Commitment to international

Old May 27, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Commitment to international

I was reading the thread on a return to Mumbai and looking at my own travel and realize that each year I fly less and less Delta for my international travel. Why fly from the east coast via Seattle to get to Hkg when Cathay has better nonstop,service. DtW I was willing to deal with

other routes I once frequented are now gone or the service is so far less than other airlines that I no longer fly delta. This year with no Amex waiver diamond will be a challenge as my most expensive travel is no longer on delta and their partners are t great. To get the spend up I took an expensive last minute business trip flight to Lhr on delta a route I had pretty much switched to first on America or ba. I would have said I didn’t care much about things like sleeper suits and mattress pads or flagship dining but I got into my seat on the 767 and thought never again I feel like I am in cattle car

delta is still my prefered domestic carrier but for international they just don’t cut it for me between routes and service

Last edited by tennessetom; May 27, 2018 at 8:35 am Reason: typo
Old May 27, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tennessetom
I was reading the thread on a return to Mumbai and looking at my own travel and realize that each year I fly less and less Delta for my international travel. Why fly from the east coast via Seattle to get to Hkg when Cathay has better nonstop,service. DtW I was willing to deal with

other routes I once frequented are now gone or the service is so far less than other airlines that I no longer fly delta. This year with no Amex waiver diamond will be a challenge as my most expensive travel is no longer on delta and their partners are t great. To get the spend up I took an expensive last minute business trip flight to Lhr on delta a route I had pretty much switched to first on America or ba. I would have said I didn’t care much about things like sleeper suits and mattress pads or flagship dining but I got into my seat on the 767 and thought never again I feel like I am in cattle car

delta is still my prefered domestic carrier but for international they just don’t cut it for me between routes and service
Partners earn far more MQD flying them is what helps meet MQD. LHR should be all A330 now. BA is laughable. J is considered the worst of any European airline and F is considered nowadays to be J level of service.

There will always be some routes where one carrier routing doesn't make sense. Note that with new KE JV there is some much better option via ICN now then before for DL flyers.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

other routes I once frequented are now gone or the service is so far less than other airlines that I no longer fly delta.
That demands a re-evaluation - which it sounds like you're doing over your specific routes - but it doesn't begin to make an argument that Delta lacks a commitment to international flying. Last month DL flew 6.7 Billion international revenue passenger miles. Last year, Delta flew about 10% more international RPMs than did AA. It had lie-flats on all its international widebodies three years before AA did. Delta has a very big international network. Does it look different from it did ten years ago? Yes, around the edges, mostly, but with more LAX and SEA departures. If you need a non-stop SFO-NRT to be happy, Delta isn't your carrier.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I feel pretty sure that DTW-HKG will be announced within the next year, barring an economic downturn (note, I have no inside information, just my intuition) and it will have a business class suite, which is a pretty competitive product. As DL's A350 fleet continues to grow, they have to do something with them.

That said, if HKG is a frequent destination, its hard to beat Cathay. All US airlines combined doesn't even come close to Cathay's US-HKG route network.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kjnangre
That said, if HKG is a frequent destination, its hard to beat Cathay. All US airlines combined doesn't even come close to Cathay's US-HKG route network.
FWIW - For unknown reasons, DL is always weak on HKG market, but not because of CX.

In the pm-NW era, I believe there were HKG-SEA/MSP and then HKG-MSP. In the DL era, HKG-NRT/DTW and now HKG-SEA.

My 2 cents is DL never succeeds in making a stand in a particular city, because DL's strategy for HKG has been changing at all times. AA has been successful in maintaining 2 new routes. UA has experienced minor cut in HKG (HKG-NRT/SGN/SIN) but still stands strong for the US-HKG market.

Bottom line - DL does not know WTH they are doing.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - For unknown reasons, DL is always weak on HKG market, but not because of CX.

In the pm-NW era, I believe there were HKG-SEA/MSP and then HKG-MSP. In the DL era, HKG-NRT/DTW and now HKG-SEA.

My 2 cents is DL never succeeds in making a stand in a particular city, because DL's strategy for HKG has been changing at all times. AA has been successful in maintaining 2 new routes. UA has experienced minor cut in HKG (HKG-NRT/SGN/SIN) but still stands strong for the US-HKG market.

I think it's you who doesn't know what they are doing. The aviation world was a very different place in the pre-merger era. DL is building an Asian gateway at SEA, and dismantling its hub at NRT. They are pretty consistent on that multi-year plan. I guess they should cancel it just because you think that changing strategy makes them look confused? Ok then.

Eastern time zone to HKG is hard to make a profit on. DL's preference to use its planes on routes where they can make more profit isn't that crazy. But, as I said, as DL's long haul fleet continues to grow, I think DTW-HKG will come back
Old May 27, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The decision making on US to asia flights for Delta has been mostly influenced by the fate of the Japanese hub at Narita: as the viability of the Narita flights fades due to the migration to a newly opened up Haneda, the viability of the fifth freedom hub Delta operated there has been dwindling. If they could have gotten enough slots to fly HND-SIN/HKG/ICN/PVG/MNL, things might have worked out differently. But the move to Seattle both allowed Delta to chase an opportunity to win over a rapidly growing west coast city and to stem the bleeding in advance from what was guaranteed to eventually become a disaster at Narita.

Delta has been searching for a good east coast strategy ever since. China Eastern was the first attempt, but visa issues made that not particularly viable. Now, capitalizing on KE’s financial difficulties to get favorable terms, Delta has a viable and pleasant Asian connecting hub again. With a little price coordination and flight retiming, east coasters will soon have a comparable XXX-DTW/JFK-ICN-XXX portal to asia that bypasses Seattle. Good for everybody!
Old May 28, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung

Historical NW timetables (on archive.org) show NRT-HKG service only (no SEA-HKG or MSP-HKG). They may have briefly run those routes, but those were not mainstays like the NRT-HKG flight. The NW NRT-HKG flight and NRT hub very much pre-dates the DL era.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=flyerCO;29799286]Partners earn far more MQD flying them is what helps meet MQD. LHR should be all A330 now. BA is laughable. J is considered the worst of any European airline and F is considered nowadays to be J level of service.

dal still flies mostly the 767 on the jfk Lhr route. Our corporate fare almost always gets us into first on ba. When you take into account the on ground experience and wider more private suites say what you want but ba first beats delta one on either 767 version hands down.

Delta does slightly better on some of the other European routes but the seasonality of non-stop to places like Berlin drives me nuts and I use to regularly take the psa flight which was always packed but I think it was not profitable and it is gone

i get discontinuing dxb but once again another route that I once flew delta on.

To me the the only reason to go thru Seattle on delta to get to Asia would be to get the miles but I have no trouble hitting diamond between my mqms from my delta reserve and my actual travel. With me I end up doing all my most expensive travel on other airlines. Those committed to one airline might not mind Seattle

my only point was that in figuring out how to get to the spend qualification this year I noticed just how little of my actual spend has been going to Delta because of international which is where my spend is the greatest. I pretty much only buy first for domestic but even at that my domestic spend is just not that great. My ticket to Lhr was 5000 so that will get me there this year
Old May 28, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
JFK LHR should be A330. Looking at schedule all are. The only 767 i found is on MSP LHR. DL decided a year ago to switch to A330 from 767 for LHR flights.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:43 am

Not sure where you are getting the LHR info but Delta is flying almost every flight into LHR with the A330.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Apologies. I said jfk but I actually flew Boston to Lhr and it was a 767 as was the return flight as is the flight for. Mid July which is the next time I need be in London.

Last edited by tennessetom; May 28, 2018 at 7:00 am Reason: typo
Old May 28, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
NW. did fly MSP - HKG for a short time.

Originally Posted by LBJ
Historical NW timetables (on archive.org) show NRT-HKG service only (no SEA-HKG or MSP-HKG). They may have briefly run those routes, but those were not mainstays like the NRT-HKG flight. The NW NRT-HKG flight and NRT hub very much pre-dates the DL era.
I was on the inaugural flight from MSP to HKG. Still have the sterling silver chopsticks they gave me in the original box to prove it. But I think the route lasted less than a year.

I have to say flying upstairs and landing at the famous Kai Tak airport was a wonderful thrill.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

dal still flies mostly the 767 on the jfk Lhr route. Our corporate fare almost always gets us into first on ba. When you take into account the on ground experience and wider more private suites say what you want but ba first beats delta one on either 767 version hands down.

DeltaOne is a business class cabin so you should compare it to BA CW not F. At least with DL all seats have direct aisle access unlike BA.

That said people on the BA board do say that BA F is the best J experience,
Old May 28, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

DeltaOne is a business class cabin so you should compare it to BA CW not F. At least with DL all seats have direct aisle access unlike BA.

That said people on the BA board do say that BA F is the best J experience,
Recent cutbacks I feel have lowered it even more. I fly AUS/LHR on BA periodically. F today is ridiculous for what they charge. Will not fly BA J. Not sure how someone can say BA in any cabin is better than DL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.