Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pax with apple issue at customs wins case w/ help from rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pax with apple issue at customs wins case w/ help from rep

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

They need to be friendly. They serve the public.
This attitude seems to forget they're law officers serving the public as a whole. They're not serving one passenger. They're not there to provide service to you, but to the public/nation as the whole.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They're not there to provide service to you, but to the public/nation as the whole.
So is the Chik fil A employee. As far as I know Chik fil A isn't allowed to pick and choose who they serve. But I always get a smile and "my pleasure" when I go there. And I'm guessing CBP agents are much better paid than a Chik fil A employee.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles

Agreed, they are public servants, they work for us. There is nothing wrong with them enforcing laws but still being nice/using common sense. Unfortunately just like with law enforcement some of them let a little power go to their head.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette

If you’ve had issues, my guess is that attitude is the reason why.

I recognize bashing CBP is par for the course on FT, but they have a job to do.
But here you are just using the other and opposite tired old FT trope, which is that if a airline (customs) agent is acting rudely, the only possibility is that the pax was being rude. Neither of these views are useful or truthful. Obviously what is true is that sometimes pax are rude, and sometimes employees are rude. I don't see how it's ever productive to assume either when we don't know.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But here you are just using the other and opposite tired old FT trope, which is that if a airline (customs) agent is acting rudely, the only possibility is that the pax was being rude. Neither of these views are useful or truthful. Obviously what is true is that sometimes pax are rude, and sometimes employees are rude. I don't see how it's ever productive to assume either when we don't know.
The comment I responded to was objectively rude. I’m merely responding to the tone of that post. So, no, I fully reject your characterization of my post and reiterate what I said. Maybe read the posts before responding next time?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Centurion
You get Global Entry revoked for even minor stuff. Example..If asked and you declare Cuban Cigars and they confiscate them you are scarlet lettered and will never get Global Entry or it will be revoked if you already have it.
I don't think there's any such penalty if you declare them. They'll get confiscated, that's all.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

The comment I responded to was objectively rude. I’m merely responding to the tone of that post. So, no, I fully reject your characterization of my post and reiterate what I said. Maybe read the posts before responding next time?

Oh you're right, I did totally misread what you wrote. Sorry about that. I still stand by my point, but not in relation to your comment. Apologies/all my best.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

If you’ve had issues, my guess is that attitude is the reason why.
A huge part of the job description of law enforcement is dealing with a--holes without acting like one yourself. If fines are being doled out as punishment for snarky comments to the officer, that's just not the rule of law.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Your streak of falsehoods continues.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen someone without GE beat someone with it past CBP. Ever.
I must have flown into the States at least 60 times in the past 40 years, do not have GE, and only once was asked to have my baggage inspected -- and that was just an x-ray of my hand luggage. Before the passport scanners were installed at JFK I had to stand in line to show CBP my passport and the sole question I was asked was if my trip was business or pleasure, and most times I was not asked even that.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamOF
A huge part of the job description of law enforcement is dealing with a--holes without acting like one yourself. If fines are being doled out as punishment for snarky comments to the officer, that's just not the rule of law.
It's called discretion. Very legal under the rule of law.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
Who said fines are being doled out as punishment for rudeness? But, if you are rude, I think it only natural that you aren’t going to get the benefit of the doubt and I don’t have the problem with that. Heck, the entire thread is about someone expecting CBP to bend the rules in their favor! The rule of law says the woman should have to pay the $500.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

I've never had an unpleasant encounter with CBP.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If that had been readywhenyouare's first FT post, this might be a good point, but he has a prolific history here so it shouldn't be too hard for anyone to get a read on him.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I disagree with reversing the fine and revocation.

There is a legit reason why fruits and veggies and some other items are prohibited. CBP could never possible enforce even a checkpoint screening that prevents all. So the threat of a fine is needed to reduce the flow of these.

The Global Entry issue makes this even worse. The point of the program is that these people should be allowed to pass with less inspection because they will abide by the rules. Obviously this passenger does not. Global Entry can be denied to somebody for almost any reason. I would think the inability to comply with Customs regulations would be an obvious reason.

That it was an apple provided by DL matters not at all.
pbarnette, HDQDD, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
I've never had an unpleasant encounter with CBP.
I consider not smiling or addressing me in a nice way to be unpleasant. As my great aunt would say, be pleasant damnit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.