Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Westjet operated, Delta marketed flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet operated, Delta marketed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by angra
how do you get the window seat assigned on booking? Call in? Is there a web mechanism?
I always just seem to have a window seat assigned when I do check in. Could be luck, but I have flown YYZ-LAS at least 10 times and always had a good seat without doing the 24 hour check in.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
How did you get it to pull up on your DL profile? Did you add your Skymiles number when booking with the OTA? Or did you manually add this to DL.com?
The OTA already had my Skymiles number in their system, I didn't specifically add it in for this flight.

I went to Delta to checkin online and this is what it says "We found your reservation, and your first flight is operated by WestJet. When you select 'NEXT', you'll be directed to https://www.westjet.com to complete check-in. You'll be able to manage your seats and Frequent Flyer information on our partner's web site." I checked in on the WS website and was able to choose a seat, etc. They were showing a fee of $25 for the checked bag, but only a $31 fee to upgrade to a Plus seat. I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth it to just pay for the plus seat to get the free checked bag (if it would still come with a free checked bag). The plus seat may be worth about $6 to me, but weighing the likelihood that the WS agent would give me a free bag for having GM.

I also contacted WS via Twitter to see if the upgrade grants access to the two free checked bags, and will report back if I hear from them.

UPDATE: the seat upgrade to plus does not include free checked bags (not too surprising).

Last edited by jetsfan92588; Jun 15, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:39 am

I book through my corporate travel website and fly a westjet operated DL ticketed flight biweekly LAX-YVR. The reservations show up on my Delta account but I do not have the ability to select seats until 24 hours before the flight. I have DL platinum and get up to 2 free checked bags when I show them "my wallet" in the Delta app. The trick is when you are checking in to say "not checking bags" and then go to the counter and show them your status and then check a bag for free. I have received some quizzical looks but after they consult with other agents they understand the free checked bags. Also I go ahead and use the WJ priority lane to the counters (not sure what WJ calls their status members).

I imagine DL gold would give you 1 bag but unfortunately I do not have a solid data point as I have only ever started flying WJ with my plat status.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Update

I was able to get a free checked bag both ways. On the outbound I was getting my phone out while she was checking passports and she said "what are you about to show me?" I showed her my status and said "for a checked bag" and she thanked me and printed and put the bag tag on.

On the return I got it free as well. The TA said it was $25 and I showed her gold on the app and she said ok and waived the fee.

I'm still not 100% sure what the actual policy is, but the westjet agents were accommodating in my case.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
I am flying Toronto-Quebec City on Westjet in September. DL told me my luggage won't be charged because I am flying MKE-DTW-Toronto on a DL flight. Then the luggage will be transferred to the Westjet flight at no charge. I wanted a reserved aisle seat, so DL said I had to call Westjet and ask them about it. I did, and I paid $9 for an aisle seat ahead of the flight.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Standby on WS

My son is Delta GM. He flew standby on WestJet today and was charged $100.00. Does Wedtjet not recognize Delta status, because it’s website says that WestJet gold flyers waive that fee
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by michiganradioflyer
My son is Delta GM. He flew standby on WestJet today and was charged $100.00. Does Wedtjet not recognize Delta status, because it’s website says that WestJet gold flyers waive that fee
There's no set benefits. The only one I ever get all the time is bag fee waiver. As a DM they let me check 3 bags free. In fact just did it today on YYC-YXX (ABBOTSFORD). It's only benefit we seem to get. Makes sense as DL doesn't waive SDS/C fee for NON-DL elites.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
WestJet customer relations confirmed to me in an email response about 5 weeks ago that there are no reciprocal benefits for Delta medallion members.

So much for the full joint venture agreement they announced over a year ago. I can't even get WestJet flights to post for mileage credit, I think I'm 1 for 8 in last few months.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamuelS
WestJet customer relations confirmed to me in an email response about 5 weeks ago that there are no reciprocal benefits for Delta medallion members.

So much for the full joint venture agreement they announced over a year ago. I can't even get WestJet flights to post for mileage credit, I think I'm 1 for 8 in last few months.
Strange as WS CS are who confirmed to me that we get free bags, but nothing else. Which I've has no issue with.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Gold, American Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree on the JV Comment

Originally Posted by SamuelS

I agree on the JV Comment, it thought WestJet gate folks, the seat, lack of ANY benefits beyond luggage makes this a joke. It is a little like delta partnering with Spirit. Very uncomfortable
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rprimo
I agree on the JV Comment, it thought WestJet gate folks, the seat, lack of ANY benefits beyond luggage makes this a joke. It is a little like delta partnering with Spirit. Very uncomfortable
Its not lile there was much choice for a Canadian partner. Regardless WS is in process of transforming from a LCC to a full service airline. Think it'll just take time.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
about to book a YVR-YYZ flight from WestJet directly, and should have 2 bags to check (PM) - seems like baggage fee waiver is a YMMV situation?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lonelygod
about to book a YVR-YYZ flight from WestJet directly, and should have 2 bags to check (PM) - seems like baggage fee waiver is a YMMV situation?
Bag fee waiver is the only thing DL elites seems to consistently get. Anything else is very much YMMV.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
On a DL marketed award ticket on WS metal. USA-CAN

WS cancelled the flight.
DL put me on a routing that’s 2x as long (one-stop vs non-stop)
Twitter customer service won’t put me on the non-stop WS flight because “there’s no award availability” (but they are selling seats).

Any advice on the magic language to stay / Conditions of Carriage to refer to in this instance?

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shuuy
On a DL marketed award ticket on WS metal. USA-CAN

WS cancelled the flight.
DL put me on a routing that’s 2x as long (one-stop vs non-stop)
Twitter customer service won’t put me on the non-stop WS flight because “there’s no award availability” (but they are selling seats).

Any advice on the magic language to stay / Conditions of Carriage to refer to in this instance?

Nope. Take a refund is it. DL cant force partners to open space on their flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.