Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by nishimark
As a long time Kansai area resident, I fully agree. One problem with ITM is flights to NRT, which leave only first thing in the morning, meaning several hours of layover, or too late in the afternoon to connect with Delta departing flights. (Return to Japan from the US is much better for connection to a flight to ITM.) Schedule to HND is better, but often the better Delta fight leaves from NRT. Direct comparisons between ITM and KIX are like apples and oranges, too many factors involved.
DL’s at a big disadvantage without a Japanese partner. The other two alliances fare much better in this regard. NH in particular is poised to improve when it moves international flights over to its currently domestic-only terminal at HND in 2020!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride

DL’s at a big disadvantage without a Japanese partner. The other two alliances fare much better in this regard. NH in particular is poised to improve when it moves international flights over to its currently domestic-only terminal at HND in 2020!
It’s a shame DL failed in its attempt to form a partnership with Skymark - this would have solved a real problem for SkyTeam in Japan, as you correctly point out. ANA was smart to lock them up via an investment agreement...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
KIX would be a fine airport if it were actually served in a scale commensurate with the size of the Kansai region. KIX has no service to places like LHR (yet), JFK, ORD, DFW, DTW, ATL, IST, DOH, AUH, etc. Service to SYD isn't daily.
What are the daily load factors on those routes and is there demand from it? Most likely not flying to these destinations due to too little demand, as simple as that. Airlines base flights between daily number of pax between XXX and YYY.

Flying out of KIX to connect somewhere anyway (like ICN) is a double-whammy for far too many people. If any connection is involved, almost everyone I know from Kansai would rather deal with ITM in this case than trek out to KIX. That said, a close friend of mine is from the suburban part of Kansai that happens to be closer to KIX, but even he'd rather use ITM due to its easier check-in/boarding procedures and greater frequency.
You've got it in reverse. ITM is a trek, having to take a bus or otherwise metro -> train -> monorail. It's a major hassle to get to or from ITM via transit due to multiple changes and long walks up/down at the connecting stations, and heavy delays if via car or bus. KIX, on the other hand, is a breeze to get to. Plus KIX (unless recovering from some storm) operates much better: arrive at airport and at the gate (int'l) in under 15 minutes every time. ITM always takes longer, though it's smaller.

That being said, for domestic flights KIX doesn't make sense, as there are too little destinations served and even ones that are served have low frequency. So, there is no choice but to go to ITM for most domestic routes.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:16 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by RealHJ
You've got it in reverse. ITM is a trek, having to take a bus or otherwise metro -> train -> monorail. It's a major hassle to get to or from ITM via transit due to multiple changes and long walks up/down at the connecting stations, and heavy delays if via car or bus. KIX, on the other hand, is a breeze to get to. Plus KIX (unless recovering from some storm) operates much better: arrive at airport and at the gate (int'l) in under 15 minutes every time. ITM always takes longer, though it's smaller.

That being said, for domestic flights KIX doesn't make sense, as there are too little destinations served and even ones that are served have low frequency. So, there is no choice but to go to ITM for most domestic routes.
Huh? Getting through ITM is incredibly fast, even more so now that they are almost finished with renovating the terminal over the past 2 years or so. Domestic check-in and security is fast at any airport, but 3/3 of the last times I've flown international out of KIX the lines for security and immigration have been about 10 minutes each. Not a fair comparison to domestic of course, but definitely longer than ITM.

Getting to ITM by train does involve the extra transfer to the monorail although it's not that difficult or slow overall. If you travel by bus it is still faster and closer than KIX to anywhere in central or north Osaka, Kyoto, or Kobe (check the timetables - 25-40 minutes from Namba to ITM, 50-60 to KIX)
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Not surprised - For all the things Delta does well, Delta is HORRIBLE when it comes to notifications about schedule changes. I actually cannot understand why prompt notification isn't required by the DOT (perhaps they're unaware on how bad it is). Thankfully I know to frequently check my itineraries but I find it's less than 1/4 of the time that I'll actually get notified about the schedule change and I find out by logging in and seeing the changes in "My Trips". I had an HND-LAX-SEA ticket booked at the time of the slot-swap when the US airlines were finally given day-time departure slots and out of HND and my departure time got moved from Midnight to 5 PM. Never received an email about it. I at least knew it was coming because of following FT and Aviation news so knew I was likely to be impacted, and then knew to check my itinerary once it went into effect. (It did turn out well though - I used the change to switch HND-LAX-SEA to NRT-DTW-SEA to get my one and only DL 747 ride, upper deck of course! )

I wonder how many people don't know or think to check though, and end-up missing flights or end up scrambling when they find out at online check-in and then have to re-arrange plans because of not being notified well in advance.
Delta just told this 2MM DM to F.O.. They are unable to get me to HK any earlier than 4+ hours after my originally booked arrival time. The first person I talked to said I could call back and do "anything I wanted" because it was Delta's fault for cancelling the route. I knew this wasn't true, but called anyway to try and change the destination to SIN. Yes, I knew it was a longshot. In the end, they just really ended up pissing me off.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Delta just told this 2MM DM to F.O.. They are unable to get me to HK any earlier than 4+ hours after my originally booked arrival time. The first person I talked to said I could call back and do "anything I wanted" because it was Delta's fault for cancelling the route. I knew this wasn't true, but called anyway to try and change the destination to SIN. Yes, I knew it was a longshot. In the end, they just really ended up pissing me off.
Sucks for sure. Not trying to minimize that. However, what did you expect? It's a complete stopping of service to HKG. They can get you there within 4-5 hours, but some how that's awful service by DL. No airline would be any different. They're getting you to destination and within a reasonable time. Can always take a refund and book elsewhere.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I don't have it in reverse. I just checked myFlightRadar24 and I've flown through ITM 37 times, so I speak from real world experience. ITM has a much shorter security line, a smaller terminal and is closer to the Itami Airport monorail station. The quick 2-minute ride from Itami to Toyonaka Station on the Hankyu-Takarzuka Line is no big deal, the connections are timed well, Itami to Umeda can be as short as 22 minutes.

KIX is a PITA and just flat out time consuming for anyone north of Namba.

Let's not forget that ITM and KIX are supposed to serve all of Kansai (Kobe, Kyoto, Nara), all for whom KIX is an even more arduous trek. KIX is so impractical for some in Kyoto that they'd rather go to NGO. From Kyoto Station, you can get to either KIX or NGO in exactly 80 minutes at the quickest via train(s) -- even though NGO is 86km farther.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by FireEmblemPride; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Maybe you got a bad agent. I also had the same issue and was allowed to change my origin to SIN, instead of HKG. When all routes are cancelled, they should be willing to consider another nearby airport. Of course, HKG and SIN aren’t geographically so near to each other, but considering the few airports served by DL in Asia, I guess it wasn’t too crazy of an idea.

Anyway - maybe give them a call back? I’m looking forward to my increased MQMs and time in Singapore!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
This nightmare just doesn't stop!!! I start wonder why I fly with Delta anymore. I've seen more of Korean Air and China Airlines in the last year than I did in all the years before that. Admin booked me on a Jin Air flight to connect. Even though owned by Korean Air, it's in T1. Even going to HK now is crazier and PITA than ever... Just called in to cancel my Delta credit card... one flight away from Diamond and I seriously need to change airline.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wlau
This nightmare just doesn't stop!!! I start wonder why I fly with Delta anymore. I've seen more of Korean Air and China Airlines in the last year than I did in all the years before that. Admin booked me on a Jin Air flight to connect. Even though owned by Korean Air, it's in T1. Even going to HK now is crazier and PITA than ever... Just called in to cancel my Delta credit card... one flight away from Diamond and I seriously need to change airline.
To be fair, Jin Air is a low cost carrier that is not formally affiliated with SkyTeam. The situation is no different than Transavia flights being ineligible for any benefits or earnings on Delta - excluding LCC startups is pretty common these days. Were you booked on a DL codeshare? Or (more likely) a KE-coded flight? If so, we’ll need to start watching out for that when booking...

I don’t necessarily disagree with your fundamental statement that getting to Asia on DL is getting harder, though. You may find that CX/AA is a better fit for your travel patterns, particularly if you frequently need to go to HK or points beyond, or if you usually pay for J. My one experience with them was great - not notably better than CI, but still thoroughly enjoyable start to finish. And their lounges are incredible.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by BenA

To be fair, Jin Air is a low cost carrier that is not formally affiliated with SkyTeam. The situation is no different than Transavia flights being ineligible for any benefits or earnings on Delta - excluding LCC startups is pretty common these days. Were you booked on a DL codeshare? Or (more likely) a KE-coded flight? If so, we’ll need to start watching out for that when booking...

I don’t necessarily disagree with your fundamental statement that getting to Asia on DL is getting harder, though. You may find that CX/AA is a better fit for your travel patterns, particularly if you frequently need to go to HK or points beyond, or if you usually pay for J. My one experience with them was great - not notably better than CI, but still thoroughly enjoyable start to finish. And their lounges are incredible.
No, actually DL sells KE coded flight, whicn include KE coded Jin Air flight... LJ is not a SkyTeam member but KE sell its flight under KE flight number, so it is an earn-able flight. Just like what is said here, Delta adds flight to unneeded places and remove fights from the most popular and important places. The point is if I keep flying foreign airlines even into major cities, then what's the point of saying with DL? Based on other airlines' experience, I bet Beijing will be on the chopping block next. At least with PVG, GM/Ford has presence in Shanghai, so DTW-PVG will be busy for a while...

I haven't been to Osaka 30 40 times but enough times to know KIX is NOT an easy airport. ITM is way easier. I would much prefer fly into HND an then take ANA to ITM. ANA (and JAL and Sky) offers super cheap foreigner fares... It's a win win for most people.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:20 am

That's terrible. SEA-HKG arrives pretty late already. 4+ hr later, isn't that like close to midnight? If you are going to mainland China, you are short of options by then...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wlau
That's terrible. SEA-HKG arrives pretty late already. 4+ hr later, isn't that like close to midnight? If you are going to mainland China, you are short of options by then...
The US ICN HKG option get into HKIA at 1055pm on a good day. It is too late for my liking.
I had a DL arrival post AEx running and DL set me Hom the Island side on Taxi. KE are not known for their generosity in Asia.

The real flying into HKG options is CX status match.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by weetanuki

Maybe you got a bad agent. I also had the same issue and was allowed to change my origin to SIN, instead of HKG. When all routes are cancelled, they should be willing to consider another nearby airport. Of course, HKG and SIN aren’t geographically so near to each other, but considering the few airports served by DL in Asia, I guess it wasn’t too crazy of an idea.

Anyway - maybe give them a call back? I’m looking forward to my increased MQMs and time in Singapore!
I've called 4 times and probably spoken to 7 different people...Diamond desk, International desk, Customer Service and Skypesos Team. All resulting in the same...getting bent over.
They've put a note in my file and each agent I speak with now gets snottier. I always take the survey at the end of the call!
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I've called 4 times and probably spoken to 7 different people...Diamond desk, International desk, Customer Service and Skypesos Team. All resulting in the same...getting bent over.
They've put a note in my file and each agent I speak with now gets snottier. I always take the survey at the end of the call!
That is typical DL. Unless you get lucky on the first call, DL is highly unlikely to bend the rules like that, and once your PNR is notated, it's over. Don't even bother trying again. I mean here you are trying to change destination, so it is significant. I've had issues where in irrops DL refuses to change routing and insist it has to go via ATL "as per fare rules", can't go through anywhere else, even though that adds a more than 48 hours delay.

The only thing you can count on with DL is total and utter inconsistency.
CO-PLAT and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.