Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on question - insulin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I can also confirm that there will be no issues. Several times flight attendants have provided us with dry ice on TATL flights if necessary.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ZJ3000

Although medical equipment and medications are “exempt” from carry-on rules, due to limited storage space GA’s can give you a hassle specially on small commuter flights, should exercise common sense with the number and size of items you plan to carry on the airplane, lastly, F pax have considerably more leeway.

safe travels
This has not been the case for my spouse, she travels frequently on regional flights and has never had any issues.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by lovecabo
I've been carrying insulin on planes since 1993 with never an issue. I'm not a physician, but was told by both my endocrinologist and a pharmacist friend that insulin doesn't technically need to be kept refrigerated full time. In face it comes in from medical distributors without any refrigeratio.
Correct from my experience and my endo. Insulin does well without refrigeration. Just don't leave it in a closed car parked in the sun, etc. I only refrigerate at home and never had an issue even after 4+ weeks of travel.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by erik123
Correct from my experience and my endo. Insulin does well without refrigeration. Just don't leave it in a closed car parked in the sun, etc. I only refrigerate at home and never had an issue even after 4+ weeks of travel.
Insulin is good for 30 days after being out of the fridge. Like you said just don't expose it to sun, heat, etc. I've been a Type 1 for over 36 years and only refrigerate my excess insulin, I never refrigerate the insulin vial I'm using. I use an Omnipod for my insulin pump and they recommend putting room temp insulin in the pods.

When I travel I usually carry my open vial of insulin I'm currently using and a spare vial and have never had problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.