s served me - way better than the worst, not as good as the best. I’d characterize it as not an explicit reason to fly them, but also perfectly acceptable and pleasant if you choose to for other reasons.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by BenA

Totally agree the CX ground experience is where they really stand out - DL doesnt even come close, even in Seattle (and I’m a big fan of the A club). Actually, the only DL partner whose lounges are even in the same league is VS.

CX’s food is totally fine, just not memorable, IMHO. The meal i had would have been solidly in the middle of the pack for meals Delta’s served me - way better than the worst, not as good as the best. I’d characterize it as not an explicit reason to fly them, but also perfectly acceptable and pleasant if you choose to for other reasons.
That's seems reasonable. I've don't do that much international, so I really can't say much about the range of food I've had. I wasn't all that impressed with my international Delta One meals that I have eaten. Though I do remember a really tasty chicken dish a couple years ago on SFO - BOS.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm still gobsmacked that Delta no longer flies to Hong Kong.
SouthernTide likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.