Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Potential misconnect at CDG - will DL rebook on non-SkyTeam carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:16 pm
RJ1
Original Poster

I am considering a flight from LAX-CDG-ATH. LAX-CDG is DL and CDG-ATH is AF. The connection is 75 minutes at CDG (only five minutes over the MCT based on what I'm seeing).

If I misconnect, would DL rebook me on the next available flight to ATH on any carrier, or would it have to be a SkyTeam carrier (i.e., AF)? The next available AF flight is eight hours later, but there is a non-SkyTeam flight that is only three hours later.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RJ1
I am considering a flight from LAX-CDG-ATH. LAX-CDG is DL and CDG-ATH is AF. The connection is 75 minutes at CDG (only five minutes over the MCT based on what I'm seeing).

If I misconnect, would DL rebook me on the next available flight to ATH on any carrier, or would it have to be a SkyTeam carrier (i.e., AF)? The next available AF flight is eight hours later, but there is a non-SkyTeam flight that is only three hours later.
AF would be rebooking you. They handle DL at CDG. No, you'll be put on AF or connected through AMS with KLM. If you had been flying AF to CDG then they would most likely put you on OAL due to EC261 comp. However it doesnt apply since flying to EU on non-EU airline.
RJ1 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:04 pm
RJ1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
AF would be rebooking you. They handle DL at CDG. No, you'll be put on AF or connected through AMS with KLM. If you had been flying AF to CDG then they would most likely put you on OAL due to EC261 comp. However it doesnt apply since flying to EU on non-EU airline.
Thanks.

Apparently the DL flight from LAX to CDG is new service, beginning this month. So, no on time performance yet. Haven't connected at CDG in a very long time, so the 75 minute connection time makes me a little nervous.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether it can happen at all will depend on whether DL has an interline agreement with the other carrier. You have not told us which carrier and flight you are thinking of, so need that information in the first instance.

While AF will handle the paperwork, it applies DL's policies when it acts as DL's agent. DL does give its agents the discretion to rebook OA -- noting the need for an interline agreement -- but, it is highly unlikely for an 8-hour delay, particularly when there are likely alternatives on AF through AMS.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
OP...like so many things, YMMV. I have been rebooked twice on Swiss over the past two years. It was surprising when it happened. Once was IRROPS and once was VDB.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I'm flying JFK-CDG and CDG-TLS on AF in two weeks with a 65-minute connection time. You'll be fine. The West-East European flights usually seem to land about 35-40 minutes early anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:00 am
RJ1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Whether it can happen at all will depend on whether DL has an interline agreement with the other carrier. You have not told us which carrier and flight you are thinking of, so need that information in the first instance.

While AF will handle the paperwork, it applies DL's policies when it acts as DL's agent. DL does give its agents the discretion to rebook OA -- noting the need for an interline agreement -- but, it is highly unlikely for an 8-hour delay, particularly when there are likely alternatives on AF through AMS.
As I mentioned in the original posting, we are contemplating a routing from LAX-ATH, connecting at CDG. LAX to CDG is Delta, and the connection is with Air France to Athens.

If I were to miss AF's scheduled flight, hopefully they put me on the next nonstop to ATH, operated by A3.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Can you fly LAX-CDG with AF? You would then be entitled to EU261 comp which would make them more likely to put you on A3 to save them money.

If not it it looks like you’ll have a long wait at CDG - if that happens have a day in Paris instead of waiting at the airport.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think it is unlikely that they will rebook you on OA but it is possible.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM
As much as I loathe the CDG connection, with 75 minutes you should be fine. Only potential problem is if you get a bus gate upon arrival, but even then, it's doable.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Both DL and AF should interline with A3. IMO what's likely to happen in Paris if a DL to AF connection is missed would depend on status and fare class, although as someone pointed out upthread, being rebooked onto a nonpartner is more likely to happen if doing so should be cheaper than paying mandated EC261 compensation. A three or eight hour daytime delay doesn't matter much for duty of care, so the difference would be the mandatory delay compensation if there aren't extraordinary events such as weather, ATC, or strikes/work slowdowns/other union actions as a cause (or contributing factor as the airline is likely to argue the reason which is cheapest for them).

Also, as someone pointed out, taking an AF operated TATL flight would mean coverage under EC261 rules, but IMO OTOH there's a risk of an AF strike. Past data points suggest that longhaul flights are mostly maintained during strikes while the shorter flights are more at risk of cancellation, but YMMV and even flights that operate can experience delays.

If you're impacted by a strike, you're likely to be rebooked onto the first flight by any carrier which interlines and has space, which might not be the same day as there will be many other passengers also needing seats.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:20 am
RJ1
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input.

As I was considering the LAX-CDG-ATH routing on DL and AF, another business saver routing opened up.... LAX-AMS-ATH all on KL, so I grabbed that instead. The connection at AMS is 3 1/2 hours, so plenty of time (more than enough! LOL).
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:07 am

I'm glad OP got a schedule that you liked.

I'm not entirely familiar with EU regulations does anyone know what would happen if the LAX/CDG flight arrived on time or even early, but then the passenger is held up in customs for whatever reason. Would DL/AF be bound by the EU regulations on compensation in this case? Like say someone else on that same LAX/CDG flight even made that exact same connection. It's not the airlines fault. It may not even be the passengers fault if they get pulled for random extra screening. I'm not asking what DL/AF Would do, but more what are they obligated to do by EU regs.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
While AF will handle the paperwork, it applies DL's policies when it acts as DL's agent.
Come on. Delta employees don't always follow Delta policy. Expecting that an Air France worker at CDG (assuming they aren't on a workers' strike) will correctly apply a Delta policy is far-fetched.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by RJ1
As I mentioned in the original posting, we are contemplating a routing from LAX-ATH, connecting at CDG. LAX to CDG is Delta, and the connection is with Air France to Athens.
Is it a Delta-issued ticket or an Air France-issued ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.