Upgrade Superfreakiness...

Old Jun 12, 18, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM, Marriott Life Platinum
Upgrade Superfreakiness...

On with DM desk as I type (on hold, going through multiple supervisors).

The moment my flight(s) (BHM>ATL>BOS) hit 5 days out, I received the automated email notices that both of my legs were upgraded to F. I went in via DL.com and noticed that I was 1A (First Class RU) on BHM>ATL and was "Select Seat" (First Class OU) on ATL>BOS. I clicked "Select Seat" and was presented with the seat map -- LOTS of open F to choose from -- so I hover over 2B and it says "FREE". I select 2B and hit "Save & Exit". I get an error, so I try again -- same result. I try the APP, and it shows the same thing (essentially), including my 1A seat. I go into seats and go to select 2B, but it wants $$$ to UG. Back in DL.com all of the F seats are now grayed-out, but still available (for $$$) in the APP. Now it shows me in Y, so I call the desk. The (very helpful) agent tries her thang and can't get anywhere, saying she sees where I was UG'd to F, but now even she is frozen out of moving me up. Same thing with a supervisor, who is also frozen out, so she says they're "trying something they're not really supposed to do..." -- whatever that is.

This is a first. Any thoughts on what would cause this? 32 minutes on hold and counting so far waiting (which is OK, I'm just sitting here sipping some 19 Crimes ;-)
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Those are two very elite heavy routes. I'm surprised they released any upgrade inventory at the window. It may be an error that you were upgraded.
Old Jun 12, 18, 10:57 pm
pvn

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would just wait until your 2nd flight hits 5 days out and then try
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Those are two very elite heavy routes. I'm surprised they released any upgrade inventory at the window. It may be an error that you were upgraded.
Well, Iím confirmed in 1A BHM>ATL and back to ďFirst Class OUĒ on ATL>BOS (after 45 minutes of supervisor mojo), but still canít select a seat in F. Up until I broke Deltaís system, there were 16 of 20 open seats showing in F on DL903 for Sunday 6/17 ATL>BOS departing at 9:06 PM.

Adding to the Superfreakiness, if I try to book an F seat on that flight it shows availability but will NOT allow me to select a seat during checkout and shows all F seats grayed out (though I can still buy one).
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
It hit about 4 hours ago (and I received my F upgrade email alert the same moment) -- unless you mean my return flight, which is 4 more days out.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

For anyone interested:

Last edited by TheHorta; Jun 12, 18 at 11:46 pm
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:47 pm

Appears to be a systemwide bug...

I canít select seats (in coach) for flights in my trips both 3 days and in 3 months out on my upcoming reservations. Everything is greyed out and a dummy booking nets the same result.

Some of the dummy bookings even result in a ďseat selection unavailable at this timeĒ message when clicking on the seat map

DLís good ol IT at it again...
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 12, 18, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
Appears to be a systemwide bug...

I canít select seats (in coach) for flights in my trips both 3 days and in 3 months out on my upcoming reservations. Everything is greyed out and a dummy booking nets the same result.

DLís good ol IT at it again...
DM agent joked that I crashed their system with this. My entire family calls me "Uncle Break-It".

I'm a wrecking-ball.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 1:22 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I've never failed to be upgrade ATL-BOS or vv as a DM in advance (not always 5 days out, but haven't gone to the gate for this route once this year)

Even if it is an error, if the OP doesn't fly in F then downgrade compensation is due

Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Exactly this. OP over-dramatizing by claiming they broke the DL system. I have the exact same problems as OP frequently - it clears the upgrade for the first segment, but subsequent segments are in purgatory - it knows it will UG me but won't let me save the seat assignment until 120 hours out from the beginning of the segment in question.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
I've never failed to be upgrade ATL-BOS or vv as a DM in advance (not always 5 days out, but haven't gone to the gate for this route once this year)

Even if it is an error, if the OP doesn't fly in F then downgrade compensation is due

Exactly this. OP over-dramatizing by claiming they broke the DL system. I have the exact same problems as OP frequently - it clears the upgrade for the first segment, but subsequent segments are in purgatory - it knows it will UG me but won't let me save the seat assignment until 120 hours out from the beginning of the segment in question.
Seems it was the DM agent who joked the OP broke the system.
12Mermaids and TheHorta like this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Not the same circumstances, but I had a website glitch last week when buying a ticket and selecting the upgrade with miles option. The site gave me a great offer to use miles to upgrade each way. I selected it during the checkout and it even let me pick first class seats. I then hit purchase and when the ticket issued I was back in main cabin, but DL.com took my miles!

Call to the Medallion desk and they couldn't figure out what happened. They cancelled the ticket and refunded my miles and I rebooked. Second time it worked. Agents can't see the "upgrade" offers given to you on the website. To them it appeared I used "pay with miles" to reduce the cost of my ticket.

Long story short, I just today got a call from DL offering me an apology because they forgot to actually issue the refund to my CC.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
Not the same circumstances, but I had a website glitch last week when buying a ticket and selecting the upgrade with miles option. The site gave me a great offer to use miles to upgrade each way. I selected it during the checkout and it even let me pick first class seats. I then hit purchase and when the ticket issued I was back in main cabin, but DL.com took my miles!

Call to the Medallion desk and they couldn't figure out what happened. They cancelled the ticket and refunded my miles and I rebooked. Second time it worked. Agents can't see the "upgrade" offers given to you on the website. To them it appeared I used "pay with miles" to reduce the cost of my ticket.

Long story short, I just today got a call from DL offering me an apology because they forgot to actually issue the refund to my CC.
There are some weird glitches with that feature. I did this one time a few months back and used miles but miles werenít taken and I was charged the FC fare! I called DL and they canceled the cash ticket and the agent redid the booking for me with the same offer that was online over the phone. (Maybe some agent can see these offers?)
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:14 am
Original Poster

NEW SITUATION:

First, sincere apologies to ďCOL/JĒ on DL1212 LAX>DTW today. I poached your would-be upgrade.

Late last night I got an emergency call to rush out to DTW on the first flight out of LAX. I cancel my trip home for the weekend, eating yet another $200 change fee, and book an entirely new RT LAX>DTW.

There are no F seats available for purchase on DL1212, so I buy one of the last M fares and figure Iíll get the UG to C+, which as soon as I book I also check in and am 5/45 for a single F seat and 1/24 for 2 C+ seats. Itís odd that, for the C+ seats, Iím ahead of the same 4 pax who are ahead of me on the F list. I figure theyíre using RUCs.

Flash forward to NOW and Iím in the LAX T3 SC, seated on the porcelain throne and, on a whim, I check to see what other flights are going out with F availability. Lo and behold, the DL1212 that Iím about board in TEN MINUTES is showing a single seat for sale in F!

WTH?!

Immediately I call the DM desk and ask the agent to buy that seat, as Iím walking from the SC to gate 35, where she unchecks me out of my current flight and reissues the new ticket in F for the fare difference, literally 5 minutes before the boarding process commenced.

So, here I sit in 5A, wondering why I could NOT buy this fare/seat 10 hours ago but could 10 minutes ago?

How does this work? Is this FCM at its finest?

Old Oct 11, 18, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Someone misconnected, someone SDCd to another flight, someone got a call and needed to be in AMS and thus needed to cancel their weekend at home in DTW, etc....

No seat was available 10 hours ago. Now there is one. Why is impossible to know.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Sky Club
Somebody did a last minute cancellation or SDC.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: