Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by daloosh
Since you are flexible, then maybe the exact dates aren't important. And more interestingly, perhaps you can use the 72 hour or 144 hour visa-free transit policy to see some part of China. If you fly thru numerous Chinese cities, and onward to a third country, you can stay 72 or 144 hours in that city or region. Even better, the 72 hours, for example, starts the day following your arrival, so you could actually stay longer than 72 hours. Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau are considered third countries for this policy. As ATOBTTR points out, you can't fly for example, into Shenzhen and then travel overland by bus or car to Hong Kong. You also can't fly into one city such as Shanghai, and take a high speed train to Beijing and fly out of Beijing, even tho both are 144 hour regions. Good luck and have fun!
Yes. I'm already taking advantage of this by spending a few days in Guangzhou at the end of January before my return CAN-YVR-SEA-PDX in J.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
(To try to bring this thread more back on topic...)

Is DL still going ahead with adding another flight to KIX after the recent big earthquake there, esp. given how after one big one in the Nankai through there is a historically high chance of another within a few days to several months to up to two years?
I highly doubt a sub-6 earthquake changes anything.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I am extremely flexible. I don't even want to go to HKG. It was just the place I could get to in Asia with my Delta miles and ride in C+ for the lowest amount of Skypesos.
Since Delta isn't flying to Hong Kong anymore I don't think it would be unreasonable to say, where else can you re-route me to in Southeast Asia on Delta metal. Maybe Manila or Singapore, both of which have endless options to go elsewhere on local airlines.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most likely DL will rebook with either KE/MU OR like when they axed BKK, ANA.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:09 pm

As expected Cathay starts SEA - HKG.

The new service will commence in March 2019 on A350. Looks like also the first scheduled A350 in SEA?

https://news.cathaypacific.com/when-cathay-pacific-meets-seattle

Overall a huge blow to Delta strategy in Seattle given CX partnership with AS and tons of connectivity on both ends. Red eye flight timing in both directions give better connectivity in HKG , but even for nonstop I love red eye flights to Asia if I am in premium cabin and can sleep - best for jet lag IMHO.
wlau, wrp96, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by AntonS; Jul 18, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
that didn't take long!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by AntonS

The new service will commence in March 2019 on A350. Looks like also the first scheduled A350 in SEA?

https://news.cathaypacific.com/when-cathay-pacific-meets-seattle

Overall a huge blow to Delta strategy in Seattle given CX partnership with AS and tons of connectivity on both ends. Red eye flight timing in both directions give better connectivity in HKG , but even for nonstop I love red eye flights to Asia if I am in premium cabin and can sleep - best for jet lag IMHO.
As I stated earlier, Delta made a huge error in making SEA a West Coast Asia hub while they could have done so in LAX. (Richard wanted SEA, Ed wanted LAX, and we're seeing the results of that.) If Delta had really gone "all in" on LAX right after the merger in not just making it the hub it is today but as their West Coast-Pacific hub, it could have potentially come close to what UA is at SFO. (Yes, I am going that far.) I fully anticipated CX immediately dropping in on HKG-SEA as soon as Delta announced its cancellation. Unlike Delta, CX will be able to connect passengers on both ends.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by garykung
There are always demands for the HKG-US market. The question is how an airline can make it work. It is apparent that while CX has gradually expanded in this market, DL does not know what to do. DL's strategy, sorry to say, is extremely embarrassing.
Sounds like I am 2 for 2 again...

(Declaimer - I don't work for CX or DL.)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Wow. With JL also apparently starting SEA-NRT at some point, oneworld now has two of Asia's most important cities covered from SEA.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Longboater
As I stated earlier, Delta made a huge error in making SEA a West Coast Asia hub while they could have done so in LAX. (Richard wanted SEA, Ed wanted LAX, and we're seeing the results of that.) If Delta had really gone "all in" on LAX right after the merger in not just making it the hub it is today but as their West Coast-Pacific hub, it could have potentially come close to what UA is at SFO. (Yes, I am going that far.) I fully anticipated CX immediately dropping in on HKG-SEA as soon as Delta announced its cancellation. Unlike Delta, CX will be able to connect passengers on both ends.
LAX is too competitive. Most Asian carriers go there and AA and UA both have hubs there as well. I really don't think anyone can build much of a footing there. Besides, the terminals are dumps which makes for unpleasant connections. SEA is a growing metro area and has a decent Asian population. Granted, it's not like the Bay Area or LA, but it's sizeable.

You're right in that CX has AS for US connections and a huge network out of HKG. DL only had its network from SEA which isn't close to what AS can offer.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Longboater
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
LAX is too competitive. Most Asian carriers go there and AA and UA both have hubs there as well. I really don't think anyone can build much of a footing there. Besides, the terminals are dumps which makes for unpleasant connections. SEA is a growing metro area and has a decent Asian population. Granted, it's not like the Bay Area or LA, but it's sizeable.

To further expand on what SJC ORD LDR posted, SEA also has a unique geographical position that LAX doesn't - SEA is within the economical range of the 767-300ERs for many of the destinations that are served from SEA (HKG was beyond the 767s range). LAX to Asia is right at the edge of the posted range or beyond the posted range of the 767-300s (of course there are many factors and influences in an aircraft's true range and the figures on an airlines website are just averages) but SEA provides a more economical launch-point for the 767-300s to Asia, hence part of the reason for using Seattle.

And in case someone thinks I'm making that up:
Aviation Week
The rationale is clear from Anderson’s point of view. While Delta has a significant domestic presence at Los Angeles International and long-haul service to Sydney and Tokyo, building material connectivity is impossible due to infrastructure constraints at the airport. San Francisco International is a United hub, so “Seattle is the only option left.” And Anderson believes the airport has been “relatively underserved,” given the size and number of large corporations in the area (Microsoft, Boeing, etc.). “The market is bigger than Minneapolis.” And he must know, having run Northwest’s Minneapolis/St. Paul hub during his pre-merger years.

“The geography is perfect, now the focus needs to be on building a big West Coast gateway to Asia,” Anderson says. “You can fly Boeing 767-300ERs to Asia”, says network chief Cortelyou, “which gives us the ability to open smaller markets.”
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by AntonS

Asiana will be bringing the A350 to SEA at the end of the month, replacing existing 777 service.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
LAX is too competitive. Most Asian carriers go there and AA and UA both have hubs there as well.
While I admit that LAX is competitive, it is not "too competitive" as most believe.

Just for the HKG market alone, AA and HX have introduced HKG-LAX not too long ago. Still, there is no sign that either AA or HX is having problems with the market.

Also - DL has experience in surviving competitive markets, such as JFK.

But I have to admit - LAX's infrastructure is simply too bad to build a good hub.

Also - if you really compare SEA and LAX, Los Angeles's population is 4 times more than Seattle. So even competitive, it does not mean DL can't profit from it.

Personally - I believe the main reason of DL's presence in SEA is to duplicate its experience in ATL - an exclusive West Coast hub.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
To further expand on what SJC ORD LDR posted, SEA also has a unique geographical position that LAX doesn't - SEA is within the economical range of the 767-300ERs for many of the destinations that are served from SEA (HKG was beyond the 767s range). LAX to Asia is right at the edge of the posted range or beyond the posted range of the 767-300s (of course there are many factors and influences in an aircraft's true range and the figures on an airlines website are just averages) but SEA provides a more economical launch-point for the 767-300s to Asia, hence part of the reason for using Seattle.
While it is technically correct, most airlines do not usually 767 or A330 for TPAC routes. In fact, for YVR-Asia routes, which have even shorter distances, AC has only used widebodies like 747, 777, or A340.

Beside - if the demand is there in SEA, airlines will simply up-gauge to handle the demand.

Bottom line - it is a total failure for DL's SEA strategy.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
While it is technically correct, most airlines do not usually 767 or A330 for TPAC routes. In fact, for YVR-Asia routes, which have even shorter distances, AC has only used widebodies like 747, 777, or A340.
There are a lot of factors that go into fleet decisions and route networks and such and these decisions are also made with considerations of the rest of the network. And YVR is the only other major city besides SEA on the North America side of the Pacific for which flights to Asia with 767s would really work, where you could have multiple 767s and send them to multiple destinations in Asia, not just Japan. For AC specifically, the other largest cities in Canada (Montreal and Toronto) are beyond the 767's economical range to Asia, so perhaps AC factored this into its fleet decisions, opting not to base a 767 fleet at YVR for Asian operations. AC has also chosen to send most of its 767s to AC Rogue - another factor, probably. On the Asian side of the Pacific, most of the large Asian cities that could sustain TPAC service to North American cities AC service are out of reach for a 767 from and the US East Coast is completely ruled out with 767s. Japan and maybe ICN would be the exception and even then, only the US West Coast is reachable with a 767.

In other words, you can position multiple 767s in SEA and reach multiple cities in Asia. You cannot position multiple 767s in LAX, SFO, PVG, PEK,, etc. and reach multiple major cities on the opposite side of the ocean, at least economically. You'd be able to reach only a couple and would still need larger aircraft with more range to do the other routes economically. I don't know if ANA or JAL used 767s to the US mainland at any point. SEA being within the 767's range to much of Asia though is part of why DL opted for SEA. They could use SEA as their gateway to Asia with the fleet they had.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
There are a lot of factors that go into fleet decisions and route networks and such and these decisions are also made with considerations of the rest of the network.
Yes. But just for the HKG market, when DL is the only airline using the smallest widebodies, don't you see a problem at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.