Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to earn 3000 Delta miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Smile Best way to earn 3000 Delta miles?

Hey all - I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the best way to earn 3000 Delta miles for a specific trip I'm looking at. I've done a lot of research and it looks like some survey sites either need a referral or aren't that reliable. I've had the credit card twice and canceled it last time less than a year ago. The dining program, etc etc won't really get me anywhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Welcome to FT. Fly, buy them, or transfer them from a partner like Amex or SPG.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:25 am

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-booster.html

Note: you would need to buy and fly a ticket for the miles to post. You could try finding a cheap E fare RT for like 50-100 depending on your market, then add the mileage booster to get additional miles credited to your account.

Also keep in mind, if you're looking at reward pricing there's a chance that price goes up before you end up getting the 3k miles you are looking for.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Interesting, gonna have to look into that.
I was thinking of finding a friend or family member who could transfer them to me which would be about $60.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by alwaystemporary
Thanks!
Interesting, gonna have to look into that.
I was thinking of finding a friend or family member who could transfer them to me which would be about $60.
IIRC there isn't much of a cost difference between having someone transfer their miles to you versus just buying the miles from DL. If you do the latter, the other person still has their miles for something else.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I get that you don't currently have a Delta Amex, but if you did, and if you do get one in the future, Amex/Delta allows you to borrow miles from the future. So while this won't help you today, it could help you or someone else in the future. You'd need to spend $3,000.00 between now and six months from now on your Amex and you'd earn those miles towards what you owe Amex/Delta.

Beyond that, depending on how good a deal the award flight is that you're looking at, I'd buy the miles from Delta and call it a day.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
If OP is PM/DM, and isn't crunched for time, every Hertz rental nets 1250 miles for each reservation, making it a good possibility, especially if you need the car anyway. Even if you didn't, rentals can be as low as $20, and who's to say you can't just take the car out, and return it almost right away? The miles take a few days to post, though.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Spend 1500 on lyft (just make sure your destination is an airport)

Miles will post immediately.

being sarcastic but they do post immediately.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Spend 1500 on lyft (just make sure your destination is an airport)

Miles will post immediately.

being sarcastic but they do post immediately.
​​
OP could buy Lyft gift cards. Heck, OP could buy gift cards at various Skymiles Dining restaurants, eventually they'd earn 5 miles per dollar spent at each restaurant. The miles would post quickly.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
If OP is PM/DM, and isn't crunched for time, every Hertz rental nets 1250 miles for each reservation, making it a good possibility, especially if you need the car anyway. Even if you didn't, rentals can be as low as $20, and who's to say you can't just take the car out, and return it almost right away? The miles take a few days to post, though.
The Hertz rates including miles can be a lot more expensive than other rental rates you can get from Hertz for the same vehicle at the same time.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Hertz rates including miles can be a lot more expensive than other rental rates you can get from Hertz for the same vehicle at the same time.
You don't have to use the Delta/Hertz code to get the miles, it's enough to plug in your SM number or even give it to them when you return the vehicle. You get hit with a small charge, up to $1.00 but other than that it works on any rate--at least it's been that way for me.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I get that you don't currently have a Delta Amex, but if you did, and if you do get one in the future, Amex/Delta allows you to borrow miles from the future. So while this won't help you today, it could help you or someone else in the future. You'd need to spend $3,000.00 between now and six months from now on your Amex and you'd earn those miles towards what you owe Amex/Delta.

Beyond that, depending on how good a deal the award flight is that you're looking at, I'd buy the miles from Delta and call it a day.
Are you sure about the points advance? The regular Amexes used to have it, but stopped several years ago. Is this something specific to the DL Amex?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Are you sure about the points advance? The regular Amexes used to have it, but stopped several years ago. Is this something specific to the DL Amex?
It is. I have an option for a 5,000-point advance on my Delta-branded Amex right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.