Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL-FLL First Class goes out 5 empty! BIG Upgrade list

ATL-FLL First Class goes out 5 empty! BIG Upgrade list

Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by davetravels
Dare I go onto my usual rant about how well NW handled last minute UGs???. . . . or CO, for that matter.
Not sure where that rant would go... but NW upgraded me many times after boarding. These are the ones I remember but there were others.

DTW-CLE 2x - Both the same gate agent , 3 weeks apart on a Bae146. The 2nd time, he remembered! He said Mr...... I never seem to leave you back here! haha . Look at that , short flight, seat barely mattered at all but the service gesture was so kind and made for a great memory.
DTW - BOS - 1x
FLL-DTW - 1x
DTW-NRT - Op up!!! after boarding... i guess they had to

Brinignig up NWA made me miss the great service. Seats in F were nothing special but the catering was always excellent and the crews were fantastic compared to what we have now. NWA treated Platinum Elites better than AA Treats Concierge Keys... agin this was in my experience
chrisny2 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by aero0729; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
Itd be nice if GAs would start releasing seats 15 minutes before departure for anyone not onboard so they can process the upgrades. Maybe a few more missed connections, but at least F will leave full and on-time.
Agreed. It should be automatic. No shows get thrown off and the system processes any remaining upgrades.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
ATL has gone from not so good to very bad recently. When flying within the US, most of my flights are now through ATL and in the last 3 months I've been disappointed many times. I'm starting to believe that my PNR has a "Skip this passenger" flag because it seems to be the norm that now I am skipped and my upgrade given to someone else below me on the list or to a standby. My only positive experience (but not so positive for anyone else in the list) was on an ATL-FLL flight were I waited until T-10 and was given a FC seat, the list had more than 10 people and 5 seats went empty.

Too bad I cannot send a message to DL because since my address I'm based in France, the messages are sent to Air France, who acknowledge the message 3 months after they receive it and do nothing with them.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Delta has really gone downhill. Bubba is selling his stock.
No need ro go overboard. Hes still fan number one.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I wonder if you're trying to be sarcastic. You please marginal upgraders at the cost of people who paid for F or got the confirmed upgrade earlier finding their seats have been given away.
Thats the trade off. Drop someone elses seat and upgrade me when Im at the gate and its close to departure, but dont drop my seat if Im on the other end of that situation and trying to run to the gate from a late flight. I dont see a winning solution for everyone here.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Widgets

Thats the trade off. Drop someone elses seat and upgrade me when Im at the gate and its close to departure, but dont drop my seat if Im on the other end of that situation and trying to run to the gate from a late flight. I dont see a winning solution for everyone here.
Part of the problem is the app auto-checkin. I end up not taking about 1 in 10 flights and realize it before it's too late to cancel, so in the past I just wouldn't check in. Now I can't use the app without first checking in (or at least it's a real pain to do it). Delta has knowledge of a connecting flight (and whether it is possible for someone to make their connection), but has no way to know whether a person who is originating is going to make their flight (while I don't advocate it, it would almost be nice of the TSA boarding pass scanners fed into the airline's system - if they haven't cleared security at T-15, they can be safely bumped from the flight).

As such, auto-checkin means a lot of people who aren't going to take a flight makes it look like they are.
Renes Points and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SDQBound
ATL has gone from not so good to very bad recently. When flying within the US, most of my flights are now through ATL and in the last 3 months I've been disappointed many times. I'm starting to believe that my PNR has a "Skip this passenger" flag because it seems to be the norm that now I am skipped and my upgrade given to someone else below me on the list or to a standby. My only positive experience (but not so positive for anyone else in the list) was on an ATL-FLL flight were I waited until T-10 and was given a FC seat, the list had more than 10 people and 5 seats went empty.

Too bad I cannot send a message to DL because since my address I'm based in France, the messages are sent to Air France, who acknowledge the message 3 months after they receive it and do nothing with them.
You can call the DL post-flight customer service number in ATL.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aero0729
Its for certain. Delta Air Lines does not care about processing your upgrade. Team board-last DOES NOT MATTER!!

I am Diamond with Delta and its been a few months since I have flown them. I know United gets a terrible wrap (wait , don't all the US carriers) but in the last 4 months as a Plat with United, I have been upgraded from coach to First on the aircraft by the gate agent 3 times, each time the agent seemed excited to do their job and to hand out an upgrade.

Well Delta really stinks at this. I went RNO-SLC-ATL-FLL. This is actually the only non-red eye option which was my real reason for moving to UA. Reno is not a good airport for DL.

RNO-SLC--- 2 standbys ended up in Comfort + 4 A,B , My companion and I sat in 17 A, B. I will be happy to PM the screen shots for those who do not believe it. These standbys got those seats while we were still in the boarding area. I went up to the desk and asked why, she said she paged us but we did not answer! BS!!! We were in the gate area.

SLC-ATL - Upgraded since this flight was using an RPU...

ATL-FLL - #1 and #2 for 1 seat. We had no carry - ons so we waited to the every end. T-25 we get paged and I give my companion the upgrade and keep myself #1 on the list. I wait until final boarding call. My companion texts and says seat next to him is open along with 4-5 other seats. I ask the agent and he told me if I do not board now, I will lose my seat. So I board the plane and take my Comfort + seat which was not a bad seat but still... Gate agent gets on at T-5 hands something to flight attendant and flight attendant points out open 1st class seats. Gate agent says no time, walks out and the door closes (This is according to my companion who was sitting in 2C)

This ended up being a long flight. Anyone leaving ATL yesterday evening knows what I am talking about. I was 90 minutes on the ground plus air time.

I was happy with my seat, I do not expect upgrades so much anymore. What bothers me is when they are available and not processed or not done correctly. Here is a fact:

I flew on 3 Delta Flights yesterday and none of them had good customer service. From bad gate agents to lazy flight attendants, none of them with a smile on their face. United on the contrary has been excellent. They are really trying to surge and DL is sinking and they are sinking FAST. Only thing going for DL and I mean ONLY think is the entertainment screens.
It took you longer to type this out than the ATL to FLL flight time is.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
SO? He/she is still entitled to the upgrade as a published elite benefit to which he/she is entitled because he/she has earned the status, the ticket qualifies for an upgrade, and he/she is next on the priority list. It doesn't matter if the flight time is scheduled for only one minute, he/she is entitled to that upgrade.
SDQBound, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
Right ... but what happens when its a 5 hour flight and it goes out empty. The fact is DL is letting seats go out empty. If you read the whole post you would see it was actually over 3 hours on the plane. You can look at flightaware for DL1657 on 6/3. You never know when youll end up on long ground delays or diverted. You should take all the upgrades that should be yours.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
deleted

Last edited by robnsfla; Jun 5, 2018 at 4:01 am
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
what no non-revs took the seats?? how could that happen..???????
my wife was #1 for an upgrade with 2 seats open. both of those seats were gone while she was standing at the gate ready to board.. you guessed it NON-REV.. she was so upset.. (well words that I would not use here)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
my wife was #1 for an upgrade with 2 seats open. both of those seats were gone while she was standing at the gate ready to board.. you guessed it NON-REV.. she was so upset.. (well words that I would not use here)
Here is what I think:

DL has to clear the standbys anyway...so when people no -show and empty F class seats are open. It is way easier to just clear the standby into F than to upgrade those who have already boarded.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:55 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fotographer
"Standing at the gate ready to board" has been exactly our situation. I'm wondering if gate agents know that we have the ability to see standbys cleared into C+ and F when there's still an upgrade list.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
(while I don't advocate it, it would almost be nice of the TSA boarding pass scanners fed into the airline's system - if they haven't cleared security at T-15, they can be safely bumped from the flight).
FWIW, they have this at LHR (not sure if it's specific to BA or an overall BAA thing), it's called Flight Conformance. And they have it for connecting pax too. If you're not scanned in by the cutoff (forget exactly what it is, T-30 maybe?) you're offloaded from the flight. For pax, I think it has more drawbacks than benefits, but I guess it's favorable for the airline...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.