emergency medical failure

Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

emergency medical failure

When parked outside the gate on a plane with no air, feeling like 95 degrees, no ice, no cold water, and one glass of warm water where a 10 minute delay to burn fuel turns into an hour with no notice and I begin to experience heat exhaustion.

A request to the stewardess, repeated, for cold water or other drink, air conditioning, or take me off this
plane was met with no, no, no. Being of age I have less tolerance than some about heat tolerance.

What do I do?

There seem to be no guidelines for length of time and excess temperatures.

Help!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's deja vu all over again -- the three hour rule exceptions
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Was this on a CRJ-200 by chance? If you are not feeling well insist on getting help from the FA. The crew should do everything they can for you, including getting back to the gate to cool the plane off.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:21 am

As someone who is young and was the 3d person at my place of employment (which was accidentally a hospital) that fell ill with heat-stroke one summer, I can sympathize. Keeping hydrated is important, and I think drinks should be provided free of charge unless the temperature inside the plane can be kept below 20 centigrades - and in unlimited supply.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I did and there was no response.
Seems to me an hour at over 90 with no cold refreshment and no air (warm or not) is an issue all by itself.
Yes the little ones
they should have asked for volunteers to lighten the plane before pulling from the fate an immediately saying we are
holding for 10 minutes to burn fuel.
but after an hour I either fainted or fell asleep having repeated requests for service or help.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:34 am

Teaching moment of why one should never board without having a personal supply of fluids and food. Do not rely on the airline.
SoonerRed, Ysitincoach and Kumul like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by overdahill
When parked outside the gate on a plane with no air, feeling like 95 degrees, no ice, no cold water, and one glass of warm water where a 10 minute delay to burn fuel turns into an hour with no notice and I begin to experience heat exhaustion.

A request to the stewardess, repeated, for cold water or other drink, air conditioning, or take me off this
plane was met with no, no, no. Being of age I have less tolerance than some about heat tolerance.

What do I do?

Help!
There are, indeed guidelines for deplaning in excessive temperatures. Taking out the drama, how hot was it, really?

'The excessive heat is making me feel ill. I need to deplane,' will get you all the attention you need - and maybe a ride on your back to the airport medical clinic.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Teaching moment of why one should never board without having a personal supply of fluids and food. Do not rely on the airline.
Yes, the unfortunate reality.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

I had food and my medicine. Not sufficient carry on space for more than one item. Not a full size jet.
Still there are temperature and time limits no matter what. Maybe I should teach you young man?
Young uns and very old uns cannot be so held responsible.

If you were in either of my two hospitals emr, fired.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:53 am

This sounds like you were burning fuel on taxi-out for departure, is that correct? Just had a hard time interpreting.

If so, I guess that surprises me as I would have assumed the engine running would be a primary method of burning fuel. As everyone knows those planes get stifling once pre-conditioned air has been disconnected until an engine has been started and that can be a painful time.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:06 pm

I had food and my medicine. Not sufficient carry on space for more than one item. Not a full size jet.
Still there are temperature and time limits no matter what. Maybe I should teach you young man?
Young uns and very old uns cannot be so held responsible.

If you were in either of my two hospitals emr, fired.
Jeez...chill out pops :-)

Just trying to be helpful.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

What do I do?

Help!
Dont insist on a cold drink. Room temperature water will hydrate you just as well as a cold drink, even if it doesnt feel as good.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gernabae
This sounds like you were burning fuel on taxi-out for departure, is that correct? Just had a hard time interpreting.

If so, I guess that surprises me as I would have assumed the engine running would be a primary method of burning fuel. As everyone knows those planes get stifling once pre-conditioned air has been disconnected until an engine has been started and that can be a painful time.
Yes it was. the closed the door and announced that we need to burn fuel as we were to heavy. only 10 min but turned
into an hour. No air no cold water or ice or any means of cooling. Engines running but no air till in sky. O2 deprivation was probably also occurring.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM

Dont insist on a cold drink. Room temperature water will hydrate you just as well as a cold drink, even if it doesnt feel as good.
But warm water does not reduce body temperature! So both are important.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Jeez...chill out pops :-)

Just trying to be helpful.
Helpful is to help the guidelines of extreme conditions be published.
Second to provide for penalties for abuse or non response to debord request when it is
possible to do so.
andymell likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.