Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary FLL SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond SkyMiles (2MM), Executive (Lifetime NWA) Skyclub, UAL Mileage Plus, IHG Plat Elite
Temporary FLL SkyClub

Flew out of FLL this morning on 1807 to Boston. Delta has placed a temporary SkyClub replacement on the D1-D5 side of the terminal. It's spartan but something! The always professional and friendly personnel (sincere statement) are there to assist; coffee, water and snack bags offered.

I appreciate the effort and gesture as they renovate the existing SkyClub to be opened in some form in October.

Old May 26, 2018, 12:25 pm

The FLL SkyClub crew really are tops.

Glad to hear that they opened a temporary club.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by N501US
Flew out of FLL this morning on 1807 to Boston. Delta has placed a temporary SkyClub replacement on the D1-D5 side of the terminal. It's spartan but something! The always professional and friendly personnel (sincere statement) are there to assist; coffee, water and snack bags offered.

I appreciate the effort and gesture as they renovate the existing SkyClub to be opened in some form in October.

FLL is my home airport and I can't agree more, the SkyClub personnel there are absolutely top notch and are making the best out of a tough situation. I don't fly nearly as much as some of you but they recognize me and acknowledge me by name before I even get to the counter every time I visit. I've always appreciated that. Last year during the hurricane I was scheduled to be on one of the last flights out of FLL before it closed, I slipped inside the SkyClub to see if they could help me out and get me on the earlier flight that was currently boarding and they got me on within a few minutes. Had they not, I would have ended up stranded at ATL.

I ducked in to the little temporary snack bar thing last Friday on the way to LGA. It isn't much (to say the least), but it's not nothing. It's a shame the completely renovated SC won't be open until 2020, especially when I didn't really have many complaints about the original SkyClub, but at least a full service temporary one will open in October.

Now if Delta can get the city/county to make parking less of a disaster we'd really be in business.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I agree...pretty cool that they opened an area where you could get help with your flights from the regular Sky Club agents and get a water before your flight. Very nice solution for a temporary problem!
Old May 26, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RumPatrol

It's a shame the completely renovated SC won't be open until 2020
Really??? What are they doing? Is FLL expected to have major growth or something?
Old May 26, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really??? What are they doing? Is FLL expected to have major growth or something?
FLL is completely renovating T2 which will add more concession space and a new SC on the mezzanine level.

Terminal 2 Modernization
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
FLL is expanding and modernizing across the board and Terminal 2 is just next up, the SC has to wait until the major construction is done. They already did part of Terminal 1 and are expanding Terminal 4 and modernizing 2 and 3. They added another runway a few years ago and are really trying to expand FLL's reach to new destinations, especially internationally. There's an Emirates flight to Dubai now and a British Airways flight to LGW.

I really didn't think Terminal 2 was that bad to begin with, but the modernization plan looks fantastic and anything that could potentially add international destinations to FLL would be great, I really hate having to drive down to MIA for certain international routings.

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
FLL is completely renovating T2 which will add more concession space and a new SC on the mezzanine level.
Terminal 2 Modernization
The fact that they aren't adding any new parking to go along with this massive expansion and modernization blows my mind but it looks great at least.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
It is my understanding that that There was thought given to closing half of the sky club while renovating the other half as they did at DCA but this was not a logistical option due to the construction being done.It is great to have a little “tent” to grab a light snack and have work done on a ticket when necessary.And yes, the Fort Lauderdale sky club staff is among the best in the route system! Thank you all!!
Old May 27, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
So no booze in FLL SC?
its a toss up for me to fly into PBI or FLL (FLL often cheaper from NYC), but sounds like into FLL and out of PBI for now?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Steve007NY
So no booze in FLL SC?
its a toss up for me to fly into PBI or FLL (FLL often cheaper from NYC), but sounds like into FLL and out of PBI for now?
The PBI SkyClub recently renovated and it is came out alright, I actually preferred it the old way, but the renovated club is perfectly fine.

I still give the edge to the FLL Club for the staff who are truly tops.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kmersh
The PBI SkyClub recently renovated and it is came out alright, I actually preferred it the old way, but the renovated club is perfectly fine.

I still give the edge to the FLL Club for the staff who are truly tops.
PBI is my home airport and the SC staff their is top notch. They have helped me a ton in IRROPS and are always friendly to me.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:43 am
pjs

The fact that they aren't adding any new parking to go along with this massive expansion and modernization blows my mind but it looks great at least.
It doesn't look like a "massive" expansion in terms of gates. Looks like about the same number. Seems like more of an expansion in terms of space for security checkpoint and more variety of shops and restaurants by moving the Sky Club upstairs. Parking is probably the one thing that airports should not be adding anyway based on the rise of ride-sharing services..
Old May 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
PBI is my home airport and the SC staff their is top notch. They have helped me a ton in IRROPS and are always friendly to me.
I am not sure why, but I have always found the PBI SkyClub staff to be like a year or two from retirement and just going through the motions. Twice, I have asked for a re-route due to irrops only to be told either to go to the gate or call (could just be my luck).

The FLL staff seems to almost automatically protect folks during irrops, added to that, I am nowhere near a regular and they know my name when I enter and always wish me a pleasant flight.

Having said that, there is one Delta employee at PBI who must be 6'5' or taller who is truly tops, but he works the ticket counter and gates, not the SkyClub unfortunately.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:10 pm

FLL is expanding and modernizing across the board and Terminal 2 is just next up, the SC has to wait until the major construction is done. They already did part of Terminal 1 and are expanding Terminal 4 and modernizing 2 and 3.
Originally Posted by pjs
It doesn't look like a "massive" expansion in terms of gates. Looks like about the same number. Seems like more of an expansion in terms of space for security checkpoint and more variety of shops and restaurants by moving the Sky Club upstairs. Parking is probably the one thing that airports should not be adding anyway based on the rise of ride-sharing services..
If you haven't seen it, I recommend checking out the FLL Master Plan video. I believe it was just published a few weeks ago. The link on the FLL website is now broken (although it worked a few days ago), but I found the same video on YouTube.

Some of the highlights:
  • Potential new satellite concourse to the west of Terminal 3.
  • An onsite hotel and commercial center on the site of the current Palm Garage.
  • Intermodal Transit Center with parking within the circular "loop" you drive entering the airport from US 1 heading south.
  • Landside People Mover connecting all terminals, the rental car center, and intermodal center.
  • Possible connections to monorail/other transit system to Port Everglades.
  • Although not explicitly mentioned, the video shows possible rail station to connect to the newly opened Brightline service.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Wow, looks very nice! I wish MCO was this serious about renovating the entire airport. They are renovating the check in areas and building a new Terminal for B6, but other than that, the rest of the airport will stay stuck in the 80s/90s. Also DL needs to improve the SC in MCO, it is severely lacking options compared to the PP lounge next door which is way more modern and has showers. Sorry, rant over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.