Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL kicks off "Sky Way at LAX", $1.86b, 5 year modernization

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Seems odd to have headhouses at stations from which ships depart, but perhaps the "miracle" of flight earned the right to borrow terms from everything that came before.
Never knew it until just now, but the term actually comes from train stations per Merriam.

I thought it was just trendy when I saw it in conjunction with Monihan (the new headhouse for Pen Station). But I guess that was proper and airports are trendy.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Statman
Wow! It's so beautiful! Can't wait for that! I am look forward to it. Hope I can visit LAX during same day trip.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by exwannabe
But I guess that was proper and airports are trendy.
I suppose it's more efficient (and glamorous) than "new check-in facility", but borrowing railroad terms goes back a long time.

PA and later DL referred to the demand-based additional flights on the Shuttles as "extra sections" similar to the way passenger railroads used the term in the past.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I wonder what they will do with the old club space in Terminal 2 once the new main club opens? Keep it open as a Satellite Club, turn it into a D1 only club?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Statman
The most impressive part for me is the expansive TSA area. I guess having to deal with the built-for-pre-9/11 T2 security space for so many years, just an adequate screening area is a gigantic improvement.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by socalflying
New check-in area and Sky Club to open April 20th. Have seen Ed's smiling face on more than one local newscast this evening.

https://news.delta.com/consolidated-...nability-focus
That's hard to page through.

When do the T3 gates reopen?

David
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I went 57 years without ever hearing the term "headhouse" notwithstanding millions of travel miles in countless airports. Now, I can't un-hear it.
Give it 12 more years?
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Zorak
Give it 12 more years?
Well, one side of my family is long lived with excellent hearing and the other side is not quite as long lived with not so excellent hearing.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
SO Delta will have three SkyClubs at LAX (this new one, which appears to before the actual terminal spaces, and two in Terminal 2)?

The existing SkyClubs have the big advantage of being near Terminal 2 gates, which these "headhouse" SkyClubs lack
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
That's hard to page through.

When do the T3 gates reopen?

David
Roughly labor day
Old Mar 30, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
SO Delta will have three SkyClubs at LAX (this new one, which appears to before the actual terminal spaces, and two in Terminal 2)?

The existing SkyClubs have the big advantage of being near Terminal 2 gates, which these "headhouse" SkyClubs lack
I'm certain one of T2 clubs will close. Potentially one will open in new T3, not sure
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Regardless, as compared to JFK, any LAX SC, even if there is only one, will seem like a morning walk to the curb to pick up the newspaper or get the mail.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL,US
Hopefully they turn one of those SCs back into a Virgin Clubhouse. Right now if you want service in a DL to VS Connection you have to either exit security to go back to the ticket counter or wait by the gate until an agent shows. So it would be nice to have a better than sky club option when flying VS and also have a place to go to work on your res, or IRROPS or whatever.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
The most impressive part for me is the expansive TSA area. I guess having to deal with the built-for-pre-9/11 T2 security space for so many years, just an adequate screening area is a gigantic improvement.
Come through DCA and see the massive security areas the airport just opened a few months ago. It’s crazy.
But yes, for LAX this is a good improvement. At T2 Clear has been a life saver.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 4:13 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
SO Delta will have three SkyClubs at LAX (this new one, which appears to before the actual terminal spaces, and two in Terminal 2?
What about the rumored D1 lounge? Any word on whether it will be built in T3, or will they be repurposing one of the T2 lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.