Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pax with apple issue at customs wins case w/ help from rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pax with apple issue at customs wins case w/ help from rep

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Centurion
You get Global Entry revoked for even minor stuff. Example..If asked and you declare Cuban Cigars and they confiscate them you are scarlet lettered and will never get Global Entry or it will be revoked if you already have it.
I’m not sure the Cuban cigar examples flies. I flat out told CBP I had Cigars & Rum when I returned from Havana and they waived me through. Because they aren’t prohibited anymore......
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TheHorta
I can't tell you the number of times I've made it out ahead of GE peeps. I don't do GE or Pre, but I do use Clear, sometimes...
Your streak of falsehoods continues.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen someone without GE beat someone with it past CBP. Ever.
SuperG1955, jdrtravel and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Glad the penalty was dropped and her GE restored.

Worry about real problems, CBP.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt

I’m not sure the Cuban cigar examples flies. I flat out told CBP I had Cigars & Rum when I returned from Havana and they waived me through. Because they aren’t prohibited anymore......

You're allowed to bring back Cuban cigars if you go to Cuba legally, but you're still not allowed to buy Cuban cigars in a country other than Cuba.

Not sure whether customs would have jurisdiction over that though. I imagine they would, just don't know.

Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'm assuming they still have the right to inspect your bags at "random"?
Sure, but that means this person was randomly selected twice and both of those times she just happened to be bringing extra fruit from the plane?

Last edited by jetsfan92588; Jun 11, 2018 at 4:12 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife has accidently brought back fruit in her backpack from overseas a couple of times and was never fined or treated improperly. Yes, it's not much fun having all your luggage searched when they find it, but it's just part of the process and nothing personal. I very much suspect there is more to this story and the pax pushed back against the search when caught. The fact that she was trying to blame Delta for the whole affair left a bad taste in my mouth.
gooselee likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 9, 2018 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Your streak of falsehoods continues.

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever seen someone without GE beat someone with it past CBP. Ever.
I've done it using the mobile passport app. Literally didn't even have to break stride.
davetravels and FlyerWx like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
My wife has accidently brought back fruit in her backpack from overseas a couple of times and was never fined or treated improperly. Yes, it's not much fun having all your luggage searched when they find it, but it's just part of the process and nothing personal. I very much suspect there is more to this story and the pax pushed back against the search when caught. The fact that she was trying to blame Delta for the whole affair left a bad taste in my mouth.
IME the DL prelanding announcement is very explicit about food, specifically including food acquired on the flight. If the aircraft was catered overseas, the fruit a FA gives out can be just as risky for plant diseases as fruit purchased at a street market in the same country AFAIK in that DL overseas caterers wouldn't have established a separate "sterile" supply chain for such food items.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Sure, but that means this person was randomly selected twice and both of those times she just happened to be bringing extra fruit from the plane?
Exactly. Or maybe she didn't have GE the first time, and CBP used common sense in her application process by (incorrectly) assuming she had learned from that experience and certainly would know better the next time. Either way, all the more reason to have the book thrown at her on the second offense.

Originally Posted by LBJ
Agree. Big difference between an accident you immediately own up to and an intentional action you try to blame others for. The extremely vocal blaming of everyone but herself says a lot about this woman's intent and personality, IMO.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Glad this eventually worked out for her. ^ to the Congressman for being pro-active and for his common sense.

I'm not a big fan of so-called 'zero tolerance' policies, in part because too many enforcers start getting hung up on 'near zero' items and forget what the original mission focus was - to find serious contraband. It's like training a dog to follow too many different scents (drugs and explosives, for example).

Given the built-in ambiguity about what constitutes 'food', I think even GE folks should be eligible for one warning - not entitled to, but certainly eligible for.

I have to smile whenever someone points out the dangers that could be lurking on a single apple - an apple that might have been allowed if declared. I once bought a Snickers bar overseas. I declared candy, no one looked at it, everything perfectly legal and above board. Go customs!

Not too long after, I opened it up and took a first bite. The peanuts were all wriggling with worms. In an imported food stuff that had been properly declared to customs and allowed in.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by chollie
Given the built-in ambiguity about what constitutes 'food', I think even GE folks should be eligible for one warning - not entitled to, but certainly eligible for.
OK. And what if it is someone's second offense? The imposed fine in this case aligns with a second-offense violation, not first offense.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by chollie
I'm not a big fan of so-called 'zero tolerance' policies, in part because too many enforcers start getting hung up on 'near zero' items and forget what the original mission focus was - to find serious contraband.
Don't think that's correct. It's to eliminate any chance of a threat to agriculture. Not "contraband" whether "serious" or not.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
Don't think that's correct. It's to eliminate any chance of a threat to agriculture. Not "contraband" whether "serious" or not.
I consider any banned item to be 'contraband'.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Good. I hate CBP and the morons that work for them.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Good. I hate CBP and the morons that work for them.
If you’ve had issues, my guess is that attitude is the reason why.

I recognize bashing CBP is par for the course on FT, but they have a job to do. Hating people for doing their job or calling them morons is rude, and worse, self-defeating.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette

If you’ve had issues, my guess is that attitude is the reason why.

I recognize bashing CBP is par for the course on FT, but they have a job to do. Hating people for doing their job or calling them morons is rude, and worse, self-defeating.
They need to be friendly. They serve the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.