Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Perhaps most pathetic reason for a delay I've seen - June 6 DL 2440 SEA-MSP redeye

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Just curious, but in this context could you clarify whether your usage of "commute" meant from the neighbouring suburbs, or if they'd fly in from a different city entirely (I'm guessing the latter)?

thanks.
Both. I have no idea % wise, but from pilots who I am friends with (they fly for other carriers), met, had that shared where they were coming from, etc., I know quite a few live over in Eastern WA, over on the peninsula, or even down in Oregon and drive to SEA. Like any base, I am sure there are quite few who live a long ways away and fly in as well.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by Gig103
Hah!

I had a SFO-JFK flight a few months ago turn a 3.5 hour delay into a 7 hour delay because some necessary crew had arrived at the TSA checkpoint after it was closed (which is 12:30 in T1 I think?) and we had to sit on the ground for 2-3 hours until it would open up again.

I was furious at the time, but now it's kind of funny. Luckily I was in D1 and used it as an opportunity to get some sleep, but I can't imagine how mad I would have been if I'd have been in Y.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

i would bet my income for a year, the meeting that took place with the chief pilot in his office was not pleasant, a written warning was issued and the pilots job will be in serious jeapordy if it happens again...
I sincerely hope that Delta treats their pilots a lot better than that. We are all human and will make trivial errors now and again. Flight crews hopefully work in an environment where owning up to your mistakes is encouraged - this is one of the reasons why flight safety has improved. If the pilot is fearful of losing his job over a small mistake its hardly creating an environment for calm decision making.
The Situation likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by highpeaklad

I sincerely hope that Delta treats their pilots a lot better than that. We are all human and will make trivial errors now and again. Flight crews hopefully work in an environment where owning up to your mistakes is encouraged - this is one of the reasons why flight safety has improved. If the pilot is fearful of losing his job over a small mistake its hardly creating an environment for calm decision making.
I can't speak to what level reprimand is warranted in a case like this, but I'm of the opinion that it certainly isn't "trivial" by any means. While it is a "mistake", it's a glaring one, of which should not occur with a seasoned professional.

When timeliness and accuracy are rudimentary functions of one's job, it's a bit hard to overlook. No one is perfect, nor am I expecting that of anyone, but certain job functions do hold a higher level of expectation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.