Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Westjet operated, Delta marketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

Are there any benefits for a gold medallion on a Westjet operated flight which was purchased from Delta? Are checked bags free? DL twitter said no, but wanted to confirm. It's just one flight - LGA-YYZ, so no questions about primary carrier, etc. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Are there any benefits for a gold medallion on a Westjet operated flight which was purchased from Delta? Are checked bags free? DL twitter said no, but wanted to confirm. It's just one flight - LGA-YYZ, so no questions about primary carrier, etc. Thanks.
Is it marketed as DL or WS? You won't get elite or AMEX bag fee waivers regardless. However what you pay for each bag depends on which airlines bag policy applies.

If DL as I assume it's $25US. If WS then $25-29.10CAD if it's there lowest fare. If IT the next level up you get one free. Not sure of why the range on WS fees.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 12, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
What about seat selection? Does DL marketed WS operated, do we have to pay extra to select seats at booking?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by angra
What about seat selection? Does DL marketed WS operated, do we have to pay extra to select seats at booking?
Yes. Only exception is if you are disabled and then they'll pre-assign the bulkhead for free.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:33 am

Thanks - cancelled upcoming trip that included some longish segments. will book elsewhere.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is it marketed as DL or WS?
Thanks, bummer, but may try to convince a sympathetic TA to give me a bag for free. Yes, it's marketed by DL (I believe). I'm not 100% sure since I'm not that experienced with DL yet, but it's a V fare and the ticket was cheap, so I have to imagine it's marketed by DL. On AA they make it clear whether it's marketed by another airline, DL may do the same, but I haven't seen it so not sure what I'd be looking for.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
I flew WS as a GM last month. Didn't get any benefits at all. I did call right after booking to get a seat assignment - I ended up getting one assigned for free by taking the window in the row in front of the exit with limited recline. I didn't mind since I was going to sleep anyway.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes, it's marketed by DL (I believe). I'm not 100% sure since I'm not that experienced with DL yet, but it's a V fare and the ticket was cheap, so I have to imagine it's marketed by DL.
Where's the ambiguity? Does it have a WestJet flight number, or a Delta flight number xxxx operated by WestJet? These disclosures have been mandatory under U.S. law for nearly two decades. (Seriously. The CFR dates to 1999.) Is it a case where you haven't seen the ticket receipt/confirmation yet?
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Where's the ambiguity? Does it have a WestJet flight number, or a Delta flight number xxxx operated by WestJet? These disclosures have been mandatory under U.S. law for nearly two decades. (Seriously. The CFR dates to 1999.) Is it a case where you haven't seen the ticket receipt/confirmation yet?
Well the receipt shows WS xxxx, as does the booking on the travel agency website. On the DL my trips page it shows DL xxxx operated by WestJet. If it helps, the flight number is the same.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:28 pm

I am a diamond medallion and fly Westjet all the time YYZ-LAS. From what I can see, my only perk is that I get assigned a window seat upon booking instead of having to fight for it on check-in at 24 hours minus 1 second before the flight leaves. I pay for bags on Westjet.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Well the receipt shows WS xxxx, as does the booking on the travel agency website. On the DL my trips page it shows DL xxxx operated by WestJet. If it helps, the flight number is the same.
How did you get it to pull up on your DL profile? Did you add your Skymiles number when booking with the OTA? Or did you manually add this to DL.com?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is it marketed as DL or WS? You won't get elite or AMEX bag fee waivers regardless. However what you pay for each bag depends on which airlines bag policy applies.

If DL as I assume it's $25US. If WS then $25-29.10CAD if it's there lowest fare. If IT the next level up you get one free. Not sure of why the range on WS fees.
Would the OP get a free checked bag because it's international?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by kaw753
I am a diamond medallion and fly Westjet all the time YYZ-LAS. From what I can see, my only perk is that I get assigned a window seat upon booking instead of having to fight for it on check-in at 24 hours minus 1 second before the flight leaves. I pay for bags on Westjet.
how do you get the window seat assigned on booking? Call in? Is there a web mechanism?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you have an Amex Platinum card, you can use it to access the Sky Club on a Delta-marketed, WestJet-operated flight that was bought from Delta (technically, one issued on 006 ticket stock).

Not useful if you don't have the card, but it is technically a benefit of booking a WS flight through DL.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
How did you get it to pull up on your DL profile? Did you add your Skymiles number when booking with the OTA? Or did you manually add this to DL.com?

Would the OP get a free checked bag because it's international?
Since there's a DL flight number, there's a reservation in the DL system. As long as SM # is entered, it'll show up on delta.com

Bag policy for both DL and WS groups CANADA in with the US for baggage purposes. No free bag. Since checking in with WS, NO BAG FEE WAIVERS.

OP appears to bought a DL codeshare on WS. The receipt that DL generates will for some reason show the operating carrier flight number. However the reservation shows how it was truly ticketed. DL doesn't seem to generate the receipt incorrectly. Even though you're booked and ticketed on the DL flight number, the receipt it generates online or in app pulls the operating carrier number.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I have flown Westjet several times under DL flight numbers and they have always told me I get my DL baggage allowance - gone skiing so have checked up to 2 bags plus a ski bag with no problem..You can;t get the seats assigned ahead of time, very true no matter how hard you try, but the airport agents are usually very nice (like most Canadians are.. ) and have sometimes (but not always) even given me a plus seat for my status with DL (DM).. I've always had a pleasant experience flying them, although I try to stick to DL as I usually get upgraded to F anyway on the CAN routes.. but Westjet is not bad at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.