Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on question - insulin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Question Carry-on question - insulin

HI!
I have a quick question that I was hoping that someone could answer for me.
My husband is diabetic and takes insulin. (just added insulin about a year ago as the pills he was on for most of his life are no longer effective)
This will be the first time that he has flown since starting insulin. We have a small soft-sided case (basically a small lunchbox) that he carries his insulin in along with an ice pack to keep it cold (since it has to stay refrigerated)
We are flying Delta for an upcoming trip and we wondered if they would consider his bag for his medication as his 1 carry-on? He also has a laptop bag that he carries his computer in, so we weren't sure how they would treat this. Or if it's medication (which he has to bring on board since he can't pack it) does that not count as a part of your carry-on total.

Any ideas?

~D
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Nope they won't consider it carry on. My mom flies with her insulin kit and apac machine all the time and they never counted towards her free carry on.
HD_3 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
In addition to the above info, each passenger is allowed one carry-on and one personal item, so the insulin case would still not put your husband over the limit if it were not already exempt.
HD_3 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
If they didn't let him on with it, the PR ****storm that would ensue would rival the UA assault.
HD_3, hi55us and zarkov505 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:11 pm

Should be fine and TSA (and security in most countries) shouldn't have any problems with anyone taking prescriptions with them - liquid limits, sharp objects and other regulations be damned! That being said, the amount of prescription medicine you take should be reasonable (i.e. not carrying a years supply or something way more than a diabetic would ordinary carry for their trip).

If you are given any hassle for it I'd ask for a doctor to come on the plane and explain to them how insulin isn't considered an "optional" item for a diabetic.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
My dad carries a letter from his doctor with the supplies, never has had a problem at security with the liquids or juice to treat a low blood sugar. Just make sure any liquids you bring are sealed and be prepared for your bag to face additional screening and having it swabbed.
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I've carried ice packs and needles before plenty of times and never had a problem. First time I did it, I asked TSA ahead of time if it would be a problem and they said they "may be subject to extra screening" but some 50 odd flights later, no one had looked at them funny - TSA or Delta.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
These cases are much easier to travel with than ice. They work on an evaporative basis and are very effective.
I don't use regular insulin, but I do use Lantus and another diabetic injectable and have used a case by this company for over ten years

Amazon Amazon
crank1225 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:10 pm

I have done this many times. TSA didn’t like unfrozen ice packs I had on one trip but I always carry a Dr’s letter and have never had a problem. T1D is quite common and the airlines and TSA and even Customs are quite understanding. By the way I often buy 6-12 months supply in Canada at a fraction of the cost and I always declare it with no problems.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:39 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
As a Type 1 diabetic with a couple million miles travel in the last 15 years I have never had a problem traveling with insulin along with both a personal item and carryon.

My interpretation has always been analogous to a pair of crutches. Except crutches don’t disintegrate above or below a narrow temperature range and cost $700 to replace.

one recommendation is understand the temperature range of your ice packs as most are well below freezing, Arctic Ice Alaskan Series keeps the temperature at 33.6F in your cooler.

Regarding TSA you’ll want to make sure the freezer pack is frozen I.e not a liquid or gel, should it be melted it will be at the TSA’s discretion
Larrude likes this.

Last edited by kiwicanuck; Jun 6, 2018 at 9:41 pm Reason: Correction.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:45 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Larrude
These cases are much easier to travel with than ice. They work on an evaporative basis and are very effective.
I don't use regular insulin, but I do use Lantus and another diabetic injectable and have used a case by this company for over ten years

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_2fggn79hso_e
Ive had challenges with Frio, mostly when it is either to humid a climate, or if they’re “overcharged” in water.

That being said they were integral to being able to still go backpack RTW for a year 2 months after being first diagnosed
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:18 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I've been carrying insulin on planes since 1993 with never an issue. I'm not a physician, but was told by both my endocrinologist and a pharmacist friend that insulin doesn't technically need to be kept refrigerated full time. In face it comes in from medical distributors without any refrigeration. It probably can be ok, according to those sources mentioned above, for up to two weeks. After that it can lose some of its potency but comes back when you refrigerate it.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The Official DELTA Policy

Medical Supplies and EquipmentMedical Supplies & Equipment

Medical supplies or equipment are allowed on board as additional items at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, as an "additional carry-on item", as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits. If your supplies/equipment are included in a larger bag that contains other non-essential items, that bag will not be considered a free item, and will be subject to normal baggage fees.

Needles/Syringes

Needles and syringes are permitted in carry-on baggage as long as they are accompanied with medication that have a professionally printed label identifying the medication, manufacturer’s name and/or pharmaceutical label.

TSA has similar screening OK including fully or partially frozen Ice Packs.
Tom45 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I used to have to carry two injectables, insulin and another but I’m not currently taking either. My insulin wasn’t iced but the other one was. I never had a problem with either. I still carry Epi Pens and again no problem. A note from the doctor is a good backup but I never had to use it. Mine are on his script pad. The notes are simple, like “GadgetFreak is a patient of mine. He is diabetic and must carry insulin and associated materials with him” and a signature.
crank1225 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by HD_3
HI!
I have a quick question that I was hoping that someone could answer for me.
My husband is diabetic and takes insulin. (just added insulin about a year ago as the pills he was on for most of his life are no longer effective)
This will be the first time that he has flown since starting insulin. We have a small soft-sided case (basically a small lunchbox) that he carries his insulin in along with an ice pack to keep it cold (since it has to stay refrigerated)
We are flying Delta for an upcoming trip and we wondered if they would consider his bag for his medication as his 1 carry-on? He also has a laptop bag that he carries his computer in, so we weren't sure how they would treat this. Or if it's medication (which he has to bring on board since he can't pack it) does that not count as a part of your carry-on total.

Any ideas?

~D
Although medical equipment and medications are “exempt” from carry-on rules, due to limited storage space GA’s can give you a hassle specially on small commuter flights, should exercise common sense with the number and size of items you plan to carry on the airplane, lastly, F pax have considerably more leeway.

safe travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.