Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by williambruno1975

Isn’t it hilarious that no...

Also, there are close to (or maybe more) daily flights USA to FRA too, so using that logic, why fly there instead of asking AF/KL ? LGA-YYZ has more than 20, so why not outsource it to Westjet ? North America to ...
Not commenting on rest of post. However all LGA-YYZ flights are DL codeshare on Westjet.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:53 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
I think the point I was trying to make is that once you close a station completely, it's difficult to reenter the market. We're not just talking about DL dropping a route, they're completely closing the station. That flight must have truly been doing terribly to justify cutting it.
Didn't Delta have a HKG call center and FA base? Are they closed now or will they be as a result of the route drop?

Last edited by TTT; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:09 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL-PM
I'm disappointed that DL will no longer serve HKG (especially going from daily 777 to nothing, when previously they went less than daily or back to the 332)... SEA was a great connecting point for me out of PHX, and much more seamless compared to other options via LAX & SFO. Cities with ICN service will retain a solid 1-stop routing, but DL is basically ceding everything else to AA/UA. Additionally, I would point out to those who say that DL doesn't serve routes for prestige, that they probably do... Not being privy to data, but seeing the fare dumping to PVG & PEK I would be quite surprised if those routes were stellar performers. However, those cannot be simply replaced as the Korean JV doesn't cover China. Lastly, this seems consistent in DL's overall strategy to outsource under performing routes so ultimately this isn't terribly surprising.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WWads
I get that the KE JV will help DL a lot in Asia, but they still need to serve major business markets with nonstops on their own metal. I can't see many business travelers taking XXX-ICN-HKG when they can fly nonstop on CX from most major US markets.
This line of thinking is why airlines consistently lost billions and billions until a few years ago. You might not see many biz travelers taking xxx-icn-hkg...well apparently there are enough taking sea-hkg at a high enough price point to make the route profitable either. As others have point out regard DL's analytics, I am sure DL is aware of the HVCs flying that route and has done the math to figure out if the business those customers bring across the network covers the losses for SEA-HKG. No matter how import those customers think they are, they do enough biz to justify the route.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
so now MNL is Tier 1 but HKG is Tier 2 ??

Also, there are close to (or maybe more) daily flights USA to FRA too, so using that logic, why fly there instead of asking AF/KL ? LGA-YYZ has more than 20, so why not outsource it to Westjet ? North America to India has around 10 nonstop flights , so why announce BOM nonstop instead of letting AF KL 9W do it ? The argument goes both ways you know.

And if u really wanna be trotting out GDP as arguments, as if those are relevant, DL currently has zero nonstops between the largest GDP metro in North America and both the world’s second and third largest economies (by GDP PPP). And btw, most of Kansai region’s GDP are domestic industrial ties, with a relatively thin foreign component.
No, I am saying that HKG is a Tier 1 city that Delta is not focusing on, just like other Tier 1 cities that Delta broadly ignores (at least provides token service to and then offloads the rest to partners). Delta flies limited service to FRA (3 flights in total I believe) because it is a *A hub with Lufthansa so they have no partner service there.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jasondc
Delta is a sharp airline and people who work there are analytically savvy and know how to run a profitable business. They also know that, whatever "world class" status HKG has, it doesnt mean it's going to work for them. Delta doesnt fly routes for prestige, they fly them for profits.
I'm surprised it took eight pages of discussion in this thread for someone to raise the whole, don't question the all-knowing Delta as if they have the some sort of sacred knowledge or possess the ark of the covenant.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:47 am

Let me put it back at you -

let me put it back at you - if you’re in charge of network planning at one of the 3 US legacies, and hypothetically, LHRJFK shows a continuous 36 month loss, would you actually dare bring the business case to senior management to cut LHRJFK (as in closing the station, not just capacity adjustments) ?
Evidently, the answer is yes.

Now it may or may not be that the detailed analysis and/or resulting decision of the board in that particular case was flawed (the new boss clearly thinks so) but that doesn’t mean it was wrong to ‘dare’ to bring the case.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:50 am

Sad news but not unexpected. I took this flight a few times and every time I was able to get a dirt cheap Y or low level mileage award in Y and J within 1-2 weeks of departure.

It was my go-to flight for SE Asia when I could not find a decent fare or good connection through ICN.

I wish they made westbound a red eye and beefed up single ticket connections with HA, CX and GA. I took advantage of several through-fares via HKG (and surprisingly with connection on CX too) but such fares were rare. Looks like AC sells a lot of tickets connecting via non-hubs to non-partners in Asia, for Ixample I had AC flights from YVR conncting to GA, KE and CX in ICN and HKG, so if AC can make it work with so much competition frm YVR, why DL can not?

HKG is a convenient transfer point to SE Asia - it's closer to BKK, SIN, KUL etc and you do not need to take another 6-7 hour flight after landing at ICN or NRT. It also has a lot more flights to smaller cities that are not served from ICN/NRT. HKG is also a great stopover city. I did not mind flying SEA-HKG, spending a day or two in HKG and doing a separate cheap ticket to places like KUL, CNX or DPS.

If CX steps up and starts SEA - HKG, especially with a red eye westbound, it will be hard for me not to switch all my SE Asia flying to CX.

My speculation that SEA-HKG relied too much on connecting traffic to/from SEA. When DL was growing in SEA like crazy it had a surplus of connecting seats. The growth has slowed down and DL can not give up 200 seats a day for cheap HKG connections. I also never understood upgauge to 777 or was it neccessary with 777 in CDG rotation?

​​​​​The aircraft utilization was also horrible with DL sitting in HKG from 7pm to 11am. Doing a red-eye westbound would be much more reasonable but without contracts with CX or HA for connecting pax, it would not be very popular for O/D pax.

And as many mentioned, if DL had 787 the flight could probably stay.

​​​​​
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
There’s also massive fare dumping by both Scoot and AirAsiaX on KIX-HNL, a bespoke beach market for DL ...
Not fare dumping, just reasonable fares for a 6~7 hour flight on an LCC, where all else is extra, of some $160 one-way Y and some $500 one-way J (on Scoot which is like domestic "first" seating; I think $800-$900 in AirAsia X with its angled lie flat). There's a lot of demand on the route and since DL changed HNL-KIX from 2x daily (747 and A330) to 1x daily (and on a tiny 767 to boot) and JL also doesn't even always have 2x daily 777, the LCCs have stepped in to fill the gap.

There are a lot of flights to KIX from the US at very competitive price points. The problem is the price gauging by DL and others on, say, SEA-HNL, so that doing the connection in HNL to KIX (yes, makes the flight longer, 6+6 hours) it'll cost quite a bit more on SEA-HNL vs HNL-KIX.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by wlau
Delta is no longer an international airline sadly...
Delta has never really been an international airline. It acquired one (NW), and then set out to destroy it and erode all the value that it had gotten.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:23 pm

WEll, they are the most profitable of the US3,and have been so for a long time. Are you suggesting they really dont know what they're doing? would you like to try to do better, mr armchair CEO?

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm surprised it took eight pages of discussion in this thread for someone to raise the whole, don't question the all-knowing Delta as if they have the some sort of sacred knowledge or possess the ark of the covenant.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium

let me put it back at you - if you’re in charge of network planning at one of the 3 US legacies, and hypothetically, LHR shows a continuous 36 month loss, would you actually dare bring the business case to senior management to cut LHR (as in closing the station, not just capacity adjustments) ?

I'm not sure LHR is an Apples to Apples comparison.
1. Capacity adjustments on LHR can mean 757, 763, 764, 332, 333, 350, 777
Capacity Adjustments on HKG are 777 vs 332 and 332 had restrictions some parts of the year. I suppose 350 could be in the conversation, but those are of limited quantity.
LHR is a relatively short flight from most of Delta's hubs, this gives network planners much greater flexibility, HKG is a ULH from most hubs, no matter the status of the city globally, an ULH flight is always much more of a financial risk; a risk that Delta no longer found worthwhile or profitable (if it ever was).

2. LHR is served from multiple cities and is the #1 single international destination from the US, DL has no problem cutting LHR from one city (ie: PHL)

3. If a route is loss making for 36 months, but has impacts throughout the network that make the loss worth it sure keep the route, this was clearly not the case for HKG in the Delta network. As cited earlier, most major cities in the US (especially east coast) were better served geographically going to XXX-ICN-HKG vs XXX-SEA-HKG

Sidebar: SIN is an example of a world class city, DL and UA serve but not AA, Should AA start a ULH route to SIN for prestige?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by jasondc
WEll, they are the most profitable of the US3,and have been so for a long time. Are you suggesting they really dont know what they're doing? would you like to try to do better, mr armchair CEO?
it’s impossible to have any constructive discussions on anything then when every time there’s a downgauge , frequency reduction, route cancellation, station closure, benefit reduction, or mileage devaluation, instead of discussing based on the merits of the event, it’s always met with a “they’re smarter than you” response to shut down all dissenting opinions. (And the “consistent” profitabilty is only achieved by artificially backing out fuel hedge losses)

and it’s a strange “perspective”, to put it mildly, to have for anyone who doesn’t financially benefit from the airline. Many of these decisions may be financially sound for the company, but they’re frequently unpopular for consumers. “Metal neutral” is only a concept for the Airlines. It’s no different than flying a codeshare flight from the pax perspective.

if your argument is that Delta must be smarter than us due to profits, I’d love to hear their explanation for picking Nokia phablets running the dead end Windows Phone platform other than just paying lip service to Microsoft and its contract. MSFT completely abandoned the platform, and DL is stuck with going through the entire procurement and training process again on 30,000 iOS devices instead.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Delta has never really been an international airline. It acquired one (NW), and then set out to destroy it and erode all the value that it had gotten.
Want to look at international revenue for 2007? Want to look at pre-merger destinations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Keith2004
I'm not sure LHR is an Apples to Apples comparison.
1. Capacity adjustments on LHR can mean 757, 763, 764, 332, 333, 350, 777
Capacity Adjustments on HKG are 777 vs 332 and 332 had restrictions some parts of the year. I suppose 350 could be in the conversation, but those are of limited quantity.
LHR is a relatively short flight from most of Delta's hubs, this gives network planners much greater flexibility, HKG is a ULH from most hubs, no matter the status of the city globally, an ULH flight is always much more of a financial risk; a risk that Delta no longer found worthwhile or profitable (if it ever was).

2. LHR is served from multiple cities and is the #1 single international destination from the US, DL has no problem cutting LHR from one city (ie: PHL)

3. If a route is loss making for 36 months, but has impacts throughout the network that make the loss worth it sure keep the route, this was clearly not the case for HKG in the Delta network. As cited earlier, most major cities in the US (especially east coast) were better served geographically going to XXX-ICN-HKG vs XXX-SEA-HKG

Sidebar: SIN is an example of a world class city, DL and UA serve but not AA, Should AA start a ULH route to SIN for prestige?
Personally I feel DL’s SIN service is living on borrowed time, and since SEA/LAX-SIN’s business case is hard to make due to ULH distances involved, I really don’t see it staying on that much longer. Outsourcing things like SIN TPE BKK MNL to the KE JV is soundly justified.

LAX-SIN is 8770mi for AA, while SEA-HKG is just 6500mi. All others being equal, it’s laughable to suggest the business case for one is a parallel of the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.