Booking KLM on DL Site Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:28 am
CDF
Original Poster

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Booking KLM on DL Site Question

Good day to everyone!

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find something specific to what I'm looking to.

My first question, are there any issue with booking a KLM flight only (DL codeshare) on the DL website? The reason I ask is that I'm looking to price out an itinerary that involves purchasing a flight from AMS to CPH and when I put in those city pairs the website gives me an error saying nothing can be found. BUT, when I put in a city originating in the U.S. connecting to AMS to CPH, I see the AMS/CPH KLM codeshares. I'm just looking to price out the AMS/CPH leg. I can do that on the KLM site but not DL.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

10/04 - 10/08 DTW/AMS using miles. I can get a price of 128,000 RT in premium select..
10/05 - 10/08 AMS/CPH paid. This is the segment I'm trying to pay for since I don't want to use miles. This works out to around $160 US on the KLM site.

I could do these as separate reservations - one on DL and one on KLM - but I'd rather have it all on one itinerary if possible and make sure that I get the MQD/MQM for the AMS/CPH trip. Has anyone done anything like this before? Should I just call the DL reservations and see what they say?

Any feedback is appreciates. Thanks and safe travels!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Can't be done. For itineraries operated 100% by another carrier, you'll have to go through that carrier. That itinerary will have to be purchased through KLM.

I may be wrong about the above, but definitely check on what's below.

Edit: I see low-level award availability both with DL on DTW-AMS and KL AMS-CPH with those dates. There's currently an issue on Delta's end making it look like there are no Main Cabin award flights available for mixed DL and KL/AF itineraries. You may want to call Delta and have them double check the availability for DTW-AMS-CPH and the return. Check my recent posts for more information on what specifically to tell them to help them find the availability. I strongly suspect that AMS-CPH would basically add on to that 128,000 price without any extra mileage requirement. That would help you remain on one ticket and avoid any potential misconnects in AMS... and you'd save ~$160.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by eastindywalrus; Jun 13, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:57 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
You can't buy a ticket on DL.com for an intra-Europe trip operated by KLM -- you can buy on DL.com for a US-Europe trip, or US-Europe-beyond trip, operated by KLM, but not for a trip that doesn't touch the US. You'd have to buy on KLM.

As the previous poster said, the ideal would be if you're able to get the intra-Europe leg included as part of your mileage ticket. If you can't, there's no way to combine a miles booking and a cash booking on a single itinerary, so you'd have to book separately, and you'd be taking the risk that if your inbound flight (into AMS in either direction) is delayed and you miss your connection, the airline wouldn't have to do anything to help you rebook your connection. You also wouldn't be able to check bags through onto the second flight.

If you can't get the trip to book on miles all the way through, it's worth considering booking the whole thing in cash to have it all on one ticket, or leaving yourself more time at your connections (like even an overnight stop in AMS) to give yourself a buffer in case there are any delays.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You can call DL and book over the phone. However 1)no way to do it online, and 2)as I believe you were told in another thread you cant book this as one reservation. Ie award flights and paid flights on one reservation.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM
you also can book this online through delta using ita matrix and the powertools script (i just did this for a NCE-AMS return to use some gift cards w/ out having to call in) -- but as others have said, not possible to get the award and paid flights on the same reservation...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:03 am

They will be separate tickets. But do note, if you buy it in the US, even via Expedia or the like, the KLM ticket will still be issued on 006 DL ticket stock. That can be helpful as DL agents can pull the ticket up and make changes to your KL ticket in the event of problems on your outbound flight (though as noted, not that they have to). I have been able to call DL and get problems resolved when my intra-Europe KL tickets have gone awry for whatever reason for example. It also means you will earn miles and PQDs as a DL ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It also means you will earn miles and PQDs as a DL ticket.
That's no longer true.KLM has their own earning tables. Nowadays those fares earn multiplied by the flight distance not spend based.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grouchy
That's no longer true.KLM has their own earning tables. Nowadays those fares earn multiplied by the flight distance not spend based.
To be clear, ticket stock doesn't matter anymore. How the flight is marketed is all that matters.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I had a trip in April - 2 separate tickets, same 2 people on both PNR's
Award on DL JFK-AMS, obviously on DL Ticket Stock DL flights and metal.
Connected to KL AMS-PRG. Booked via DL DM Phone line. Ticket on 006 Stock. Earned miles based on DL's KL Chart (Mileage based 500 mile minimum). with DM Status benefits - baggage, seat selection.
Baggage checked through to PRG, no problem.

Also booked separate tickets for 4 people via DM Desk KL PRG-AMS (intra-Europe, no connecting International flights). Ticketed on 006 with DL ST+ benefits. Earned miles based on DL's KL Chart (Mileage based 500 mile minimum)

Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Sure enough. I do this several times a year, and my KL flights from this week posted as distance based for the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.