Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In light of the HKG airport closure due to protests (and the fact that continuing unrest could lower demand for travel to HKG), DL's decision to abandon all service to HKG if looking fortunate today.
What you have said imply that DL should shut down MSP hub because of the weather issue.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
What you have said imply that DL should shut down MSP hub because of the weather issue.
A weather issue is there for a day. People still fly when there's weather. People dont fly to places with social unrest. Big difference.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyerCO
A weather issue is there for a day. People still fly when there's weather. People dont fly to places with social unrest. Big difference.
Again, it makes no sense at all. So there is a social unrest. Does that mean CX would need to shut down for business as well?

DL's decision to cease HKG operations has nothing to do with the unrest happening in Hong Kong now. I simply don't see the connection.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
DL's decision to cease HKG operations has nothing to do with the unrest happening in Hong Kong now. I simply don't see the connection.
Maybe because no one claimed there was one? I think MSPe was just saying that it coincidentally turned out to be fortunate, not that there was any causal relationship.
SJC ORD LDR and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Maybe because no one claimed there was one? I think MSPe was just saying that it coincidentally turned out to be fortunate, not that there was any causal relationship.
I don't want to guess what MSPe intended to say in his post. But DL's departure really has nothing to do with the civil unrest. So yeah - I am puzzled why this even had to be mentioned in the first place.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I apologize, but it's extremely insensitive to bump this topic to somehow use the current protests as a justification for DL to cancel flights to HKG.

The people of HK are fighting for their democracy. DL's prior flight planning discussion being tied to that is incredibly inappropriate.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I don't want to guess what MSPe intended to say in his post.
Except you already *are* guessing what she (MSPe is a woman) intended to say by taking umbrage at it. I see that your profile says HKG, so the situation is more personal to you than it might be to others, but IMO it's clouding the way you are reading things.

But DL's departure really has nothing to do with the civil unrest.
And again, I don't think anyone was saying it was.

So yeah - I am puzzled why this even had to be mentioned in the first place.
It didn't *have* to be mentioned, it was just a conversational observation.

It's like if you normally drive one way to work, but for some reason change your mind on a particular day, maybe you have an extra errand to run, but it turns out there was an accident or a traffic jam or something so you would have been greatly delayed if you took your usual route, and you say to someone "it was quite fortunate I had that errand otherwise I would've run into the traffic jam" even though the two don't really have anything to do with each other.

EDIT: and since I'm paranoid now that the above might be misunderstood too, to be perfectly clear I am absolutely *not* saying that a traffic jam and the protests going on in HKG are in any way equivalent.
flyerCO and tearex like this.

Last edited by Zorak; Aug 12, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I apologize, but it's extremely insensitive to bump this topic to somehow use the current protests as a justification for DL to cancel flights to HKG.

The people of HK are fighting for their democracy. DL's prior flight planning discussion being tied to that is incredibly inappropriate.
No one has done so. You're reading a lot into a post that just isn't there.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

No one has done so. You're reading a lot into a post that just isn't there.
Justification, observation, fortuity, whatever you want to call it -- it's not a great look, even if you think it's harmless.

Let's put this another way: back in 2011, UA had no HND slots and lost them to DL, HA and AA. A few months later, the 3/11 earthquake happened and Japan was thrown into chaos. If someone had said "well it's fortunate UA got no HND slots given the natural disaster," people would rightly be offended and upset.

(I recognize it was unintentional but it bears worth mentioning.)
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Justification, observation, fortuity, whatever you want to call it -- it's not a great look, even if you think it's harmless.

Let's put this another way: back in 2011, UA had no HND slots and lost them to DL, HA and AA. A few months later, the 3/11 earthquake happened and Japan was thrown into chaos. If someone had said "well it's fortunate UA got no HND slots given the natural disaster," people would rightly be offended and upset.

(I recognize it was unintentional but it bears worth mentioning.)
No no one would be upset by that comment. The comment isn't making light of the disaster. The comment is just an observation that UA got lucky. Same here, no one is in anyway making light of situation in HKG. However it's a correct observation that DL essentially got lucky.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:34 pm

No no one would be upset by that comment. The comment isn't making light of the disaster. The comment is just an observation that UA got lucky. Same here, no one is in anyway making light of situation in HKG. However it's a correct observation that DL essentially got lucky.
We'll agree to disagree then. I'd never want to be associated with anyone making comments like that, but I guess that's just me.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
<rant>As a former Hong Konger who loves the people and place, the current situation breaks my heart. Part of what is unspoken is how over the past two decades the economic growth in Hong Kong has been anemic compared to nearby cities like Shenzhen and Guangzhou; the SCMP reports that in 2018 Shenzhen grew to be a larger GDP equivalent than the HK SAR.

While the loss of political autonomy (kinda), freedom of religion and free speech is painful---the folks living in HK also saw their cousins in Guangdong province create tremendous wealth. One thing to remember: there was nothing stopping the British from giving HK residents a true democracy before 1997, and there is nothing stopping them from giving "right of abode" to HK residents with British Overseas Passports. While it is easy to portray the PRC as villains in this story, there are far more elements to consider if we're honest. </rant>

Given the economic changes, I'm still surprised Delta left HK but totally realize that it might well have been a good business decision. They don't partner with a local carrier for connecting passengers, the growth outlook is not particular sanguine and local people on either end of their most logical SEA-HKG flight have good reason to prefer CX and its partner AS.

Last edited by worldwidedreamer; Aug 13, 2019 at 12:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I think it's clearly what she said. I see no other interpretation.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
One thing to remember: there was nothing stopping the British from giving HK residents a true democracy before 1997, and there is nothing stopping them from giving "right of abode" to HK residents with British Overseas Passports.
There was but one thing which stopped both from happening: The PRC. Recently declassified British files prove it and many people know this already. If you look at all US/UK/French colonies around the world, just about every single one with substantial population became self governing and democratic around 1970. Except Hong Kong.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
There was but one thing which stopped both from happening: The PRC. Recently declassified British files prove it and many people know this already. If you look at all US/UK/French colonies around the world, just about every single one with substantial population became self governing and democratic around 1970. Except Hong Kong.
I'd love to see a reference to the declassified documents.

That HK did not become self-governing and democratic is precisely why right of abode in the UK should be granted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.