Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..."

"Please plan to arrive at least 2 hours before departure..."

Old Jun 13, 18, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jimquan View Post
Taking food out applies even if you are precheck. Nowadays I give 'em a good look at the apple (or any food) in my carry on and pull it out ahead of time. Don't think it applies to you? You may be delayed for a secondary.

That said, I have no intention of arriving two hours ahead as a rule.

Jim (precheck, GE, Clear, Skypriority )
That will be tough at BOS. As far back as I can remember, they don't even have bins at the PreCheck lines in Terminal A. It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt. Maybe they will have to bring the bins back - I've got a trip this weekend so I'll report back.
Old Jun 13, 18, 3:57 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by yaychemistry View Post
That will be tough at BOS. As far back as I can remember, they don't even have bins at the PreCheck lines in Terminal A. It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt. Maybe they will have to bring the bins back - I've got a trip this weekend so I'll report back.
All Pre-Check lines should have bins but not accessible to prevent folks slowing down the line. I frequently require (request) a bin when traveling with two laptops in the same bag. Typically, requires my yelling three times I have TWO laptops because they typically think I am pulling out a single laptop which should remain in the bag.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got one of these from UA yesterday, and DL today. From the frequent traveler's perspective, it's just nonsense.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Taking food out applies even if you are precheck. Nowadays I give 'em a good look at the apple (or any food) in my carry on and pull it out ahead of time. Don't think it applies to you? You may be delayed for a secondary.

I often have an apple in my backpack. In four trips through PreCheck in the past week not once was my bag stopped or searched in secondary. Iíve never had an issue with this. Iíve also traveled with protein bars for years and never had them removed.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got this today and just assumed this was a thinly veiled marketing email to sell me a CLEAR subscription.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:47 pm

I got this today for my flight out of LAS tonight. I found it strange, but at least I’m not the only one.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I got pulled aside for having an unopened bag of dry cat food in my bag. I was annoyed. Has the TSA gotten worse at being incompetent at its own job?
Spiff and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
As an FYI... most email applications have a 'delete button', often symbolized by a trash can. When you find an email you consider irrelevant, you can press it and the message goes away.
smc333 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles

No, it doesn't apply to me as pre-check. This applies to the regular line to get more people to purchase pre-check. Since these rules came into effect I've never had to remove food nor has my bag gone to secondary. Don't know what you're talking about or where you made that up from.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
No, it doesn't apply to me as pre-check. This applies to the regular line to get more people to purchase pre-check. Since these rules came into effect I've never had to remove food nor has my bag gone to secondary. Don't know what you're talking about or where you made that up from.
Exactly this. Pre-check is excluded from the new screening rules. Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean its the standard.

Had plenty of different foods in my bag recently and not pulled once on a Pre-check line (it was pulled when Pre-check was closed for a red eye, once, and cleared within a few seconds)
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM/GM , HH <>, AX-Plat
Originally Posted by DCP2016 View Post
I guess the food thing only applies to me because I've gone to secondary for as little as an apple.

​​​​​​​Jim
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by BenA View Post
I received this too but had assumed it was unique to SEA, where security likes have become comically long in the last few months even for PreCheck. With Clear, itís never an issue, of course. But there have been days where the line snakes all the way out to the curb by the check in desks and then back to the concourse because there are so many people waiting.... and when that happens even PreCheck appears to be a 20-30 minute wait.

I think the ďremoving all foodĒ rule thatís new may be part of the motivation for sending this message, as well as reaching novice summer travelers. I agree that elites should have gotten a different version...

I agree. The elite version should say "please understand that just because you have a DM cowbell the rules still appply to you. No, you can't arrive 29 minutes before departure and just jump to the front of the security line. Yes, you will need to suspend your important call to walk through the Scanner. Yes you will need to empty your pockets of the $10 in change and giant key chain"

seriously, "elite" seems to equal "clueless" far too often to assume we don't need this message
nwflyboy and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
I guess the food thing only applies to me because I've gone to secondary for as little as an apple.

Jim
Are you sure you didn't get routes to a normal line? I've had them tell me I'm PreCheck and not tell me the xray lane I'm in isnt.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG P100, DL DM, B6 Mosaic
More cynically, I've seen a few decks discussing the correlation between time spent at airport and airport concessions sales. Delta doesn't get much of a cut of that, though
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yaychemistry View Post
It'll be interesting to see a bunch of apples rolling around on the x-ray belt.

Jim
What is it with DL and apples lately?

I got this email as well and basically and deleted it. Interestingly, it said to arrive X hrs early (can't remember if it said 2 or 3) for my international flight. I do have an upcoming Intl flight, but at the time of the email I had two domestic PNRs happening before that. I guess they figure I know what I'm doing for domestic?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: