FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Website Lies - There is No Priority Check-On for Silvers at CDG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1911504-delta-website-lies-there-no-priority-check-silvers-cdg.html)

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 10:35 am

Delta Website Lies - There is No Priority Check-On for Silvers at CDG

Just flew back from CDG to the US on AF (DL codeshere.)

The Delta website at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s.html#airport has a chart which lists "Priority Check-In" as a Silver benefit, and footnote 10 to the chart (which is apparently mis-numbered as it doesn't correspond to the chart) says:
Priority Check-In: Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members may use the Sky Priority check-in lanes. Certain airports may have a dedicated check-in lane for Silver Medallion Members. At airports which do not have a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in lane, Silver Medallion Members are permitted to use the Sky Priority check-in lane.
Well, I was just there, and this is simply not true - if you are Silver (Skyteam Elite), you cannot use the Sky Priority Check-In, nor is there any separate check-in are for Skyteam Elite.

OK, I could understand if this was some outstation on Aeroflot. But this is the home airport of a joint venture partner of Delta, where Delta itself has a substantial number of flights.

I will likely write to Delta to see the response, but I'm not looking for miles, I am looking for a fix. Anyone know if Delta has ever given a reason for this discrepancy? Seems to me they should either give priority access to Silvers, or modify the website to be accurate on this point.

StayingHomeIsBetter May 28, 2018 10:47 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 29802144)
Just flew back from CDG to the US on AF (DL codeshere.)

The Delta website at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...s.html#airport has a chart which lists "Priority Check-In" as a Silver benefit, and footnote 10 to the chart (which is apparently mis-numbered as it doesn't correspond to the chart) says:
Priority Check-In: Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members may use the Sky Priority check-in lanes. Certain airports may have a dedicated check-in lane for Silver Medallion Members. At airports which do not have a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in lane, Silver Medallion Members are permitted to use the Sky Priority check-in lane.
Well, I was just there, and this is simply not true - if you are Silver (Skyteam Elite), you cannot use the Sky Priority Check-In, nor is there any separate check-in are for Skyteam Elite.

OK, I could understand if this was some outstation on Aeroflot. But this is the home airport of a joint venture partner of Delta, where Delta itself has a substantial number of flights.

I will likely write to Delta to see the response, but I'm not looking for miles, I am looking for a fix. Anyone know if Delta has ever given a reason for this discrepancy? Seems to me they should either give priority access to Silvers, or modify the website to be accurate on this point.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Hanlon's Razor -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

FlyerWx May 28, 2018 11:02 am

Out of curiosity, are you sure the SkyPriority sign in front of check-in didn't say something like "We also welcome SkyTeam Elite" ?? It's usually toward the bottom or in smaller font.

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 11:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 29802213)
Out of curiosity, are you sure the SkyPriority sign in front of check-in didn't say something like "We also welcome SkyTeam Elite" ?? It's usually toward the bottom or in smaller font.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ce8d2efc22.jpg

FlyerWx May 28, 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 29802258)

That's new -- I think :eek:

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 29802174)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Hanlon's Razor -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

I don't know that the incorrect information rises to the level of malice - but, I suspect that some managerial staff is aware that the information is wrong and has knowingly left the false information up there.

I submitted a complaint to Delta, and will see what the response is - although my suspicion is that response will be an apology, but that neither the policy nor the website will change.

jdrtravel May 28, 2018 1:06 pm

It's worth reporting as priority check in is listed as an alliance wide benefit for Sky Team Elite pax:

https://www.skyteam.com/en/frequent-flyers/

(scroll down to see the benefits chart)

It does note at the bottom of the chart "Available priority services may vary by airport." So I suppose this gives them an out for any benefit at anytime, but I think it is reasonable to expect that STE check-in should be available at CDG, and really that a large station like this should provide 100% of the promised benefits.

roberta_h May 28, 2018 1:11 pm

were you turned away from the sky priority line?

exwannabe May 28, 2018 1:19 pm

On the international benefit page I do not see this. All I see is the generic :

Note: All benefits may not be available on all carriers or in all airports.
I will still agree with you that this is deceptive. Most all commercial websites are being redesigned to obfuscate real data.

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29802574)
It's worth reporting as priority check in is listed as an alliance wide benefit for Sky Team Elite pax:

https://www.skyteam.com/en/frequent-flyers/

(scroll down to see the benefits chart)

It does note at the bottom of the chart "Available priority services may vary by airport." So I suppose this gives them an out for any benefit at anytime, but I think it is reasonable to expect that STE check-in should be available at CDG, and really that a large station like this should provide 100% of the promised benefits.

I saw the benefit on the Skyteam website along with the disclaimer at the bottom. As the Delta website contained no such disclaimer, I used the Delta website in my post on Flyertalk as well as in the email I sent to Delta.

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by roberta_h (Post 29802587)
were you turned away from the sky priority line?

Given the clarity of the sign, I did not try to enter the Sky Priority Check-in area.

However, while waiting in the non-Sky Priority area, I did ask an Air France employee if I had to wait there given my elite status (as I pointed to the elite designation on the boarding pass) and he said yes I had to wait in the general check-in area.

jdrtravel May 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 29802629)
Given the clarity of the sign, I did not try to enter the Sky Priority Check-in area.

However, while waiting in the non-Sky Priority area, I did ask an Air France employee if I had to wait there given my elite status (as I pointed to the elite designation on the boarding pass) and he said yes I had to wait in the general check-in area.

In the future I would suggest that you simply enter the Sky Priority line and proceed until you are turned away. When someone turns you away, then ask where the STE line is, and explain that you understand that this is a benefit.

Often1 May 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29802779)
In the future I would suggest that you simply enter the Sky Priority line and proceed until you are turned away. When someone turns you away, then ask where the STE line is, and explain that you understand that this is a benefit.

Sounds as though OP neither tried to assert the use of the lane or to speak with someone from DL on the spot (99% of problems are best dealt with on the spot).

At best, OP will be reminded that DL does not guarantee all services at all airports as per DL's website and at worst, he'll hear back something even more bland.

BigFlyer May 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29802895)
Sounds as though OP neither tried to assert the use of the lane or to speak with someone from DL on the spot (99% of problems are best dealt with on the spot).

At best, OP will be reminded that DL does not guarantee all services at all airports as per DL's website and at worst, he'll hear back something even more bland.

As I mentioned, I did have a discussion with an Air France employee about whether I as a Delta Elite had to wait in the general line. I did not think that having a legalistic argument with someone who spoke English as a second language and who had no power to change the local rules that were in place would have been productive. As far as talking to someone from DL on the spot - this was an AF operated flight, all of the personnel that I saw were AF, not DL (just as when I left the US all of the people I dealt with were AF, not DL.)

flyerCO May 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer (Post 29802920)
As I mentioned, I did have a discussion with an Air France employee about whether I as a Delta Elite had to wait in the general line. I did not think that having a legalistic argument with someone who spoke English as a second language and who had no power to change the local rules that were in place would have been productive. As far as talking to someone from DL on the spot - this was an AF operated flight, all of the personnel that I saw were AF, not DL (just as when I left the US all of the people I dealt with were AF, not DL.)

AF operated. Right there absolved DL. Partners are not required to offer same benefits as your home airline.