Wiki Posts
Search

Aye dun lernt sumpin' knew tewday!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Aye dun lernt sumpin' knew tewday!

Yeah, I've imbibed a full bottle of Cab, so screw the search bots.... ;-)

I'm booked for SYD in a few weeks, but my sainted Spousal Unit-1 was uncertain as to her ability to join. Having received clearance from SU1, I called the "DM line" to book her into my itinerary where, to my surprise, I was told that GUCs trump miles upgrades (I forgot the nomenclature for miles tickets... is it RDA?), which kinda blew my mind. I booked her into C+ and figured I would UG her using miles, but just happened to ask whether I should use GUCs instead, to which the agent informed me that GUCs trump MILES and she'd be waitlisted (is that WL in FT parlance?) regardless of which course I chose, but that the almighty GUC would usurp miles.

I dunno -- maybe this is silly and a ModGod will sentence my post into eternal purgatory, but I feel that I added to my spartan knowledge of the TravelVerse.

Wine is of the devil.

Last edited by TheHorta; May 31, 2018 at 12:51 am
Old May 31, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: DL DM PM
I've often assumed they did but thanks for confirming.

I presume it is only on the same fare class that the priority applies? If I happen to buy a miles-UG-eligible fare I'll UG with miles if I can, but only WL with a GUC. I'm much more likely to not have a miles-UG-eligible fare so would have to UG with a GUC. I presume someone WL'd with miles would trump me as they by definition have a higher-class fare.

Hope you're not suffering for that Cab this morning!
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Smile With a title like your thread starter...

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Yeah, I've imbibed a full bottle of Cab, so screw the search bots.... ;-)

I'm booked for SYD in a few weeks, but my sainted Spousal Unit-1 was uncertain as to her ability to join. Having received clearance from SU1, I called the "DM line" to book her into my itinerary where, to my surprise, I was told that GUCs trump miles upgrades (I forgot the nomenclature for miles tickets... is it RDA?), which kinda blew my mind. I booked her into C+ and figured I would UG her using miles, but just happened to ask whether I should use GUCs instead, to which the agent informed me that GUCs trump MILES and she'd be waitlisted (is that WL in FT parlance?) regardless of which course I chose, but that the almighty GUC would usurp miles.

I dunno -- maybe this is silly and a ModGod will sentence my post into eternal purgatory, but I feel that I added to my spartan knowledge of the TravelVerse.

Wine is of the devil.
You should change your user name to Pa Kettle.
TheHorta and ND76 like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that waitlisted GUC upgrades go to the gate, while waitlisted mileage upgrades do not, it seems rather implicit that GUC's have a higher priority. This fact has been discussed here numerous times before.

"If the Mileage Upgrade Award is not available at the time of request, a Member holding a confirmed, eligible Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+ reservation on a flight may request to be placed on the upgrade waitlist. ... Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available."
"Mileage Upgrade Awards do not carry over to the Airport Standby List."
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 31, 2018 at 4:08 am
Old May 31, 2018, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian

You should change your user name to Pa Kettle.
That username is already taken, and I know who he is.

Phone agents seem to say different things, even with great degrees of confidence. DL doesn't publish information about the GUC/RUC versus miles upgrade priority ranking. Indeed, I've been told that the order of processing upgrades using instruments depends only on the time of request and not fare class or elite status, but I don't necessarily believe that either.

OTOH it is true, and is published DL policy (with many reports of it being followed) of miles upgrades not going to the gate, although some GAs are willing to process mileage upgrades at the gate if they have time and know how to do it.

It's also true that upgrades supported by GUCs/RUCs are ranked higher (assuming that the request has been done correctly by DL agents, which is a big qualification) than free elite upgrades at the gate and before then, they pull from different inventory classes.
DiverDave and TheHorta like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
upgrades go to the gate, while waitlisted mileage upgrades do not

This is the most important part, esp. on that route. I think DL is unlikely to clear the waitlist in advance on this route that regularly sells D1 for a lot of money, so you are probably looking at a gate upgrade, which is not possible with miles (unless you happen to find that rare GA that can & will do it, as MSP mentioned).
TheHorta likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mspeconomist
phone agents seem to say different things, even with great degrees of confidence.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.