Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pvn
Five guys is indeed overrated but he didn't claim it was underrated or properly rated, he just said it was better than shake shack, and it is. It's also a LOT better than in and out.

average hamburger > five guys >>> shake shack >> wendy's > mcdonalds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in and out
Pfft, get out of here! I like potato buns, and shack sauce is better than most "spreads". And going beyond the burger, Shack has a great chicken sandwich too.

Fuddruckers > Culver's > In-N-Out > Wendy's = Shake shack > Smashburger > Five Guys >>>>>>>> McDonald's
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:54 am

A question regarding food available in the two SC's. It used to be that T3 had more or less take-out, convenience items only, such as sandwiches. Good if you have to grab and run and unable to spare the the time for the more civilized offerings in T2. Has T3 now rid itself of those fast options? Thanks for any updates.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Last week T3 Skyclub had the same food catering of any small SC - no prepackaging any more.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Prepackaged sandwiches would have been better than the same old chicken salad and celery sticks
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Likemiles
A question regarding food available in the two SC's. It used to be that T3 had more or less take-out, convenience items only, such as sandwiches. Good if you have to grab and run and unable to spare the the time for the more civilized offerings in T2. Has T3 now rid itself of those fast options? Thanks for any updates.

Yes, those are gone. That was only for the first few months or maybe even less. I assume they needed to set up some type of new kitchen facility or figure out a way to get food regularly moved over from T2.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:05 am

Yes, pre-packaged was what I meant. Too bad the SC in T3 has been enhanced. All the same, thanks for the helpful responses, serfty, pvn, and jdrtravel.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by josephstern
I know space is tight here, but I always wish they'd make the sidewalks wider. With the smokers and the Ubers and the vans, it's hard to walk laterally.
then please advocate for airside smoking lounges at major airports!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I flew to/from T3 this week. All I can say, is that DL definitely got the short end of the stick by moving out of T5/6 for the dump that is T2/3. I was really disappointed. The piers reminded me of JFK's T2 which is also a total dump. I hope these renovations make a major impact. The whole LAX airport in current state is an embarrassment. It's worse than a 3rd World country trying to get in and out of there via taxi/bus/shuttle. They should level it and make parallel concourses.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you been in T2? It's really not bad - maybe better than T5 was.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
then please advocate for airside smoking lounges at major airports!
How about for banning it at all on airport property?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I flew to/from T3 this week. All I can say, is that DL definitely got the short end of the stick by moving out of T5/6 for the dump that is T2/3. I was really disappointed. The piers reminded me of JFK's T2 which is also a total dump. I hope these renovations make a major impact. The whole LAX airport in current state is an embarrassment. It's worse than a 3rd World country trying to get in and out of there via taxi/bus/shuttle. They should level it and make parallel concourses.
In looks yes the short end. However in number of gates they won. Also LAWA is paying for the terminal renovations, albeit through rent reduction to DL. Thus DL got what it needed right away (gates), and gets LAWA to pay for improvements DL gets to design.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HDQDD
DL got more gates, which is priceless at LAX. The terminals can be improved, but the number of gates can't. When the renovation is finished, DL will have brand new terminals, and they'll have more gates than any other airline at LAX.
pvn and McGowan06 like this.

Last edited by ryandc99; Jun 24, 2018 at 10:11 am Reason: Removed unnecessary personal attack.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
In looks yes the short end. However in number of gates they won. Also LAWA is paying for the terminal renovations, albeit through rent reduction to DL. Thus DL got what it needed right away (gates), and gets LAWA to pay for improvements DL gets to design.
LAWA decided to reimburse Delta in cash. When the project is complete, LAWA will increase the terminal rates and other charges for T2 and T3 to recover the improvement costs over the lease term. (See the latest Annual Report for confirmation.)

Per LAWA's own estimates, there is already existing demand at peak times for the 27 gates that T3/T2 will have once construction is completed. LAWA was very clear in the Final EIR that it did it did not "give" Delta gates so that it could dramatically increase its operations. (See the Final EIR for confirmation.)

Last edited by LDVFlyer; Jun 22, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
LAWA decided to reimburse Delta in cash. When the project is complete, LAWA will increase the terminal rates and other charges for T2 and T3 to recover the improvement costs over the lease term. (See the latest Annual Report for confirmation.)

Per LAWA's own estimates, there is already existing demand at peak times for the 27 gates that T3/T2 will have once construction is completed. LAWA was very clear in the Final EIR that it did it did not "give" Delta gates so that it could dramatically increase its operations. (See the Final EIR for confirmation.)
However I thought the "cash" to cover the construction is being paid in form of rent reduction. DL pays full rate, but then LAWA posts a credit to reimburse what Delta paid in constructions costs on behalf of LAWA. Basically LAWA gets a free loan from Delta, and pays it back with a credit on Delta's bill from LAWA. Once the cost is reimbursed, Delta's bill stays the same, just with no more credits must actually write a check to LAWA.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
agree it would be great to ban smoking on the property since when they smoke on the side walk it just gets in the face of everyone else.
josephstern and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.