Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary FLL SkyClub

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by pjs
It doesn't look like a "massive" expansion in terms of gates. Looks like about the same number. Seems like more of an expansion in terms of space for security checkpoint and more variety of shops and restaurants by moving the Sky Club upstairs. Parking is probably the one thing that airports should not be adding anyway based on the rise of ride-sharing services..
While it is not a massive expansion of gates (they still did add some in the new concourse of Terminal 1 and 4), the expansion will allow them to expand the overall number of flights, specifically international flights. A big part of what they are doing is increasing the capacity of customs and immigration for the terminals serving international flights. The Terminal 2 expansion for Delta and the SkyClub is just modernization, and very necessary modernization at that, but the rest really is trying to make FLL a more appealing destination for international flights.

They've added a DXB direct flight on Emirates and a LGW direct on BA, in addition to the plentiful Latin America/Caribbean destinations. FLL is a very attractive destination for European, Russian and Middle Eastern travelers so I think the demand is there, who really wants to fly in and out of MIA if it can be avoided? Will it happen? I don't know, but right now FLL just lacks the infrastructure to do what they want to do, so I'm all for it. The actual logistics of it (gates, runways, etc) is not a problem.

As for parking, while I'd generally agree with you, FLL has a weird parking situation. Two of the three garages, the two nearest terminals 2, 3 and 4, are relatively small and often at max capacity while the largest garage is nearest terminal 1 and requires either a shuttle or an often times hot and humid outside walk to reach the other 3 terminals. That isn't to say it is awful, I'd still gladly take that over many other airport parking situations, but if you're in and out of FLL a few times a week it can be a grind and can sometimes add 15-20 minutes on either end of your flight. I really shouldn't complain though, it could be way worse.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really??? What are they doing? Is FLL expected to have major growth or something?
FLL is one of the fastest growing airports in the US due to significantly increased international traffic in the last few years. Some interesting stats:
Statistics

The T2 renovation won't create more gates in T2 itself, but it will connect it to T1 and T3 airside, and their long term plans for T3 are to completely demolish it and build a new gigantic terminal eventually bringing the total number of gates at the airport to around 100.

Here is the master plan, it's pretty cool stuff:
http://www.broward.org/Airport/Commu...v6finalada.pdf
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
really didn't think Terminal 2 was that bad to begin with...
FLL Terminal 2 is the worst. No seating when busy and awful concessions.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
So no booze in FLL SC?
its a toss up for me to fly into PBI or FLL (FLL often cheaper from NYC), but sounds like into FLL and out of PBI for now?
??? You would honestly choose to fly out of an airport just to go to a SkyClub? Ive never tasted anything in a SkyClub worth putting in my stomach. I have never sat in a SkyClub and wish I could stay longer.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Joshua C
FLL Terminal 2 is the worst. No seating when busy and awful concessions.
I mean I guess if those two things are what you're looking for in an airport terminal, sure, though it is still nowhere near the worst in those facets either. They aren't even the worst things about Terminal 2. If you're going to pick something pick the bathroom situation. That is a legitimate issue that needed fixing.

Perhaps I'm the outlier but I'd take the ease and convenience of FLL T2 over most of the places I fly in and out of on a regular basis. FLL isn't a hub so there aren't any connections or layovers, concessions should not be a big concern when all you're doing is showing up and getting on a plane. I suppose the people who need to arrive two hours early when they fly might give more weight to seating and concessions, I am luckily not one of those people.
monitor likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
So no booze in FLL SC?
No booze. No real seating either. Just an area off to the side where you can talk to an agent if need be, grab a snack bag and a coffee or water. I'm with others who are pleasantly surprised that they have done what they can in the interim, and agree about the great staff at the FLL club!

Originally Posted by RumPatrol

I really didn't think Terminal 2 was that bad to begin with,
With all due respect, T2 at FLL is a xxxx box. Limited seating at busy times, almost no power outlets, awful and limited concessions, and don't even get me started on the horrible ladies room. The reno is long overdue!!

Last edited by obscure2k; Jun 3, 2018 at 10:41 am Reason: deleted profanity
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett
No booze. No real seating either. Just an area off to the side where you can talk to an agent if need be, grab a snack bag and a coffee or water. I'm with others who are pleasantly surprised that they have done what they can in the interim, and agree about the great staff at the FLL club!

With all due respect, T2 at FLL is a sh*t box. Limited seating at busy times, almost no power outlets, awful and limited concessions, and don't even get me started on the horrible ladies room. The reno is long overdue!!
I won't argue at all for the restroom situation, as seen above. That's needed fixing for as long as I've flown from FLL. The men's restroom is a trainwreck with the most ill-conceived entrance I've ever seen, like a mountain switchback barely wide enough for two people, never mind luggage. I can't imagine how much worse the women's is. If for bathroom reno alone, this is worth it. If I didn't have SkyClub access already, I'd have bought it just to use the bathrooms in there. Well, would have before they closed it anyway. If they'd put a couple outhouses up in the little snack area, it would still be better than the bathrooms in the terminal itself.

The rest though, honestly, are not important to me. I get that they may be important to some and so I can see that side of the coin for sure, but I fly out of FLL at least once a week and I've never once found myself needing a place to sit or power or concessions. I've flown to some pretty spartan outposts stateside (and overseas) so I'm never without multiple battery packs to charge devices. Not to mention the better than good chance the plugs on the planes won't be working. As for seating and concessions, FLL isn't a hub/connecting airport so I've never found myself needing anything other than a bottle of water or a seat for longer than a few minutes, if that. I'd happily take FLL T2 as is. Doesn't mean it doesn't need the updating, it certainly does, but I'll take its convenience over its lack of amenities all day every day.

Perhaps I'm just easily pleased or have a very low bar to clear after having flown in and out of small midwestern outposts most of my life.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by aero0729
??? You would honestly choose to fly out of an airport just to go to a SkyClub? Ive never tasted anything in a SkyClub worth putting in my stomach. I have never sat in a SkyClub and wish I could stay longer.
I live 15 miles from IAD and 30 miles from DCA. Guess which one is my preferred airport? I still enjoy warming up for a Delta flight in the SkyClub.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ND76
I live 15 miles from IAD and 30 miles from DCA. Guess which one is my preferred airport? I still enjoy warming up for a Delta flight in the SkyClub.
I can list several other reason why I would choose to fly out of DCA over IAD, even if IAD was a little closer.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by ND76
What is warming up for a flight? You have to practice your role as passenger prior to boarding the aircraft? Skyclubs are overcrowded facilities with cheap beer and crappy food so I guess it’s good place to practice.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by kmersh
I am not sure why, but I have always found the PBI SkyClub staff to be like a year or two from retirement and just going through the motions. Twice, I have asked for a re-route due to irrops only to be told either to go to the gate or call (could just be my luck)
Having said that, there is one Delta employee at PBI who must be 6'5' or taller who is truly tops, but he works the ticket counter and gates, not the SkyClub unfortunately.
In 4 years using the SC at PBI I have never been told to go to the gate during IRROPS. I also can't think of any employee in the SC that looks near retirement age and goes through the motions.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I can't imagine how much worse the women's is. If for bathroom reno alone, this is worth it.

The rest though, honestly, are not important to me....I'm never without multiple battery packs to charge devices.....As for seating and concessions, FLL isn't a hub/connecting airport so I've never found myself needing anything other than a bottle of water or a seat for longer than a few minutes, if that. I'd happily take FLL T2 as is. Doesn't mean it doesn't need the updating, it certainly does, but I'll take its convenience over its lack of amenities all day every day.
The womens restroom is much like you described the mens, just add a cleaning cart that is permanently parked at the already awkward and undersized entrance, making a bad situation even worse.
I fly in and out of FLL, on average 6-8 times a year. Upon arrival, I often need to wait a bit before my BF can get there to pick me up. If I didn't have club access, there would be no enjoyable bar to sit and get a drink. (bar-yes, nice enjoyable one- no). Upon departure, I often leave at the crack of dawn and would love a healthy breakfast option but there isn't one outside the club where I can at least get oatmeal or a boiled egg. And it's not just about me. Keep in mind that this is a major airport for cruise passengers.... Early mornings when multiple ships are in port the place can be jam packed, with hardly a seat to be found, and many people waiting there for several hours. Likewise outside security, when cruise folks arrive more than 3 hours pre-flight and aren't allowed to check in yet, so end up sitting all over the place because there are maybe a dozen seats and that's it. Good for you for carrying multiple battery packs, I often carry one too, but come on- these days there is no reason not to have power available at virtually every seat. I guess the bottom line is this: you're happy with taking "convenience over amenities" but why have to choose? So on that note, yes, in my opinion this renovation is long overdue!
Now if only the renovation would include a complete re-staffing of the TSA agents there. They are consistently among the worst I've ever encountered, but I'm guessing that's not on the reno agenda, LOL.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
I’m sorry, but this temporary solution is not acceptable for two more years. It is truly a race to the bottom.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Originally Posted by El Miameño
I’m sorry, but this temporary solution is not acceptable for two more years. It is truly a race to the bottom.
Realizing the lack of space at FLL, I think the attempt to provide service is excellent! And, the project will be done in October!!!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:40 pm
pjs

Originally Posted by El Miameño
It's only until September I believe. They will re-open in part of the old space and work on the new club located the upper level, which will open in 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.