Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL in flight entertainment system which planes have the newer one?

Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

last year I booked dus JAX with klm and due to delays got rebooked on a DL codeshare operated by DL dus -atl with the oldest saddest in flight entertainment system. It felt like half the seats had faulty headphone jacks there were no usb chargers and a very limited offer of movies and music and stuff. The seats themselves were also aged and mine wouldn't recline. Main cabin
Then I had a great modern one for the short leg atl JAX but that is a very short flight.
This year I'll be booking either DUS JAX or ams JAX and it'll probably be a codeshare operated by DL as most of the ones that look right are codeshare and I have a 600€ klm voucher for the delay last year.

My problem is I can't remember what type of plane it was. At this point I can still chose to book either on a 777-200LR or a 330-300 or a 767-300 or a 767-400 or which one gives me the best chance to have a functioning newish entertainment system in main cabin / economy or at the very least usb chargers as neither my phone nor my tablet have the battery power to last without one.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
The 764 at a minimum has the older IFE systems with lower resolution and a smaller screen. I think all of the 738s should be refurbed to the latest IFE version, but at one point, they had the older IFE as well.

Otherwise, the D1 763s (I'm not sure if there still even are the domestic 763s any longer), 752s, 753s, A330s, A350s, A319, A320s (the vast majority of A320s by this point, at least), and A321s all have the updated IFE systems. The 717, MD88, and MD90 only have streaming via wifi and are not planned to be retrofitted with seatback IFE.

Can anyone report on the 73Gs or 777s?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
A330 or 763 is what I'd choose.

Though I found out today for the first time that the A333 only has actual outlets through row 18, after that it's just the USB -- which meant I could only work for about 40% of AMS - DTW, so if that matters, keep that in mind.

Not sure what the 763 equivalent is on that.

Definitely avoid the 764. Believe you'll want to avoid the 777 too but will let others chime in there.

763 and A330 are better anyway IMO because of the 2-X-2 format as the 777 3-3-3
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Due to being rather tiny at 5'3 and flying alone I don't think 3'3'3 would bother me much. It depend on convenience of the flight times more than seat configuration. But I do need some entertainment on a flight of that length as I said my personal tech doesn't have the battery life without at least usb chargers and if I have a flight full of kids I will need sound too
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by linnet
Due to being rather tiny at 5'3 and flying alone I don't think 3'3'3 would bother me much. It depend on convenience of the flight times more than seat configuration. But I do need some entertainment on a flight of that length as I said my personal tech doesn't have the battery life without at least usb chargers and if I have a flight full of kids I will need sound too
777 (for now) and the 764 have the old IFE system. If your #1 concern is IFE, take the 763 or A330 which is probably the most comfortable out of the 4 anyway in Y.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cory6188
I think all of the 738s should be refurbed to the latest IFE version, but at one point, they had the older IFE as well.

Otherwise, the D1 763s (I'm not sure if there still even are the domestic 763s any longer), 752s, 753s, A330s, A350s, A319, A320s (the vast majority of A320s by this point, at least), and A321s all have the updated IFE systems. The 717, MD88, and MD90 only have streaming via wifi and are not planned to be retrofitted with seatback IFE.
I don't think that's quite right. You name the types that have AVOD at every seat but IIRC not all have the 'new' system. 738s that were delivered with AVOD have the old system; so do the ex-Song 752s. There are still two domestic 763s - I believe those have an old system. I don't know the breakdown of old v. new on the 56 Intl Business (lie flat) 763s.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the info so far.
Looks like the 330 is the best bet so far.
Does anyone have info on the 767?
763 doesn't seem to be an option on my route.
I know it sounds kinda crazy to decide on the plane type via IFE System but a) from experience the seats are as old as the old IFE and as I said mine had a broken recline function so I assume newer updates with new IFE which is built into the seats should also mean more recent updates/ repairs on the seats.
Plus I have the luxury of being height challenged at 5'3 and I fit into airplane seats rather easily ( from delta over Martin air,klm and wizzair and Ryanair) but I get easily overwhelmed by the noise in the cabin in day flights and need a working sound on the entertainment system to block out the noise and the stupid people and the kids in temper tantrums. - ok I might have also been on my last nerve on that trip starting with 20+ hrs delay a fight with support and service personnel on the ground to get a hotel and to the hotel and a new flight. Klm Hotline closes around 6pm on Saturdays... And the guy on the ground who was supposed to organize rooms hid behind the scenes for over an hour until he found us hotels as a convention was going on. Plus we ended up getting chewed up by the lady doing the US precheck for not printing out our full itinerary that we got via mail from customers service while stuck due to a delay. It was a mess

I also ended up on a very old plane on the way home but overnight flights are much less noisy and active so I slept.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the 763 isn't an option, the A330 is your winner.

The 764 is horrible, I've had the pleasure of being stuck on that for a couple TATLs and a JFK - SFO run this year and the only positive was I had the row to myself in all 3 cases.

The IFE is horrible, no power past C+, USBs are sporadically under some seats in the rest of coach but many don't work
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by linnet
Does anyone have info on the 767?
763 doesn't seem to be an option on my route.
the 763 is the 767-300 (and 764 the 767-400), if that helps you decipher your options...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you again. So the a330 or the 767-300 should be my options.
That narrows it down at least.
Probably going for the 330 in hopes that chances are they won't replace that with one of the horrible ones.
I really don't remember what plane I was on But it had a 2x3x2 configuration. As I said I flew late and in August /September.
Now I just have to find a good price for late August to fly out... Stupid school holidays making prices higher
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Just to clarify:

All ships have the same "system" and interface by now. The difference is primarily in screen size, resolution and functionality. The 764ER and the unmodded 777s have the original touchscreens, which are pretty small. They also may have a smaller server and thus a reduced selection of items to watch. The newest screens (the A330 fleet, most narrowbodies) allow you to pinch and zoom the maps like on an ipad.

The other x-factor is ships with live TV, which are on 757s, 737s, 319, 320, 321.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

fine, I'm actually talking hardware not software you are right.
I'd even be okay with the small screen and low resolution if the headphone jacks weren't damaged and they were reliable.
In my experience the only thing you can rely on with those is that they are going to crap out in some ways on the flight. In three of my four last long distance delta flights the seats either came with broken hardware (screen or headphone jacks or both) or they crashed for a couple of rows and no attempt at restarting them worked or all three of the above during the lengthy ams or dus - atl distance.
Looks like one of the 330 from ams will be it.
This helps immensely to narrow down the choices as a lot of the planes on that route are 767-400 or 777-200LR
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
with the older touchscreens, it's not just that they are smaller, they are also much less responsive, and much more frequently seem to have dead zones, or calibration problems that make using them really painful.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’m surprised DL didn’t install the new screens on the modded 738s and some of the 757s that kept the old screens. Aren’t the new IFE screens lighter than the old ones which could result in fuel savings overtime?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The choice here is simple. All flights from AMS will have IFE. Period.

The A330, 763, and A350 will have the newest, high-res screens with a USB outlet built into the IFE and the entire Delta Studio available.

The 777 and 764 have the old screens that don't have USB built-in (but do have USB available but it doesn't always work) and the IFE has less content. The exception is the refurbed 777 but it doesn't have any plans right now to be on AMS routes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.