Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl Connect at BOS Absurdity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Intl Connect at BOS Absurdity

Not really well-designed. DL domestic arrives at A but international codeshares leaves from E. Logan has no airside link. Your choices are 10 minute walk or hang for 10 minutes for a shuttle. Then maybe 20 minutes to clear regular TSA with shoes off.

DL codeshares drop TSA Pre✓.

Any of this avoidable?.

Is connecting on all DL metal different?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Delta metal international departures are from Terminal A. I believe ALL international arrivals except for those that are pre-cleared at the origin arrive at Terminal E.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: DL GM
I don't think it's avoidable (and it's the same case when connecting at SFO).

BOS isn't set up well to be a connecting hub between airlines. None of the four terminals are connected airside. I think a loooong time ago UA ran an airside shuttle between A and C during the UA/CO merger, but aside from that there's no airside connections that I know of. There is a "skywalk" that connects A and E outside of security that cuts through the parking garage and may be shorter than the many Massport operated shuttles between the terminals, but you're right that you'll have to reclear, and if the international partner doesn't participate in PreCheck then you'll have to take off your shoes and remove your liquids.

There are a bunch of international airlines that do participate in PreCheck. If yours does, it may be possible to get your boarding pass reprinted on the operating carrier's stock and PreCheck may show up (I've never tried it, but I bet its worth trying).
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

DL operates all departures out of Terminal A, so connecting on DL metal is better. International arrivals still go to E, so you'll have to clear customs and reclear security - but that's true on any International arrival, the only additional inconvenience is transit between terminals.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
Delta metal international departures are from Terminal A. I believe ALL international arrivals except for those that are pre-cleared at the origin arrive at Terminal E.
This.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL connections, whether domestic or internaional, will arrive at and depart from A.

Other carriers likely from other terminals. Not sure that limited D-I connections across carriers at BOS would justify $ Billions for a construction project. More importantly, BOS O&D travelers might well raise a bit of a stink about another 10-15 years of their home airport as a construction site.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Often1
DL connections, whether domestic or internaional, will arrive at and depart from A.

Other carriers likely from other terminals. Not sure that limited D-I connections across carriers at BOS would justify $ Billions for a construction project. More importantly, BOS O&D travelers might well raise a bit of a stink about another 10-15 years of their home airport as a construction site.
Not exactly right...

DL international arrivals at at Terminal E. No other BOS terminal has customs so even a DL international to DL domestic connection requires a terminal change at BOS.

For international departures DL tows the aircraft from E to A.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Often1
More importantly, BOS O&D travelers might well raise a bit of a stink about another 10-15 years of their home airport as a construction site.
I think by now we're used to it as a way of life... Also, it's not like its going to stop any time soon:
The latest improvements are estimated by Massport to be completed in 2022.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...GKL/story.html
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I don't believe an 80-minute connection should be legal ex BOS on an intl codeshare.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yaychemistry
There are a bunch of international airlines that do participate in PreCheck. If yours does, it may be possible to get your boarding pass reprinted on the operating carrier's stock and PreCheck may show up (I've never tried it, but I bet its worth trying).
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines
Not exactly.

BOS Terminal E does not have PreCheck at all. So even if one is flying a carrier that participates in PreCheck (AF, KL, KE, CX, BA, etc), it's not possible to use a PreCheck checkpoint at Terminal E. It should be possible to clear security at Terminal C (as the BP should say PreCheck on it) and then walk airside to Terminal E. It's a long walk and probably not worth doing, though.

That said, if you're eligible for PreCheck and your airline participates, then your paper BP should get stamped with "Expedited Screening" at BOS Terminal E. Still use the regular security lane, but you don't need to remove shoes or use the body scanner.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I don't believe an 80-minute connection should be legal ex BOS on an intl codeshare.
There's a moving pedestrian bridge that takes you from A to E in about 5 minutes. Granted, you'd still have to clear security again at E. Did you use that? It's probably faster than the bus.
yaychemistry and LegalTender like this.

Last edited by swingaling; Jun 13, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by swingaling
BOS Terminal E does not have PreCheck at all. So even if one is flying a carrier that participates in PreCheck (AF, KL, KE, CX, BA, etc), it's not possible to use a PreCheck checkpoint at Terminal E. It should be possible to clear security at Terminal C (as the BP should say PreCheck on it) and then walk airside to Terminal E. It's a long walk and probably not worth doing, though.
Go through Terminal C security. Stop by the BA lounge on the way to your gate in Terminal E. The walk isn't that bad.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wds17
Go through Terminal C security. Stop by the BA lounge on the way to your gate in Terminal E. The walk isn't that bad.
But no airline out of E will issue a PreCheck BP. Your wait would be substantially similar - maybe worse - at Terminal C.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The other disadvantage of doing international connections through BOS is that the resulting TATL international segments are too short for a good night's sleep.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

Virgin is part of tsa pre and flies out of e as does porter air but Boston is not the best place for international connections however that makes it cheaper on miles and often in dollars. Not sure what airline you are switching onto or what time you are flying so hard to say on the 80 minutes
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Curious. What was your itinerary?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Would it be possible for DL to get CBP to build a facility in Terminal A? The terminal was new enough and DL had bigger plans for BOS when they designed it, so I'm kind of surprised that there were no provisions for CBP.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.