Advice on Late DTW Connection

Old Jun 13, 18, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Advice on Late DTW Connection

I have a Skymiles Delta-One award ticket reserved for August on the following routing - FLL-DTW-AMS-BHX-AMS-JFK-FLL. When I booked the flight, I had a 90 minute connection in DTW, but this was recently changed to 70 minutes.The minimum connecting time in DTW is 60 minutes, so I am legally fine and do not qualify for a free change.

I am a bit worried that if the FLL-DTW flight is delayed, my plans are screwed up as I am scheduled to go on a cruise the day after I arrive and don't want to miss the ship. The DTW-AMS flight is the last flight out of the night and if there's a delay, I'm stuck in DTW. This also makes my flying into BHX (for personal reasons) useless as I'd miss the train to the ship - although I was thinking Delta might allow me to fly into London instead, which is more convenient to the port.

It seems that the FLL-DTW flight is usually on-time and I hope all works out, but am still worried.

Would you -

A) Keep everything as is and hope for the best
B) Pay the $150 fee and change to depart the day before
C) Arrive in FLL for the 2 PM flight and try go on that flight ($75 standby fee?)

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I am a bit worried that if the FLL-DTW flight is delayed, my plans are screwed up as I am scheduled to go on a cruise the day after I arrive and don't want to miss the ship. The DTW-AMS flight is the last flight out of the night and if there's a delay, I'm stuck in DTW
For the benefit of others I'm going to call this out as textbook poor planning.

Call Delta and ask for an earlier departure from FLL that connects to an earlier departure from DTW to AMS, on account of the schedule change. It's possible you will get a generous agent who does not ask for the redeposit fee (or extra mileage).

You can't standby nor SDFC on an international itin until all int'l segments are flown.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While you are not entitled to a free change because the connection is still above MCT, you may still find DL willing to offer you a fee-free change on the domestic segment if you simply express your concern about how screwed up this gets if you do misconnect. As a purely personal matter, I would not have booked even a 90-minute connection if a cruise at the other end is at stake. It is an easy connection if the inbound from FLL is on time, but that is not the issue. Thus, if no fee waiver, I would cough up the fee.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:33 am

For future reference, the more time-critical it is you be somewhere, the more time buffer you should give yourself to account for unexpected delays. E.g. you need to be somewhere for a cruise, you should be planning to arrive at port at least a day prior to departure in case you get delayed. Look at switching your flight. If the fee/fare difference is too much, at least look at getting travel insurance if you don't already have it, in case you do end up misconnecting, missing cruise etc.
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I thought I had allowed myself extra time by arriving the day before the cruise, but this may not be enough in my case.

I was able to call Delta and a very helpful agent allowed me to make a change without any fees. This still gets me into BHX the day before the cruise, but at least I am no longer on the last flights out in case anything happens.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I was able to call Delta and a very helpful agent allowed me to make a change without any fees. This still gets me into BHX the day before the cruise, but at least I am no longer on the last flights out in case anything happens.
One of the reasons I like Delta. Reasonable requests very often elicit positive responses.
CKDGM, mikelan6 and eastindywalrus like this.
Old Jun 15, 18, 11:24 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
By the way, the MCT at DTW for this DL-DL DI itin is actually only 35 minutes, not 60 minutes. You are not looking at the right numbers on EF.

DL-DL DI .35
Old Jun 15, 18, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
While you are not entitled to a free change because the connection is still above MCT, you may still find DL willing to offer you a fee-free change on the domestic segment if you simply express your concern about how screwed up this gets if you do misconnect.
In fact, they've done exactly that for me in the past, and it was even in DTW. I had about a one hour, 40 minute connection time that dropped down close to an hour due to a schedule change. I called and they moved me to an earlier flight to DTW after only a quick check with a supervisor. My DTW-AMS flight was also the last one of the day, so our situations are quite similar.

Keith