FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   "Please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..." (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1914128-please-plan-arrive-least-2-hours-before-departure.html)

k5xs Jun 13, 2018 10:47 am

"Please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..."

I received from DAL today a "Stay on top of TSA changes" email this morning offering tips on how to stay on top of "the busy summer travel season."

Among those tips was "For your upcoming domestic flight please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..."

For domestic trips I generally arrive one hour prior to push, and the two-hour suggestion strikes me as over the top. I suppose at some chronically slow airports, but I can't imagine in most cases getting there two hours early.

Am I being naive?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b419302ad.jpg

TheHorta Jun 13, 2018 10:48 am

Did you get the dreaded “SSSS” boarding pass code?

vincentharris Jun 13, 2018 10:49 am

Originally Posted by k5xs (Post 29862446)
I received from DAL today a "Stay on top of TSA changes" email this morning offering tips on how to stay on top of "the busy summer travel season."

Among those tips was "For your upcoming domestic flight please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..."

For domestic trips I generally arrive one hour prior to push, and the two-hour suggestion strikes me as over the top. I suppose at some chronically slow airports, but I can't imagine in most cases getting there two hours early.

Am I being naive?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b419302ad.jpg

I got it too, I think somebody in marketing should have made an exemption for FO, GM, PM, and DM to NOT get this email. I think most of us know airport wait times better than the TSA itself.

This should have gone to people with no status, this email seems like one that was meant to inform people who fly once a year.

The Situation Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am

I have received two of these emails in the last couple days. The food thing is going to trip up the people that fly once or twice a year, so if you are going to be in the regular TSA line, 2 hours is a good idea. Couple that with summer road construction in my area shutting down major interstates and traffic jams getting to the terminal b/c cars are allowed to pull up to the terminal and wait for people arriving, I don't think these emails are unwarranted. I will give myself a bit of extra time at my home airport.

miraclebear2003 Jun 13, 2018 11:08 am

My returning international flight yesterday was a suggested three hours from HKG. We were late leaving the hotel and had about two hours when we got to the airport. No problem. With Sky Priority no wait to check in. Wasn't too bad going through customs and security. We could have stopped at the lounge, but since they started check in about 55 minutes before departure, we decided to wait on line and settle into our business seats.

TheHorta Jun 13, 2018 11:13 am

I wonder if TSA specifically requested airlines to send the announcements out. Maybe they’re seeing an uptick in missed flights, or maybe they’re planning to introduce new screening measures that might cause added delays and are heading that off with advance notices.

DCAproducer Jun 13, 2018 11:16 am

I got this email as well, but I don't think this applies to people using PreCheck. Taking out small electronic devices, such as phones, has been going on since January for the normal lines, but in PreCheck it's the same old routine. (At least it was as late as last Friday when I flew)

I think this is also Delta preemptively telling tourists to expect long security lines.

MSPeconomist Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am

What's with the powders? Is this new?

bretthexum Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29862588)

I noticed that too, but never had an issue with PreCheck. I usually bring protein powder for shakes while I travel.

BenA Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm

I received this too but had assumed it was unique to SEA, where security likes have become comically long in the last few months even for PreCheck. With Clear, it’s never an issue, of course. But there have been days where the line snakes all the way out to the curb by the check in desks and then back to the concourse because there are so many people waiting.... and when that happens even PreCheck appears to be a 20-30 minute wait.

I think the “removing all food” rule that’s new may be part of the motivation for sending this message, as well as reaching novice summer travelers. I agree that elites should have gotten a different version...

Howste Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...deral-airports

It looks like the TSA has some recommendations for powders, but no new restrictions.

Zeeb Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 29862678)
I noticed that too, but never had an issue with PreCheck. I usually bring protein powder for shakes while I travel.

I've never noticed that before either. That's definitely new. I do the same and have brought liter sized bags of protein powder on before with no issue. It would suck if it now is subject to the 3 oz rule. I suppose I could break it up in to daily servings instead of a weeks worth in one container but that's pointless effort. Plus if I'm carrying a week's worth that would take up the majority of my 1 liter bag.

jimquan Jun 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Taking food out applies even if you are precheck. Nowadays I give 'em a good look at the apple (or any food) in my carry on and pull it out ahead of time. Don't think it applies to you? You may be delayed for a secondary.

That said, I have no intention of arriving two hours ahead as a rule.

Jim (precheck, GE, Clear, Skypriority )

yaychemistry Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29862588)

A handful of times, my wife has bought bath salts while on a trip. The TSA screeners always flag the bag and pull it aside for extra screening. Usually just a quick visual confirmation of the package is good enough. I wonder if dense powders block the x-rays so they just want to get a visual confirmation.

Howste Jun 13, 2018 12:16 pm

From the above-referenced link:

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate other items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine.

yaychemistry Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan (Post 29862790)
Taking food out applies even if you are precheck. Nowadays I give 'em a good look at the apple (or any food) in my carry on and pull it out ahead of time. Don't think it applies to you? You may be delayed for a secondary.

That will be tough at BOS. As far back as I can remember, they don't even have bins at the PreCheck lines in Terminal A. It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt. Maybe they will have to bring the bins back - I've got a trip this weekend so I'll report back.

RooseveltL Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by yaychemistry (Post 29862836)
That will be tough at BOS. As far back as I can remember, they don't even have bins at the PreCheck lines in Terminal A. It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt. Maybe they will have to bring the bins back - I've got a trip this weekend so I'll report back.

All Pre-Check lines should have bins but not accessible to prevent folks slowing down the line. I frequently require (request) a bin when traveling with two laptops in the same bag. Typically, requires my yelling three times I have TWO laptops because they typically think I am pulling out a single laptop which should remain in the bag.

Kacee Jun 13, 2018 4:01 pm

I got one of these from UA yesterday, and DL today. From the frequent traveler's perspective, it's just nonsense.

DCAproducer Jun 13, 2018 4:17 pm

I often have an apple in my backpack. In four trips through PreCheck in the past week not once was my bag stopped or searched in secondary. I’ve never had an issue with this. I’ve also traveled with protein bars for years and never had them removed.

Long Train Runnin Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I got this today and just assumed this was a thinly veiled marketing email to sell me a CLEAR subscription.

TJMAC Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm

I got this today for my flight out of LAS tonight. I found it strange, but at least I’m not the only one.

SJC ORD LDR Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

I got pulled aside for having an unopened bag of dry cat food in my bag. I was annoyed. Has the TSA gotten worse at being incompetent at its own job?

pbarnette Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pm

As an FYI... most email applications have a 'delete button', often symbolized by a trash can. When you find an email you consider irrelevant, you can press it and the message goes away.

DCP2016 Jun 13, 2018 6:58 pm

No, it doesn't apply to me as pre-check. This applies to the regular line to get more people to purchase pre-check. Since these rules came into effect I've never had to remove food nor has my bag gone to secondary. Don't know what you're talking about or where you made that up from.

btonkid12345 Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 29864179)
No, it doesn't apply to me as pre-check. This applies to the regular line to get more people to purchase pre-check. Since these rules came into effect I've never had to remove food nor has my bag gone to secondary. Don't know what you're talking about or where you made that up from.

Exactly this. Pre-check is excluded from the new screening rules. Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean its the standard.

Had plenty of different foods in my bag recently and not pulled once on a Pre-check line (it was pulled when Pre-check was closed for a red eye, once, and cleared within a few seconds)

jimquan Jun 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 29864179)

I guess the food thing only applies to me because I've gone to secondary for as little as an apple. :rolleyes:

​​​​​​​Jim

Orange County Commuter Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 29862746)
I received this too but had assumed it was unique to SEA, where security likes have become comically long in the last few months even for PreCheck. With Clear, it’s never an issue, of course. But there have been days where the line snakes all the way out to the curb by the check in desks and then back to the concourse because there are so many people waiting.... and when that happens even PreCheck appears to be a 20-30 minute wait.

I think the “removing all food” rule that’s new may be part of the motivation for sending this message, as well as reaching novice summer travelers. I agree that elites should have gotten a different version...

I agree. The elite version should say "please understand that just because you have a DM cowbell the rules still appply to you. No, you can't arrive 29 minutes before departure and just jump to the front of the security line. Yes, you will need to suspend your important call to walk through the Scanner. Yes you will need to empty your pockets of the $10 in change and giant key chain"

seriously, "elite" seems to equal "clueless" far too often to assume we don't need this message

flyerCO Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan (Post 29864314)
I guess the food thing only applies to me because I've gone to secondary for as little as an apple. :rolleyes:

Jim

Are you sure you didn't get routes to a normal line? I've had them tell me I'm PreCheck and not tell me the xray lane I'm in isnt.

gDolan Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm

More cynically, I've seen a few decks discussing the correlation between time spent at airport and airport concessions sales. Delta doesn't get much of a cut of that, though

gooselee Jun 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by yaychemistry (Post 29862836)
It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt.

Originally Posted by jimquan (Post 29864314)

Jim

What is it with DL and apples lately? :D

I got this email as well and basically :rolleyes: and deleted it. Interestingly, it said to arrive X hrs early (can't remember if it said 2 or 3) for my international flight. I do have an upcoming Intl flight, but at the time of the email I had two domestic PNRs happening before that. I guess they figure I know what I'm doing for domestic?

AntonS Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

I think it should not apply to sky priority / pre-check. Even in SEA where security lines got out of control in the last few months, it was never more than 30 minutes in priority or TSA pre-check lines.

I consider myself lucky, but I rarely arrive more than 1 hour before international and 45-50 minutes before domestic flight. I never missed a flight. I know that statistically I will miss a flight sometime in the future, but because it will be one out of 10s or 100s of flights, the extra delay and expense of one missed flight still well worth hours saved on other flights.

If I have time for the lounge, I take a note that I arrived too early.

dblumenhoff Jun 13, 2018 11:16 pm

To me it's a CYA thing. If someone arrives 1:15 before their flight and is checking bags and it happens to be a crazy day, and they get flagged for secondary, and they have an infant in arms, and they need to go to the bathroom they might miss their flight. Delta can always say "we told you to arrive 2 hours before."

aquamarinesteph Jun 14, 2018 12:19 am

I received one of these emails 3 weeks ahead of an international flight. (And despite the fact that the first leg of my flight is domestic, I'm still supposed to arrive 3 hours early? Really?)

I was interested b/c it doesn't say if this applies to both PreCheck and regular TSA security lines. I also wondered about the graphic which makes it look like powders now go into the 3-1-1 bag.

Proudelitist Jun 14, 2018 9:54 am

Time is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

And there are more factors at play than at the airport. I nearly missed a flight once because of a 200 car train in Phoenix that blocked the road to the airport for 25 minutes as it rolled by at 5mph. Traffic, construction, trains, accidents that shut down lanes on the freeway, detours, late buses...never assume the journey to the airport will be smooth. Bank extra time, you may need to use it.

Xeno Jun 14, 2018 10:42 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph (Post 29864829)
I received one of these emails 3 weeks ahead of an international flight. (And despite the fact that the first leg of my flight is domestic, I'm still supposed to arrive 3 hours early? Really?)

I was interested b/c it doesn't say if this applies to both PreCheck and regular TSA security lines. I also wondered about the graphic which makes it look like powders now go into the 3-1-1 bag.

Same email - both 3 hours for international and 2 hours for domestic - and same reaction as I too start with a domestic positioning flight.

3Cforme Jun 14, 2018 10:55 am

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff (Post 29864729)
To me it's a CYA thing. If someone arrives 1:15 before their flight and is checking bags and it happens to be a crazy day, and they get flagged for secondary, and they have an infant in arms, and they need to go to the bathroom they might miss their flight.

Maybe. There's some utility for people who aren't familiar with the airport they're using, and who may be shocked by summer line lengths.

FlyerTalk has seen all sorts of problems with people getting to the airport in time to complete formalities, who then have the joy of going standby on the next (probably very full) flight:

- the taxi dropped me off at the wrong door

- the check in line was l o n g

- they wouldn't let me check a bag 28 minutes before scheduled departure

- they wouldn't let me board when I got to the gate 'about' 15 minutes before my flight

I know a guy - who would go on to become a senior Washington official - who bragged about always being last to board. 'If you're not last you have wasted time at the airport.' That's not the way I want to play it.

ND76 Jun 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I got this e-mail too.

CLEAR is your friend.

I generally fly in the 6am push at DCA; pretty hard to get to the airport more than 45 minutes in advance when the first Metro train leaves only at 0500 from Huntington station. CLEAR makes it possible to comfortably make these early morning flights.

sdix Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm

I got a notification for a trip this Monday regarding BNA. Said it was BNA's busiest travel day of the year as CMA Fest and Bonaroo were ending and to get there 2 hours before. Wouldn't even suggest that to the wife so got there 1 hour and absolutely ZERO people. I mean no one in the line at 2pm. Maybe I missed the rush :)

beachmouse Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR (Post 29863816)
I got pulled aside for having an unopened bag of dry cat food in my bag. I was annoyed. Has the TSA gotten worse at being incompetent at its own job?

I've gotten sent to secondary over ten plastic jars of cat treats in my backpack before (The Squeaker loves, loves, loves the ones you get at Trader Joe's more than just about anything else on earth, and I stock up when I'm close to a TJ's). There's the fable about Mohammed and the sleeping cat on the sleeve of his robe, so maybe that's it?

I have literally never waited at the TSA checkpoint at VPS for more than five minutes- holiday season, departing the same time as a couple of Allegiant flights are headed out, whatever. It's a well-run small outstation where more than half the folks seem to have Pre. If there's a log jam, it's at the individual airline counter because there isn't typically a designated bag drop station and you always seem to get stuck behind someone who just had a trip to Brussels or Lima go IRROPS in a big way. I generally try for 1:15 before departure only if I'm checking a bag and an hour is just fine if I'm not.

danielonn Jun 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I always plan to arrive 2.5-3 hours before a Domestic flight and 4 hours before an international flight just in case something goes awry.

I have Pre Check and that helps and also I plan early morning flights whenever possible.

With extra time I just veg out!